Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Books

• 19-12-2014 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Does anyone know where I could dispose of a lot of old books (not rare or valuable). They are in good condition so it would be a shame to dump them. There are novels and some non-fiction stuff.

Earlier this year I did a clearance of a family member's house following her death and she had a big collection. Anything remotely tatty was dumped. And family members were only interested in so many (and my house can only accommodate a limited amount). I need to clear the junk room aka spare bedroom for a guest over Christmas so getting rid of these books is of the essence.

I've been told by one charity shop that they don't take them any more and they believed that other charity shops were slow to take them too.

I'm quite happy to deliver anywhere in the city.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Bicycle wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Does anyone know where I could dispose of a lot of old books (not rare or valuable). They are in good condition so it would be a shame to dump them. There are novels and some non-fiction stuff.

Earlier this year I did a clearance of a family member's house following her death and she had a big collection. Anything remotely tatty was dumped. And family members were only interested in so many (and my house can only accommodate a limited amount). I need to clear the junk room aka spare bedroom for a guest over Christmas so getting rid of these books is of the essence.

I've been told by one charity shop that they don't take them any more and they believed that other charity shops were slow to take them too.

Limerick Animal Welfare should take them. Top of William Street :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Thanks FutureGuy. It was actually Limerick Animal Welfare who wouldn't accept the books earlier this month.

They were my first point of call because I think they are wonderful (and my sidekick - sniffing the keyboard as I type - is a hairy terrier type :o)) )

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Thanks FutureGuy. It was actually Limerick Animal Welfare who wouldn't accept the books earlier this month.

They were my first point of call because I think they are wonderful (and my sidekick - sniffing the keyboard as I type - is a hairy terrier type :o)) )

Try Oxfam shop in Williams street ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Maybe Novas might take some? or the mens hostel on Clare St.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Thank you both. I've spoken with Oxfam and they will only take books that are like new. White, not discoloured. And they would prefer to take them in the new year.

In the meanwhile, I was offered and took space somewhere else - but its very much a temporary measure. But at least I've bought some time. And can go through the books in January.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I'd be interested in who can take them as well. I used to work in Nenagh and the NCBI have a second hand book shop who were always delighted to take book donations, reasonable condition as well didn't have to be pristine. Would like to find somewhere similar here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

you could offer some of them to Adapt house, ring them and see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

You can always leave them at the recycling centre in Mungret, not in the recycle bin but on the big bookshelves where people can take books as they please. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

Hi folks,

hi...im teaching in a secondary school in limerick.zero budget for books so we would love to take them all.:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

^^^
    Where can I drop of some books, Mainly Bio's some Teenage stuff as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

boomerang wrote: »
    You can always leave them at the recycling centre in Mungret, not in the recycle bin but on the big bookshelves where people can take books as they please. :)

What a great idea .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Must do that myself. Does it cost to drop books to Mungret?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

seachto7 wrote: »
    Must do that myself. Does it cost to drop books to Mungret?

Five euro per car usually...bring everything you have, books, cardboard old electronics etc...

http://limerickrecyclingcentres.ie/?page_id=63

Advertisement