Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

washing a dog

• 19-12-2014 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭

What would be the best way to wash a Labrador these day?

. Its too cold to wash him outside and too heavy to lift up the stairs to the bath or shower. I would like to have me clean for Christmas day and his birthday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Grooming parlour? You would need somewhere that can blow dry as they can get cold with all that wet hair - also make sure not to get too much water down the ears otherwise they could get infected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

Grooming parlour? You would need somewhere that can blow dry as they can get cold with all that wet hair - also make sure not to get too much water down the ears otherwise they could get infected.

Nearest grooming place is booked out till next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

cena wrote: »
    . Its too cold to wash him outside and too heavy to lift up the stairs to the bath or shower. .

Is he injured or something and unable to go upstairs himself?

This time of year I tend to stick to wipes and if it's roll in poo situation a jug of warm soapy water outside and another to rinse them off..then into a drying towel straight away so they don't get cold.

tk123 wrote: »
    Is he injured or something and unable to go upstairs himself?

This time of year I tend to stick to wipes and if it's roll in poo situation a jug of warm soapy water outside and another to rinse them off..then into a drying towel straight away so they don't get cold.

He has never walked up stairs have tried him before and he won't do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You don't say where you are but I've seen mobile dog wash vans around my area. Just Google "mobile dog wash".

• Advertisement

If it was me I'd try to coax him up and save forking out to get him washed...my two swim all the time so no point in washing them! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Only thinking out loud here but can you get some long wooden planks or similar to form a path for him to walk up on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Did you explain to the groomer that you you just want him washed?, no cutting....they may squeeze you in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

As someone else said I use the doggy wipes for the most dirty parts just a basin of soapy water and a sponge with a towel to dry them. My two hate getting washed but love getting dirty! The feilds around here are a muck fest and it's underneath their tails and their bellies and legs that needs the most attention - they do a good job of self cleaning too thankfully. And I find a daily brush great for keeping other areas proper

I would be reluctant to get them soaking wet if its cold. Although I wish we had a body of water somewhere near where they could happily swim in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Funnily I had to do this exact thing last weekend. Huskies usually look after their own grooming, cleaning etc... But our 2 were in need of a winter wash, what with all the bad weather of late.

Usually I'd wash them on the deck... Stood in a kids clam shaped pool of warm water. Shampoo, clean, rinse with pots of like warm water and shake it off, shake it ooffffff.... A la Florebce and the machine! ;P

Sat night, herself was out at Xmas party - so I decided to bath them both, for the first time. To be fair, they're used to the stairs (only when told to) so that wasn't an issue.

I lit a roaring fire first, cleared bathroom of everything and had the bath and shampoo ready to go when Husky one was airlifted in.

I spent more time cleaning the bath afterwards than washing the dogs. Slowly lifted them in, treat bag at the ready, towels all lined up. Even had an old tea strainer to catch the hairs when I let the water out!

All in all, it can be done! Just prep well, ensure the dog isn't too anxious, and treat as you go. Then towel dry as much as you can, use a hair dryer (if they'll let you) or rotate in front of a hot fire - sort of like a rotisserie chicken!

I'd be very reluctant to let a wet dog to dry outside!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Hooked wrote: »
    I spent more time cleaning the bath afterwards than washing the dogs. Slowly lifted them in, treat bag at the ready, towels all lined up. Even had an old tea strainer to catch the hairs when I let the water out!

This bit really made me laugh! I only have a Shih Tzu, so he can easily go into the bath. The dog thinks because he has to have a bath, we must have one too!! :D Doesn't take long to wash him, but by the time I've finished, the bathroom resembles a small lake...:rolleyes:

Back OT. OP - have you tried calling the groomer and asking for a cancellation?

Have to say our bathroom does be wrecked too! Although it's quite small so 2 bath towels cover the floor and stop it getting flooded. I dry them in the bath too with the blaster to cut down the mess/water going everywhere and it works a treat.... But I only actually wash them in extreme circumstances lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

If you're in Dublin, I think the groomers in Maxi Zoo (the Leopardstown/Sandyford branch) allow people to bring their dogs in to be washed in their dog bath, you're charged at DIY rates as you're doing it yourself.

You'd have to get him home quite quickly though to prevent him getting cold.

jomalone14 wrote: »
    If you're in Dublin, I think the groomers in Maxi Zoo (the Leopardstown/Sandyford branch) allow people to bring their dogs in to be washed in their dog bath, you're charged at DIY rates as you're doing it yourself.

You'd have to get him home quite quickly though to prevent him getting cold.

Know of any other petshops that do that? There's no groomer in our local maxis but we have a petmania near us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

tk123 wrote: »
    Know of any other petshops that do that? There's no groomer in our local maxis but we have a petmania near us.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any others. It's only the Maxi Zoo XXL stores that have grooming facilities with the DIY Wash and Go for 10 euro. The stores in Dublin are Leopardstown/Sandyford and Finglas.

My local Maxi Zoo doesn't offer it (too small) but I travel to Sandyford, mainly to avoid the post-bath mess......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Would it be possible to use a baby bath? Use a jug for the pouring etc. Use it near a sink so you could rinse with clean water? I don't think they are very expensive but it's been a while since I've had to use one! You could probably pick one up second hand easy enough.

jomalone14 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any others. It's only the Maxi Zoo XXL stores that have grooming facilities with the DIY Wash and Go for 10 euro. The stores in Dublin are Leopardstown/Sandyford and Finglas.

My local Maxi Zoo doesn't offer it (too small) but I travel to Sandyford, mainly to avoid the post-bath mess......

Thanks - the Finglas one is near me! Didn't know they do it so will find out about it when I drop some stuff up to their donation box ;)

I live in galway. Half an hour drive from Athlone and near Roscommon town

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

bath with shower hose,then blow dryer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

OP, if it'll tide you over, try doggy dry shampoo. It's no bath, if he's mucky it's not much good to you but it's great for freshening up his fur between proper baths etc. I get it in Maxi Zoo and find it great.

Would he go up the stairs if you left a treat trail for him? Other than that I'd say try the baby bath. I have a labrador as well, I can get him up the stairs no bother but it's a fight to get him in the bathroom because he knows what's coming! He'll sit in the bath for a limited time as long as I keep giving him kisses and telling him how good he is, but he does give me this filthy look as if to say, "I'll sit here for ten minutes because I love you, but that is IT!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Ealasaid

Hooked wrote: »
    I lit a roaring fire first, cleared bathroom of everything and had the bath and shampoo ready

All in all, it can be done! Just prep well, ensure the dog isn't too anxious, and treat as you go. Then towel dry as much as you can, use a hair dryer (if they'll let you) or rotate in front of a hot fire - sort of like a rotisserie chicke

This is how we do it, but hadn't thought of using a tea strainer for the hair, brilliant idea Hooked!

Ealasaid wrote: »
    This is how we do it, but hadn't thought of using a tea strainer for the hair, brilliant idea Hooked!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pet-Head-Drain-Clogs-Catcher/dp/B005NJKQWA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419177520&sr=8-1&keywords=Pet+Head+Fur+Catcher ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Ealasaid

Oh excellent, tk123.

Advertisement