Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some advice

Options
  • 19-12-2014 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, I have been renting an apartment for almost 5 years now in the last 2 years i had been in trouble with my rent and had a lot of arrears. finally at the start of this month i got it all paid off and now i am up to date and getting back on my feet. In the time i was in trouble my washing machine stopped working. it is old and when i got the apartment it was old, my landlord said all along he would replace it when the rent is cleared , but now he wont even return any of my calls or texts... in the 5 years they have not replaced a thing everything was 2nd hand and broke. last week my daughter 8 years old cut her hand rather badly from a staple sticking out of the sofa
    Any advice on how i can get them to replace things, i am paying top market price on the place but ii do not think it is worth it..
    thanking you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Have you tried phoning him from a friends phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3 iomhar

Yes he has a phone just for tenants and if he does not know the number he does not answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Check the property is registered with the PRTB. If needed you can lodge a complaint with them and take it from there.

Well done on getting up to date with your arrears, especially this time of year with kids! I'd normally recommend fixing it yourself and deducting it from the rent but give your situation I'd avoid that for the next few months.

If you don't think it's worth the rent then, frankly, move.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OK for the last two years you have used your landlord as a forced lender to you. Now you have paid what you owe you expect him to bend over backwards and replace lots of stuff. Its not the cost of the replacement goods thats the issue for the landlord its y ou. If i were the landlord id do nothing I think as long as everything was safe because you are not a good tenant I would be hoping you would leave. Old habits die hard and i'm sure the LL is just waiting not to paid again. Its up to you to convince the LL other wise to get what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

OK for the last two years you have used your landlord as a forced lender to you. Now you have paid what you owe you expect him to bend over backwards and replace lots of stuff. Its not the cost of the replacement goods thats the issue for the landlord its y ou. If i were the landlord id do nothing I think as long as everything was safe because you are not a good tenant I would be hoping you would leave. Old habits die hard and i'm sure the LL is just waiting not to paid again. Its up to you to convince the LL other wise to get what you want.

Exactly what I was thinking. OP just step back for a minute. For two years you were behind in your rent, yet your landlord apparently did not issue an eviction notice. When you finally catch up, you give him only three weeks - in the busiest and most expensive month of the year - and then start complaining!

Be clear, after the last two years, you are not your landlord's top priority right now.

If you believe you can get better for your money, then maybe think about moving.

• Advertisement

Being a landlord is a business. In business sometimes clients can't pay. In the rarest of rarest gems you get a client that actually takes that obligation seriously and gets caught up. I'd estimate that at less than 10%.

The LL should have been maintaining the property while the tenant was in arrears, however I can understand that it's give and take and it sounds as if there has been a dialogue between the two parties. Now the tenant is caught up the LL is uncontactable.

I realise there is fault on both sides but the fact that its the baby jebus' birthday does not mean that the LL should disappear, again this is a business and the tenant is now current in their rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Landlord said they would fix things once arrears were all paid up. Now arrears are all paid up and they are not fixing things.

So what if the tenant WAS in arrears. She is now out of arrears and this was the agreement. The landlord should cough up and start fixing!

Luke92 wrote: »
    Landlord said they would fix things once arrears were all paid up. Now arrears are all paid up and they are not fixing things.

So what if the tenant WAS in arrears. She is now out of arrears and this was the agreement. The landlord should cough up and start fixing!

id like to hear the LL s opinion on this. this situation doesnt sound that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

In fairness the landlord is probably reluctant to invest anything in a property if the tenant has been in arrears for 2 years. He/She will probably replace the stuff if you keep your rent up to date going forward. If you don't he/she will probably buy new stuff and get a better tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 iomhar

My arrear occurred while undergoing treatment for AML (leukemia), up to that point i was always on time and never asked for a thing. Now that i am getting back on my feet again and the rent is 1200 euro pm. i think it should be furnished to that tune

• Advertisement

iomhar wrote: »
    My arrear occurred while undergoing treatment for AML (leukemia), up to that point i was always on time and never asked for a thing. Now that i am getting back on my feet again and the rent is 1200 euro pm. i think it should be furnished to that tune

Whats good for the goose is good for the gander - renting is a business.

That said we're talking about the basics here, a cheap washing machine is a very small sum and is essentially free to the LL in tax write offs.

I hope you're fully recovered! All I'll say is if the LL gave you a break maybe give them one over Xmas.

iomhar wrote: »

Id leave it until early in new year if i were you. keep paying rent on time.all the best

Advertisement