Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon des Escargots (full/half/10k ) July 11th 2015 Portarlington

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Start time for Saturday

Full - 09:30
    10k - 09:45
    Half - 11:15

These times might seem odd but they are to do with runner flow and safety.

Number collection will be open on the morning from 8am and there is free parking in Portarlington Train Station.

We were hoping to get all the numbers posted in advance but we don't think that will happen as we just haven't time to arrange with all that has to be done.

The different race times will help to keep the collection que short and we'll have a bigger area to do this compared to November.

Any more questions just pop them here and i'll do my best to get an answer.

Remember its all for charity so come on and get involved !!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Hi,
    what distances are the aid stations for the half marathon ?

Are the pacers confirmed ?

Thanks,
    Fearghal.

Hi,

Pacers are confirmed. We had a few drop out due to injury but we have

1:30
    1:40
    1:50
    2:00

The aid stations are at 5.5k, 11.5k, 16.5 and 19k. They are all roughly as i'm looking at a map here but not too far off.

The one at 12.5 will have coke as well as water.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

Hi Claude, is there anywhere to have a shower afterwards? I'm doing the half. Thanks.

vanderlyle wrote: »
    Hi Claude, is there anywhere to have a shower afterwards? I'm doing the half. Thanks.

Not at the moment as the GAA system isn't able to handle such large numbers. We are working on something but we have nothing at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭kmcattack

Hi Claude,

Out of interest, what are the numbers like for the 10k at the minute? I signed up a few months back and looking forward to it now :)

kmcattack wrote: »
    Hi Claude,

Out of interest, what are the numbers like for the 10k at the minute? I signed up a few months back and looking forward to it now :)

Just under 100 at the moment, but they'll be more signing up on the day !

Remember its a 09:45 start !!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭unirunner2

Hi

How many water stops on the half marathon route and just wondering will their be bananas at the stops for the half marathon route too

i assume water stop will be similar to november, but just curious about banana's too

thanks

unirunner2 wrote: »
    Hi

How many water stops on the half marathon route and just wondering will their be bananas at the stops for the half marathon route too

i assume water stop will be similar to november, but just curious about banana's too

thanks

There are 4 water stops on the course with one having coke as well. I listed them above.

I don't believe there will be bananas as they caused a major mess last year so they'll only be at the end line.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Zerostandards

Can I view a map of the water stations anywhere for the Full Marathon? Or can you give me the approx distances?

• Advertisement

Can I view a map of the water stations anywhere for the Full Marathon? Or can you give me the approx distances?

They are roughly at

15k ( water and coke )
    19.5k ( water and sweets )
    31k ( water and coke )
    35.5k ( water and sweets )

You can see the maps on the website and work them out if thats ok ?

Online entry is still open until tomorrow night and you can still enter on the morning of the event.

If you're running, let a mate know............bring them along.

Its all for charity and the more bodies we have the more money we make for them so spread the word its not too late.

Not a cent of the money that's raised goes to the people who put it together. In fact it costs us money in time off work and diesel doing stuff !!

Go on !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Gijima

What time is the directors marathon starting on Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Gijima wrote: »
    What time is the directors marathon starting on Friday?

I seen 9am mentioned of Facebook to the same question

I seen 9am mentioned of Facebook to the same question

Yep 9 bells !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Lads me and a club mate are travelling by train. Is there anywhere to leave our bags ?

ger664 wrote: »
    Lads me and a club mate are travelling by train. Is there anywhere to leave our bags ?

Yep we have a bag drop !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Last minute decision, I'll be there in the morning to register for the full. :)

Aimman wrote: »

Sweet its off t 9:30 and reg opens at 8. Free parking in the train station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Aimman wrote: »
    U on d merlot again..

• Advertisement

Best of luck everyone running this :)

Jaysus Claude, that bottle opener be put to good use this evening:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Great event.
    Well organised, nice course and decent weather.
    Congrats to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dunkelgrun

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Great event.
    Well organised, nice course and decent weather.
    Congrats to all involved.

I agree - hope to be back again!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Auntie Matter

Perfect running weather and a well organised event, once again. Very pleased to have knocked a minute of my 10K PB.

Only one small thing - was it absolutely necessary to publish our t-shirt sizes with the results?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Huge thanks to everyone who helped out today. Well organised and a nice course.
    F.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Fiftyplus

Well-run event, new staggered registration system a definite success, the only improvement needed on an otherwise fine event. Decent weather and a PB for the half made it all the better! I'll be back in November for more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

I was like a cripple at the end. Both of my knees were seizing up from about five km straight to the end. Absolute torture.
    This was my second ever marathon and though I was twenty minutes slower this time I am actually really satisfied with myself.
    I didn't stop running and I kept going when I was sure I was going to collapse - it's great to know that I can pull that kind of determination out if I need it.
    That's why I love this running thing. I will never be an elite athlete but I learned something good about myself today.
    The tee shirt is cool but a technical top would have been cooler...
    Having said that it was a well organised run.
    Thanks to all involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Funnily enough I've got enough technical T's so I was delighted with the tee.

Another great event. Stuck with the 1:30 pacer till 12k and I had to let him go. Ended up missing my pb by 12s but that was a reflection on my preparation more than the route.

I'll be aiming to be back in November to break 1:30 and will hopefully bring a couple more with me. Good talking to you too Claude - the Boards T-shirt proved a conversation starter with a good few people. Decent representation from around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭unirunner2

Nice t-shirt, i have so many technical t shirts its nice for a change
    The 90 minute pacer for the half was excellent. I messed up at every water stop and died at mile 10, i normally carry my own bottle but tried to rely on the water stops but between my bad handling and a few poor water stops i didnt get much water into me but managed still to get a pb. Struggled for the last 3 miles,but a few timesithought i could get back into it. But it just wasnt to be

Good event, the post race refreshments were a poor, also with a poor number in total, is it really feasible to have 3 races and especially a marathon with poornumbers.hope the numbers increase, great event and great cause

My wife was puzzled as to why it didnt finish in portarlington centre ,maybe a option for next year ..just a thought

Well done , i enjoyed it and will be back in november

Advertisement