Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon des Escargots (full/half/10k ) July 11th 2015 Portarlington

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Just realised the medal is also a bottle opener.

Fantastic!

By the way, any pics online?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

born2bwild wrote: »
    Just realised the medal is also a bottle opener.

Fantastic!

By the way, any pics online?

James Mac has loads on facebook. He always does a great job covering races. Search James McCormack photography I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Ran with a friend who was doing his first half marathon & we stayed with the 1.30 pacer (who did a great job) 'til somewhere around the 18k mark when I hinted we might push on a bit. A little bit of reluctance but he finished without any problems nicely under 1:29! Think DCM is on the cards for him now.

My first time there and very enjoyable, smooth number pick-up, friendly volunteers, nice route and a cool t-shirt & bottle opener what more could you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

unirunner2 wrote: »
    Good event, the post race refreshments were a poor, also with a poor number in total, is it really feasible to have 3 races and especially a marathon with poornumbers.hope the numbers increase, great event and great cause

To be fair it's for the three lads to decide if the money they're making for the charities justifies all the work they put in. Far be it from any of us who rock up on the day to question that. We got the race we paid for.

And you may have noticed that the post-race refreshments were handled by one woman, wife of one of the guys. No club race committee here. A very small group of people doing a very tough job very well for two great charities and not for themselves. I think they deserve massive credit & respect for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Perfect running weather and a well organised event, once again. Very pleased to have knocked a minute of my 10K PB.

Only one small thing - was it absolutely necessary to publish our t-shirt sizes with the results?

That was precision timing and not us, I didn't actually see the resulys that were put up but its something i will make sure doesn't happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭unirunner2

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    To be fair it's for the three lads to decide if the money they're making for the charities justifies all the work they put in. Far be it from any of us who rock up on the day to question that. We got the race we paid for.

And you may have noticed that the post-race refreshments were handled by one woman, wife of one of the guys. No club race committee here. A very small group of people doing a very tough job very well for two great charities and not for themselves. I think they deserve massive credit & respect for that.

they do deserve alot of credit,
    I did notice that, and she made me a lovely cup of coffee, i just had to point it out, i ran it last november too and the refreshments were great, soup and other stuff available, i got a friend up from down south and told him that the refreshments were going to be good. and they werent.
    the cost of the race was high enough to warent a better selection of refreshments after, i am not sure if the organisers asked St Michaels for help in terms of refreshments, but if they did i certainly would have brought something, as i did last november.

a great race nonetheless and will be back

they do deserve alot of credit,
    I did notice that, and she made me a lovely cup of coffee, i just had to point it out, i ran it last november too and the refreshments were great, soup and other stuff available, i got a friend up from down south and told him that the refreshments were going to be good. and they werent.
    the cost of the race was high enough to warent a better selection of refreshments after, i am not sure if the organisers asked St Michaels for help in terms of refreshments, but if they did i certainly would have brought something, as i did last november.

a great race nonetheless and will be back

Sorry that you felt that. I do remember doing DCM and getting a banana and nothing else;) They didn't even have the right t shirt size for me !

Anyway glad you found some positives from the event and we had people drop out of helping so they were taken from the kitchen and put on course as course safety trumps a sambo ( sorry ).

We had some member of St Michaels helping but i'll be honest and say its impossible to get people to help. I had one person send me a message at 03:53 on the morning of the event to drop out and one just not turn up so we have to think on our feet.

In November the refreshments were sponsored and supplied by O'Deas who couldn't help out on Sat as it was festival weekend. Also might i add people complained about them as well so we'll never 100% please everyone but we'll try our best with the resourses we have.

And re cost of the event, i'll be blunt and say NONE of your costs go to waste. EVERY euro after costs go to our charities, but we still try to give value and as i said some races have no refreshments at all. We don't skimp on the medal, t shirt, etc for profit like some races that are done to put money in race directors pockets.

Anyway thanks for coming and as i said for your positive remarks and general feedback, we can't improve without honest feedback !

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭unirunner2

Sorry that you felt that. I do remember doing DCM and getting a banana and nothing else;) They didn't even have the right t shirt size for me !

Anyway glad you found some positives from the event and we had people drop out of helping so they were taken from the kitchen and put on course as course safety trumps a sambo ( sorry ).

We had some member of St Michaels helping but i'll be honest and say its impossible to get people to help. I had one person send me a message at 03:53 on the morning of the event to drop out and one just not turn up so we have to think on our feet.

In November the refreshments were sponsored and supplied by O'Deas who couldn't help out on Sat as it was festival weekend. Also might i add people complained about them as well so we'll never 100% please everyone but we'll try our best with the resourses we have.

And re cost of the event, i'll be blunt and say NONE of your costs go to waste. EVERY euro after costs go to our charities, but we still try to give value and as i said some races have no refreshments at all. We don't skimp on the medal, t shirt, etc for profit like some races that are done to put money in race directors pockets.

Anyway thanks for coming and as i said for your positive remarks and general feedback, we can't improve without honest feedback !

it was a great race, and their is no harm in pointing out a few minor negatives, i did Dublin last year and your right, you get nothing after.Sorry about my crankiness, Looking forward to trying to beat 90 minutes again in november

Hi all,

Sorry i haven't posted since the event, i've had a crazy weekend with having to work after it, trying to see as much of the UFC as possible and having to make a family trip home to Longford yesterday.

Firstly thank you all for coming and helping to raise much needed funds for Irish Autism Action & Aiobheann's Pink Tie.

We're glad that you enjoyed the end and its nice to hear the t shirt divided you. We went for a "fashion" t shirt as we are all runners and have soooooooooooo many tech t shirts. We thought it would be nice for a change to have a t shirt you could wear with jeans or in everyday general wear.

We've had great feedback on the medal and once again just wanted to go for something different !

We'll be back on Nov 22 with a new rebranded event and i'll post here about it in a few weeks.

Once again thanks for coming down/up/sideways to run with us !

it was a great race, and their is no harm in pointing out a few minor negatives, i did Dublin last year and your right, you get nothing after.Sorry about my crankiness, Looking forward to trying to beat 90 minutes again in november

Hey no problem with that at all !

Oh and just to add that the race doesn't finish in town as the main st is taken over by the festival and we'd lose some control of our event if that happened. It just wouldn't be possible and its nice to have our own area with free parking attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Finally got around to doing a brief Race Report

ger664 wrote: »
    Finally got around to doing a brief Race Report

Ger thanks for your kind words and honest feedback !

I got me to the 30k mark that day in Dublin and thanks for it !

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭kiloecho15

I thoroughly enjoyed the event. The check-in was quick and painless (lessons learned since last November). As a novice runner I found the course a very good one (nice and flat with no hills)(half marathon). The marshals, water stations and pacers did a fantastic job. Nice medal and t-shirt. Money made for charity and a good day out. What more would you want. Everyone involved in the organisation take a bow.

kiloecho15 wrote: »
    I thoroughly enjoyed the event. The check-in was quick and painless (lessons learned since last November). As a novice runner I found the course a very good one (nice and flat with no hills)(half marathon). The marshals, water stations and pacers did a fantastic job. Nice medal and t-shirt. Money made for charity and a good day out. What more would you want. Everyone involved in the organisation take a bow.

Thanks for that, i hope you'll be back in Nov !!

We're working on the re brand and should have all the details to go live on Aug 1.

I'm a bit behind on my MarathonTalk podcasts so only listened to the one from July 15th at the weekend but anyway I noticed the two top finishers on their virtual podium were both from the Marathon des Escargots, sadly neither of them won the set of Jabra headphones.

The two lad enjoyed the name and came up with some slogans:

"They didn't run that at a snail's pace!"
    "Follow the trail!"

:)

Yeah it was a fast course, ideal for a PB and so is the half !

Any indication if this will be held again this Summer? Thanks!

opus wrote: »
    Any indication if this will be held again this Summer? Thanks!

Hi,

No we are only running our November event in 2016. Busy schedules and a small crew mean we have decided to focus on one event going forward.

Mark

Advertisement