Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with manufacturer

Options
  • 19-12-2014 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I have sourced a factory in Germany that is producing a product I am after. Unfortunately as I am only a startup, they do not seem to want my business.The last email I received from them stated that they "deliver to trade chains only".
    I am not really willing to give up on them that easy so would love some thoughts or help?
    If they think I am too small, can I make myself/company look bigger?
    Is there a specific way I should be dealing with them?
    Any help/advise is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Are you a limited company or a sole trader. Are you VAT registered. Do you have a website?

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

dbran wrote: »
    Are you a limited company or a sole trader. Are you VAT registered. Do you have a website?

dbran

Thanks for the reply. Probably should have given more information in my initial post but didn't want to go over the top.
    Simple answer to all of the above is no. The reason for this is I am trying to keep all costs to a minimum. I am at a stage with the business model that as soon as I have the product I can launch my MVP. Didn't want to go registering a company , registering for vat, business name, website ect.. Until I have secured the product.
    Hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

A few of our suppliers would be the same I think once you are registered then they should see you in a better light. Its cheap and easy to register the business and for vat may as well do it now if you are selling products the threshold for registration is very low.

Thanks.
    The thing is they never even asked about that.
    If I thought that's all they wanted, I would do it in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

As far as the Germans are concerned unless you are a limited company and VAT registered you are not a business and no amount of explaining will change that. And if they say they only deliver to trade organisations then you have to make yourself into one. Or at least give a perception of such.

dbran

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

If some randomer from Germany approached me, essentially a private individual, unregistered, no Vat No, no company, no website, no credit rating... I would run him too!! The Germans are very precise about business and expect the same of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭NotaSheep

Also, by trade chain, they might have meant 'wholesale' and if this is their business model than it is more than likely also minimum order quantity based. Most likely therefore, whatever they sell will be done so in quantities far above of what you would be able to handle either financially or operationally.

Thanks everyone. As usual you are all 100% right. That's why I come here in search of opinions. I have decided to set up and form my ltd company in the new year. I will also check with them if there is other resellers or wholesale companies I should be looking to contact.
    Thanks again.

Advertisement