Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No longer attracted to my girlfriend

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    No, that'd be 26 women in 100 women and 24 men in 100 men. 13 women in 50 women and 12 men in 50 men. 26% and 24% as said in the report. Jaysus. o_O

26 in 50 would be 48%. But it doesn't say that. It says 26%. 26% to 24%. You wouldn't notice that. BS.

Again, the WHO report is Europe-wide. You can't extrapolate for Ireland based on that.

Based on the stats if there were 200 people in a hall, 100 are men and 100 are women. 24 men and 26 women would be obese. Therefore there are 4% more obese women than obese men and I am saying I believe I would be able to guess there are are more obese women in the hall. This isn't magic or rocket science, it's basic math.

Are Ireland not in Europe anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Based on the stats if there were 200 people in a hall, 100 are men and 100 are women. 24 men and 26 women would be obese. Therefore there are 4% more obese women than obese men and I am saying I believe I would be able to guess there are are more obese women in the hall. This isn't magic or rocket science, it's basic math.

And I'm saying I don't believe you. It's two more people. Two.

24 people in 200 is 12%

26 people in 200 is 13%

Like, seriously. o_O

Have you worked out the percentage points illustrating the difference between overweight men and overweight women yet? ;) And applied it to the above hall?
    Are Ireland not in Europe anymore?

Well, now you being ridiculous. Those figures are taking in many countries. For evaluating Ireland or any individual country, they are next to useless. 20% to 23% in Europe does not equal 20% to 23% in Ireland. Again, you can't extrapolate based on that information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

24 people in 200 is 12%

26 people in 200 is 13%

Like, seriously. o_O

Have you worked out the percentage points illustrating the difference between overweight men and overweight women yet? ;) And applied it to the above hall?

Well, now you being ridiculous. Those figures are taking in many countries. For evaluating Ireland or any individual country, they are next to useless. 20% to 23% in Europe does not equal 20% to 23% in Ireland. Again, you can't extrapolate based on that information.

Ha, you're not going to stop badgering me are you? I had only planned on typing that one post but no, look what you've dragged me into.

I didn't want to admit this but I feel I have to, I could easily tell because I take a notebook with me everywhere I go and I note every obese person I see to find out which gender has a higher percentage. And no I can't do that with the overweight people because as I have stated previously I only note people with a BMI of 30 and above. Now good night.

Ha, you're not going to stop badgering me are you? I had only planned on typing that one post but no, look what you've dragged me into.

I didn't want to admit this but I feel I have to, I could easily tell because I take a notebook with me everywhere I go and I note every obese person I see to find out which gender has a higher percentage. And no I can't do that with the overweight people because as I have stated previously I only note people with a BMI of 30 and above. Now good night.

That was fun. :pac: Goodnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

If there are 50 obese people, 24 are men and 26 are women, 48% are men and 52% are women and voila, we have a 4% difference.

And this references the WHO study.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1218/667670-obese-disabled/

Pffft anyone can make up a statistic. Sure 80% of people know that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

You could have a bit of weight on you and be gorgeous or you could be pig ugly and be thin. I would love to see what people on this thread look like with all the comments being thrown around. Obviously being over weight is not ideal but what about people in wheelchairs and on crutches? How about someone whose health causes them to have difficulties. Nobody seems to have taken this into consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

eternal wrote: »
    I would love to see what people on this thread look like with all the comments being thrown around.

I'd show you but then It would just ruin the point you are trying to make there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I'd show you but then It would just ruin the point you are trying to make there.

Quit cutting off the finer point of my argument. People on this are bitching about weight like they are perfect to look at. Ok, so maybe it's not 'attractive' but who are they to judge people who might, under severe circumstances be suffering and can't help the weight gain. If you truly love someone you'd put up with it and help them lose it. I have been with really heavy guys who made me laugh and feel good about myself and just cos they were bigger it did not deter me. You have to look inside of yourself and others. People's weight fluctuate all the time. I have gone from an 8 to a 16 and back due to health issues but I never stopped looking well or looking after myself and I'm still the same person inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I've stayed out of this for a while but OP you are asking a terrible question. How can you love someone and not be attracted to them? To me that makes no sense. When you love someone you can see past their flaws (both physical, mental and emotional). All you should see is the person you love for who they are. An awesome person. The fact you say you don't find them attractive to me says you don't really love her.

Maybe you thought you loved the person she was (AKA the skinny girl you fancied) and because you have been with her for so long you think you love her. If you really loved her you wouldn't be unattracted to her. Simple as. You don't love her man, as much as you think you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

nails1 wrote: »
    My girlfriend has gained a lot of weight over the past year and I find myself less and less attracted to her. I no longer wish to have sex with her but still love her which I don't think she realises. Am I best to tell her about how I truly feel or does this sound selfish?

Cause you sound like the sensitive type who'd handle this delicately :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Shabra

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I've stayed out of this for a while but OP you are asking a terrible question. How can you love someone and not be attracted to them? To me that makes no sense. When you love someone you can see past their flaws (both physical, mental and emotional). All you should see is the person you love for who they are. An awesome person. The fact you say you don't find them attractive to me says you don't really love her.

Maybe you thought you loved the person she was (AKA the skinny girl you fancied) and because you have been with her for so long you think you love her. If you really loved her you wouldn't be unattracted to her. Simple as. You don't love her man, as much as you think you do.

I've broken up with women who I still loved because I wasn't attracted to them any more. Love and attraction are not mutually inclusive.

Love and attraction are different and one can exist without the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You could have a bit of weight on you and be gorgeous or you could be pig ugly and be thin. I would love to see what people on this thread look like with all the comments being thrown around. Obviously being over weight is not ideal but what about people in wheelchairs and on crutches? How about someone whose health causes them to have difficulties. Nobody seems to have taken this into consideration.

As someone whose overweight body is riddled with arthritis to the point where I have to get around on crutches most days and have lost my eyesight in one eye after developing uveitis, none of this means I still can't still be a picky bastard! :D

Whether I'm gorgeous or pig ugly is up to other people's tastes, and I can't control other people's thoughts, no more than I have any choice in who I find attractive or not. I don't have to look like a male model to be able to say whether I find a woman attractive or not, and I'm fairly sure they feel the same way about me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The average guy isn't examining a woman in that sort of detail, and certainly not in any sort of a way that he could determine her BF% just by looking at her.
    Maybe not consciously, but both men and women "scan" potential mates with quite a high level of detail and make decisions based on that. Take "love at first sight". No way in hell can anyone know someone else at first sight. Not unless you believe in magical thinking. That feeling is almost entirely visual matching a subconscious template in the viewer's head.
    Smidge wrote: »
    You could be setting yourself up for a fall with this kind of outlook.
    Sure, you can get a way with it now that you're young and buff. But as the years pass, you just watch how your body begins to betray you DESPITE every effort you make.
    Go for the long game :)
    That's all very well if you're middle aged and beyond, but short of illnesses and medical conditions, your average person shouldn't look that much different at 40 than they did at 20, certainly not in body size anyway.

That goes double for men. For all the men who don't like "fat chicks" they really have little excuse to let themselves go. No pregnancies etc to be concerned about. Their hormonal profile should be dropping very slowly(1% per year testosterone drop after 30-35) and they remain fully fertile up to 50 and beyond, they have more collagen in their skin and its thicker too, more muscle than fat etc. Baldness is about the only thing they have little control over.
    mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    How can you love someone and not be attracted to them?
    Pretty easily. There are different states of romantic love. You know the breakup line "I love you, but I'm not in love with you"? Translation "I still have deep feelings for you, but don't want to bang you anymore".
    When you love someone you can see past their flaws (both physical, mental and emotional).
    Great in theory and sometimes practice, certainly later in life, but contrary to romance novels love is conditional and those conditions can vary over time. Every day in the world around us, people break up and I'm sure many, if not the majority, thought at one point they were in love, maybe madly in love, maybe for years, but a condition, or conditions changed and they walked away.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Shabra wrote: »
    Love and attraction are different and one can exist without the other.

Indeed and I think you need both for a relationship to really work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I think people on crutches are hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

You obviously haven't read the thread then. All of those have been taken into consideration. Nobody expects a disabled person to be able to maintain their weight as easily as an able-bodied person.

This thread is about normal people who let themselves go and then make up excuses for it, often to the dismay of the person they married.

Smidge wrote: »
    With all due respect Dean, you must either be very young or else very naive to think in these terms.
    A girlfriend,maybe?
    But your wife?
    You are viewing relationships in shallow terms and purely on aesthetics.

I would hazard a guess that you have never really and truly been in love. Oh it may start out as an attraction but thats only one layer to it. As you get older, you still get weak knees from looking at her, although her skin may not be as taught as it once was but she still has the devilish glint in her eye and you know exactly what it means.
    She may have bingo wings after years of marriage having given you children and there are now grandchildren but if you had love to begin with that wouldn't even be an issue as the years pass. She could still drive you crazy with a simple touch.
    You could be setting yourself up for a fall with this kind of outlook.
    Sure, you can get a way with it now that you're young and buff. But as the years pass, you just watch how your body begins to betray you DESPITE every effort you make.
    Go for the long game :)

I've been in a five year relationship and have been in love. I'm not shallow and don't only value women for their looks. I'm not speaking out of my arse here; I'd find it difficult to remain in a long term relationship while watching the weight slowly pile on. It'd be disingenuous of me to pretend I was still attracted to my partner despite not being so. I find excess fat (30%+ on females) to be repulsive. I'm not asking for my wife at 40 years of age to be at athletic levels, just not a fat frumpy body type.

Save for becoming disabled, my body won't fail me. I have healthy habits like jogging and eating right. And I know many men 40 years of age and older who still keep fit by jogging, cycling or swimming a few times a week. Many of them would put 20 year olds to shame. It's not difficult - it just requires a few hours a week and a watchful eye on your food intake.

Wibbs wrote: »

That's all very well if you're middle aged and beyond, but short of illnesses and medical conditions, your average person shouldn't look that much different at 40 than they did at 20, certainly not in body size anyway.

This is precisely my point. Everyone seems to think that middle age is this massive shift that justifies gaining five stone and checking out of any upkeep appearance wise. The problem in Ireland is that the average person does look significantly different at 40 to when they were 20.

I was up in my parents house's attic a few months and found an old passport of my dad from the 70s along with photo albums. Aside from the dodgy mop of hair and faux-leather jackets, he looked almost exactly the same at 57! Sure he looked older now, but his facial features, body size and general appearance were the same. You could tell it was him.

I put this down to cycling to work every day and walking in the evenings/weekends with my mother. And of course eating home cooked, simple dinners.

I've often looked back at pictures of friends from just four or five years ago and barely recognized them due to weight gain. Excess fat completely mutes facial features and bloats out any attractive body structures.

The only excuse anyone has, male or female, is medical issues from depression to pregnancy. In the medium-term, everyone should be focusing on getting their weight back in check regardless, save for the most serious of cases such as being paralyzed.
    Pretty easily. There are different states of romantic love. You know the breakup line "I love you, but I'm not in love with you"? Translation "I still have deep feelings for you, but don't want to bang you anymore".

This sums up my feelings on the issue. A lot of posters here seem to think that a romantic relationship and a marriage can exist, happily, with zero sexual attraction. To me, that's a good friendship where you sleep in the same bed for some reason.

In the medium term, if one partner gains weight then I don't think it's wrong to request that they shift it for the sake of the relationship, because fat would only bother me in a relationship, not a friendship. If they refuse or don't make a true effort I'd consider my options and most likely split (assuming no kids). It's unfair to lock one half of a relationship into a life of zero sexual gratification and expect "love" to be enough.

A final aspect is that in my shallow, looks-obsessed view of the world, I think being attractive gives you more leeway in a relationship. How many men would put up with a snoring fat wife who they're no longer attracted to? How many men would put up with a snoring, fit sexy wife? :D;)

Dean0088 wrote: »
    This is precisely my point. Everyone seems to think that middle age is this massive shift that justifies gaining five stone and checking out of any upkeep appearance wise. The problem in Ireland is that the average person does look significantly different at 40 to when they were 20.

I was up in my parents house's attic a few months and found an old passport of my dad from the 70s along with photo albums. Aside from the dodgy mop of hair and faux-leather jackets, he looked almost exactly the same at 57! Sure he looked older now, but his facial features, body size and general appearance were the same. You could tell it was him.

I put this down to cycling to work every day and walking in the evenings/weekends with my mother. And of course eating home cooked, simple dinners.

I've often looked back at pictures of friends from just four or five years ago and barely recognized them due to weight gain. Excess fat completely mutes facial features and bloats out any attractive body structures.

The only excuse anyone has, male or female, is medical issues from depression to pregnancy. In the medium-term, everyone should be focusing on getting their weight back in check regardless, save for the most serious of cases such as being paralyzed.

This sums up my feelings on the issue. A lot of posters here seem to think that a romantic relationship and a marriage can exist, happily, with zero sexual attraction. To me, that's a good friendship where you sleep in the same bed for some reason.

In the medium term, if one partner gains weight then I don't think it's wrong to request that they shift it for the sake of the relationship, because fat would only bother me in a relationship, not a friendship. If they refuse or don't make a true effort I'd consider my options and most likely split (assuming no kids). It's unfair to lock one half of a relationship into a life of zero sexual gratification and expect "love" to be enough.

A final aspect is that in my shallow, looks-obsessed view of the world, I think being attractive gives you more leeway in a relationship. How many men would put up with a snoring fat wife who they're no longer attracted to? How many men would put up with a snoring, fit sexy wife? :D;)

All this is grand, as long as you are prepared for a potential partner to break it off with you if your appearance significantly changes, as it might well do. (nobody knows what the future holds.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

nails1 wrote: »
    My girlfriend has gained a lot of weight over the past year and I find myself less and less attracted to her. I no longer wish to have sex with her but still love her which I don't think she realises. Am I best to tell her about how I truly feel or does this sound selfish?

If you love her, then you'll realise that looks aren't important.
    If you can't see past her looks, then you probably don't love her as much as you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

24 people in 200 is 12%

26 people in 200 is 13%

Like, seriously. o_O

I have heard different figures depending on what is used to identify obese or overweight. I know some reports are skewed as muscle on men can put them in a different bracket.

If you can't see past her looks, then you probably don't love her as much as you think.

You could argue that if they loved you they would make the effort to stay attractive to you too though.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    You could argue that if they loved you they would make the effort to stay attractive to you too though.

Can't see that going down too well. Reducing someone's worth to skin and bone. tut tut. You can't fall in love with a six pack.

Can't see that going down too well. Reducing someone's worth to skin and bone. tut tut. You can't fall in love with a six pack.

If they just stopped making any effort it shows a lack of concern for their partner. Its not the same as a medical condition or something they cant control.

All this is grand, as long as you are prepared for a potential partner to break it off with you if your appearance significantly changes, as it might well do. (nobody knows what the future holds.)

You seem hell bent on applying my standards to myself. Of course I'm aware that if I became lazy and fat, my partner would no longer be attracted to me. If she broke up with me because of it then I'd only have myself to blame. This is what's called "personal responsibility". I like to think I have some, as opposed to blaming every other possible reason under the sun except the most glaringly obvious one - that I got fat and lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Reducing someone's worth to skin and bone. tut tut. You can't fall in love with a six pack.
    And you can't f*ck a personality.
    Looks are important, whether you love someone or not.
    Anyone saying otherwise is delusional or lying.

The trouble is that it's not skin and bone, it's also a whole lot of fat. Fat (in excess) is unattractive to a lot of people. It's unrealistic to expect a person to be sexually attracted to someone who has changed significantly since they met.

A lot of you camp seem to love pushing others to extreme positions in this debate. You vilify people who want a reasonably slim partner as being obsessed with looks or shallow. :rolleyes:

If they just stopped making any effort it shows a lack of concern for their partner. Its not the same as a medical condition or something they cant control.

Is that a definite? People stop making an effort for a variety of reasons, and let me tell you from experience, it's not down to a lack of concern for their parner.

The trouble is that it's not skin and bone, it's also a whole lot of fat. Fat (in excess) is unattractive to a lot of people. It's unrealistic to expect a person to be sexually attracted to someone who has changed significantly since they met.

A lot of you camp seem to love pushing others to extreme positions in this debate. You vilify people who want a reasonably slim partner as being obsessed with looks or shallow. :rolleyes:

No intention of vilifying anyone. I'm just giving an opinion :) As are you.

I have heard different figures depending on what is used to identify obese or overweight. I know some reports are skewed as muscle on men can put them in a different bracket.

These reports are also nationwide statistics and ignores that fact that most people date and marry within their (and I hate this term) social class.

How many people from Fatima wind up living in a D4 townhouse? Very, very few.

I live in a working class area in Dublin and obesity is definitely higher than those statistics. This isn't surprising as it's well known that less well-off people are more likely to eat processed foods and live sedated lifestyles. And from what I can see, this is the prime suspect in the big obesity debate; not medical conditions (although many come later as a result of obesity/lazy lifestyle).

• Advertisement

No intention of vilifying anyone. I'm just giving an opinion :) As are you.

No, you echoed someones opinion but magnified wanting a non-obese partner to "reducing someone to skin and bone". It's a common tactic to use in debates - when you push one side into the realms of extremism by repeating but amplifying their point beyond any reasonable measure, you vilify them.

Why not just empathise with someone who doesn't find fat attractive but ends up in a relationship that's quit lopsided.

Is that a definite? People stop making an effort for a variety of reasons, and let me tell you from experience, it's not down to a lack of concern for their parner.

If they have a defensible reason sure but just letting yourself go and expecting your partner to deal with it is selfish.

No, you echoed someones opinion but magnified wanting a non-obese partner to "reducing someone to skin and bone". It's a common tactic to use in debates - when you push one side into the realms of extremism by repeating but amplifying their point beyond any reasonable measure, you vilify them.

Why not just empathise with someone who doesn't find fat attractive but ends up in a relationship that's quit lopsided.

I can empathise with that person, because I was that person. I then realised that looks mean nothing, in a deeper sense. Didn't intend to use any debating tactics, sorry if you took offence.

I can empathise with that person, because I was that person. I then realised that looks mean nothing, in a deeper sense. Didn't intend to use any debating tactics, sorry if you took offence.

Looks mean a lot IMO - particularly when it comes to obesity, of which only one facet is "looks". I'm not talking about "modeling" looks - I mean general appearance, presentation, health, physical ability and sex life.

In my opinion, when somone tops over 40% bodyfat (25-30% for males) they've let themselves go. You can glean a lot about a person from that, save for medical issues.

In terms of health it should be a concern for a partner particularly if married and intending to spend the rest of your lives together.

Physical ability - I hate spending weekends indoors. Particularly if there's good weather. Nothing beats driving down the Glendalough and heading out past Miners Village, up over the mountains on a hike. Or even going to the beach and having the self confidence and physical ability to (safely) bring your kids into the sea for a swim. Or play football with them for more than five minutes or whatever. If I had a fat wife who couldn't be physically active and preferred to just stay within the realms of her low capabilities, I'd go insane. I've a fat cousin with a kid - he stands around a kicks a football back and forth for a few minutes. That's about the height of it in terms of playing with his kids. If an when I have kids I want to be taking them out on bike rides, swimming pool etc... not bringing them to the cinema every weekend.

Sex lives - Sex is simply better when you can actually support your own weight and preferably that of your partners (if you're the man). If your wife is topping 200lbs then even the strongest of men will be knackered after two minutes. The only option is to resort to the "fcuking a limp sack of week old spuds" maneuver.

It's possible, but I'd imagine it's a minority of men that'd be that muscly that it'd put them at a weight that would be obese on other people.

It's possible, but I'd imagine it's a minority of men that'd be that muscly that it'd put them at a weight that would be obese on other people.

BMI is fairly accurate for 99% of the population. If you're in the obese scale, then you're definitely not healthy.

BF% is much fairer to use on an individual level - but the differences when measuring a sample indicative of the population (like 10,000) are negligible. The statistics are sound - Ireland is in the top 3 fattest nations in the EU.

The statistics are sound - Ireland is in the top 3 fattest nations in the EU.

No doubt. But there was a claim earlier that obesity was much more common in women. I don't if there are any current figures for Ireland but based on a study which seems to be from around 2008, it's about even and way more men than women are overweight.

No doubt. But there was a claim earlier that obesity was much more common in women. I don't if there are any current figures for Ireland but based on a study which seems to be from around 2008, it's about even and way more men than women are overweight.

I wouldn't contest it either way tbh. More women might be obese. More men might be overweight. Or the other way around. Or it could be totally skewed into one gender. Does it really matter which 'side' is to blame?

I don't see this as being a gender issue and framing it as one (not saying you are) just opens up an unnecessary can of worms. The fact is that since 1990, Ireland has followed the US trend of 1970 - 1990 in terms of weight gain. We're now following their 1990-2010 weight gain pattern.

Within 15 years Ireland will be at 66% - I have no doubt. And that's not being alarmist. It's a fair and researched comparison against similar western nations like the UK, vouched for by the HSE and EU.

We laugh now, but it won't be long before 33% obesity/overweight is our GOAL as opposed to the problem. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Not going back to requote and repost as tbh I haven't all that much interest in this thread but.......

@Wibbs....Most people look the same(or practically as you near enough put it)at 40 as they do at 20???
    Give over mate, thats an utterly ridiculous thing to say.
    I'm not in bad nick for my age (almost 40 but was told I looked about 28 when I was out the other night :cool:) but there isnt a chance in hell that I look the same as I did at 20(sadly :P)
    If humans did, well there would be no need for the Billion dollar cosmetic surgery industry ;)

@ Dean, fair play do what suits you. No skin off my nose :)

People are entitled to break up for whatever reason they like, that's life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Jaysus....

Being physicaly attractive and loving someone are different things, but to have a healthy relationship you need both.

Jaysus....

Being physicaly attractive and loving someone are different things, but to have a healthy relationship you need both.

I never said the two were incompatible. But at the end of the day, beauty is literally in the eye of the beholder. I ask myself, why do I have a hang-up about her beer-belly?
    I could mask it to protect my ego and say it's do with her health, but I'd only be lying to myself.

People are entitled to break up for whatever reason they like, that's life.

No shít. Revolutionary stuff here.

Wibbs wrote: »

Yep B, very much so and it also depends on how an individual responds to hormones. It's not just about the bald stats. For example, I have some congenital fcukup which means my body produces more testosterone than average. Quite a bit more. At 25 my reading(can't recall the scale :s) was well over a 1000 somethings(1300 IIRC), where the average is 400-800 somethings. The last time I got readings I was 42 and it was 800 plus somethings. I should be a colossus of muscle and vigour, a veritable Rambo*, but since we've met Bluey, try not peeing yourself laughing and firing snotters at your keyboard. You bastid. :D What's worse is when my family doc when I first found this out damn near wet himself laughing when telling me the results. Damned fine doc, but also a slagging cnut. :D

:D

This thread was winding me up but then I went off lifting and jogging for a couple hours, so, merry xmas all :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I never said the two were incompatible. But at the end of the day, beauty is literally in the eye of the beholder. I ask myself, why do I have a hang-up about her beer-belly?
    I could mask it to protect my ego and say it's do with her health, but I'd only be lying to myself.

You said in first post that looks are not important, which is bull****. It's just how much of a compromises you can love with. No one is perfect.
    If a partner has a beer belly that you can deal with, fair enough. If your partner becomes a whale, Then there is no way it will not effect your relationship unless you like big mammals and have big enough bathtub.
    Just saying that "oh, you don't love her enough" is just plain wrong. It will effect relationship in one or another way.

No shít. Revolutionary stuff here.

In your post you said that you need to accept that your partner might break up with you if your appearance changes or something similar. Therefore by the sounds of it you need to be told the obvious.

In your post you said that you need to accept that your partner might break up with you if your appearance changes or something similar. Therefore by the sounds of it you need to be told the obvious.

So, exactly what you then pointed out.

"You need to accept your partner might break up with you if your appearance changes" ties in with people breaking up with each other for all kinds of reasons.

So why you felt the need to state the bleeding obvious when what I said was hardly contrary to that is bemusing. :confused:

You said in first post that looks are not important, which is bull****. It's just how much of a compromises you can love with. No one is perfect.

As I said, each to their own. If that's your opinion on looks, then that's your business, who am I to judge.
    If a partner has a beer belly that you can deal with, fair enough. If your partner becomes a whale, Then there is no way it will not effect your relationship unless you like big mammals and have big enough bathtub.

You are not me, so how can you possibly make such assumptions about what I would think in that situation?

Just saying that "oh, you don't love her enough" is just plain wrong. It will effect relationship in one or another way.

Exactly. One way or another. Not your way exclusively. I'm glad you're starting to realise that these things aren't black and white.

So, exactly what you then pointed out.

"You need to accept your partner might break up with you if your appearance changes" ties in with people breaking up with each other for all kinds of reasons.

So why you felt the need to state the bleeding obvious when what I said was hardly contrary to that is bemusing. :confused:

Why did you state the obvious? I expanded your point to a more general level, your point was obvious which I found bemusing.

• Advertisement

Why did you state the obvious? I expanded your point to a more general level, your point was obvious which I found bemusing.

I was merely pointing out to the poster that it works both ways, which he agreed with. A lot of people would have double standards about this kind of thing.

Advertisement