Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Footpath or pavement, which is it?

• 19-12-2014 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭

I've been reading news stories lately from Irish based news sites and it seems the Americanised word pavement is creeping in to our honourable home grown news outlets. When I was growing up, that lump of concrete we walk on was always the footpath, nothing to do with paves.

So AH, what do you think on this earth shattering revelation that will ruin our lives that your most honoured footpath is now called a pavement, do you agree?! :)

What do you call that lump of concrete you walk on? 93 votes

It's called a footpath, I always signed my initials in it's wet cement!
    0% 0 votes
    It's a pavement, get with the Americanised(oops that S should be a Z) culture!!
    96% 90 votes
    Atari Hardly that concrete
    3% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

It's sidewalk!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Footment ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

path....just path.

but I don't really care what anyone calls it, so long as I know what they're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

It's more often used as a cycle lane :(

I say footpath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Pavement isn't American.

Or are we on about the band?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The Path.

Or the footpath next to the pot holes

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Matta Harri

Toe path

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Poll added, bloody hell a damn conspiracy trying to prevent me highlighting this crisis issue :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I got such **** for saying sidewalk as a kid.

I refuse to change it. Sidewalk, faucet, elevator, truck, aluminium, pants, sneakers, jerks, highway.

**** you Kildare in the 80s...

*come to think of it! I got so much **** for saying kid as a kid. Times have changed.

All the while using press, delph, immersion, lorry, and eejit like they were actually words...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

The ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Pavement isn't American.

Proof?

I quote Wikipedia our bastion of neutrality :) even though its written mostly by Americans http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_surface

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Footpad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I refuse to change it. Sidewalk, faucet, elevator, truck, aluminium, pants, sneakers, jerks, highway.

*come to think of it! I got so much **** for saying kid as a kid. Times have changed.
    All the while using press, delph, immersion, lorry, and eejit like they were actually words...

You seem to have a chip french fry on your shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

A pavement is paved, a path is just a track worn by use. Footpath or pavement are and were interchangeable here.

Sidewalk - now that's American.

(Just ask aul' ones, we know these things. We pre-existed americanisms, kid!)

Grafted to my scapula.

And be careful. The American for "chip on your shoulder" is actually "kill everyone with an automatic weapon".

moxin wrote: »
    I've been reading news stories lately from Irish based news sites and it seems the Americanised word pavement is creeping in to our honourable home grown news outlets. When I was growing up, that lump of concrete we walk on was always the footpath, nothing to do with paves.

So AH, what do you think on this earth shattering revelation that will ruin our lives that your most honoured footpath is now called a pavement, do you agree?! :)

Ive never really thought about it - but now that I do - I realise I use both terms. Contextually. If I am talking about some scenario where people are moving about - I use footpath. So "The man ran along the footpath".

But if I am referencing the ground itself in some way - I switch to pavement. "The money was on the pavement".

So I guess I am Bi to Bi-curious on this one :)

I can not really think of a single context I would use "sidewalk" in - short of a (insert correct collective noun here while quoting me) of mimes walking hermit crab like along it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Pavement isn't American.

Or are we on about the band?
    Agreed 100%. I'm born and brought up in Manchester, and it was always pavement.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I usually just call it a path, I'd rarely say footpath but sometimes I do refer to roads as wheelpaths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Sidewalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Dont call me Shirley

You mean the walkey road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

I call it path myself. I've heard an Irish guy say sidewalk before which made me look at him very peculliarly!

All this talk of pronouciations made me think of that scene in The Simpsons about Homer saying "Garage" the way Americans say garage.

Homer: "Hmm. I wonder why he's so eager to go to the garage?"

Moe: "The "garage"? Hey fellas, the "garage"! Well, ooh la di da, Mr. French Man."

Homer: "Well what do you call it?"

Moe: "A car hole!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

And be careful. The American for "chip on your shoulder" is actually "kill everyone with an automatic weapon".

Cheers for the heads up. Will make sure I'm around good guys with guns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

I was just telling my little one today that when he goes out with his Nan he's to stay on the inside of the pavement.I actually thought to myself where and when did I start calling the path a pavement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Why? Are you American or just weird?

Footpad

OK my English is not perfect but is it not a footpad the person which uses the footpath?

And for question, it is sidewalk :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Well technically you're all wrong, at least as far as the UK is concerned.

Under Interpretation Section 329 of the 1980 Highways Act, if it goes alongside a road that vehicles can go along, it's a "footway"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Pavement is British. Most people I know in Ireland say footpath, if sidewalk ever creeps in over here I'll think I'll give up life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

The gripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Walking area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

I thought pavement was one of those words older people used. Like calling the radio the wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I tripped up and hit my head off the pavement.

I walked from the cycle-lane onto the footpath.

My wireless is disconnected.

My radio is playing nice relaxing music.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The path. The footpath if someone is really not getting it.

Americanisms really piss me off. We have deadly colloquialisms, why do people go with Americanisms? Cops is another one that really annoys me. You're Irish, you have been born, reared, live and work in Ireland. Where the cup did you get cop from?! There's shyte loads of that. Mate is another one (although that's an English one, equally annoying). :mad: :mad:

I actually can't think about it anymore it's too annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

After reading all that I'm not sure what I call it anymore :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

The hard shoulder if one has had too many cherry's.

It's a sidewalk

It's a footpath here in Ireland, end of story. Can we now cook the christmas dinner ? pretty please with brussel sprouts on top I'm starving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It's sidewalk!!!

In Ireland, we walk on a footpath. Sidewalking is left to those of us who've had one too many.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It's a footpath if you're a pedestrian, the pavement if you're a cyclist, and the sidewalk if you're driving something with four wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The ditch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's a pavement until someone walks on it. Then it's a footpath.

Turtwig wrote: »
    It's a pavement until someone walks on it. Then it's a footpath.

Umm... That's like saying the moon isn't there if I'm not looking at it ? Quantum mechanically thinking.

Umm... That's like saying the moon isn't there if I'm not looking at it ? Quantum mechanically thinking.

Deepak!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

No it's like saying the moon is a clump of rock. Then in the presence of the Earth it becomes a cheese.

Ahh, everything is blending together and starting to make sense now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Actually, it's a footway ...

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1993/en/act/pub/0014/sec0002.html#sec2
    Roads Act, 1993
    Interpretation.

2.—(1) In this Act, except where the context otherwise requires—

“footpath” means a road over which there is a public right of way for pedestrians only, not being a footway;

“footway” means that portion of any road associated with a roadway which is provided primarily for use by pedestrians;

In an Irish engineering context 'pavement' refers to a hard surface of a road, e.g. concrete, asphalt or tarmac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Ahh, everything is blending together and starting to make sense now.

Note section 7 in Part 1 of the Act that Victor quotes, which clarifies the situation beyond all doubt:
    The Minister may make regulations prescribing any matter or thing which is referred to in this Act as prescribed or to be prescribed or in relation to any matters referred to in this Act as the subject of regulations or for the purpose of giving full effect to this Act.

• Advertisement
Advertisement