Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winemaking from scratch.

Options
  • 20-12-2014 12:09am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭

Having seen my husband brew great beers, I've lately taken up home wine brewing. I used to do it years ago as a student, but most of the stuff was pretty vile. I got a kit from a UK store over the summer, and my first winemaking this time round was from the kit. I wasn't too happy with the result; the wine fermented out very quickly, and had no body and a yeasty smell.

The next thing I tried was rhubarb wine, which turned out great - I'm drinking some as we speak, and my next try was damson wine. I won't know how it turned out until at least next year, as it has to mature for a year. And now I have a batch of blackberry/elderberry on the go.

I'd appreciate advice on what other ingredients I can use at different times of the year. I have raspberries and apples in the freezer, and about a pound of elderberries. And of course any tips, questions or comments from fellow home wine makers...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Good for you Katy. Its something I'm thinking of getting into though everywhere is so chilly at the moment.

How did you make the Rhubarb?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭marketty

Would you have a go at mead?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Good for you Katy. Its something I'm thinking of getting into though everywhere is so chilly at the moment.

How did you make the Rhubarb?

I steeped rhubarb chunks with sugar in a fermenting bin for three or four days, bashed the bejasus out of them with a rolling pin, and transferred the resulting juice into a demijohn. I had to add yeast nutrient at that stage, as there wouldn't be enough in the rhubarb for the yeast to act on.

The first batch stopped fermenting fairly quickly and the result was a beautiful clear liquid but very sweet. I put it back in the demijohn, added more yeast and sugar, and started it all over again. I ended up with a nice dry wine that my husband says reminds him of a muscadet.

The second batch was done with frozen rhubarb, not fresh, and it broke down better, and so I got more juice. The resulting wine was a more pink colour, and a bit more distinctly rhubarby background taste. Slightly preferable, but I was damned if I was going to lose the first batch, or leave it sweet!

marketty wrote: »
    Would you have a go at mead?

I have thought about it alright. Maybe a project for the new year.

katydid wrote: »
    I have thought about it alright. Maybe a project for the new year.

I've my first two attempts fermenting away at the minute, a straight mead and a forest fruit melomel. unfortunately didn't start them ages ago in order to have them for xmas, but should be nice sweet coolers for the summer! You can do a huge amount of tinkering/experimenting with mead/melomel/metheglin (mead with spices), using different yeasts etc for making it like ale or wine, still/sparkling etc. You can use apple juice with honey to make a cyser.
    Cider is worth a go as well. I've a lidl cloudy apple 'turbo' cider on the go too, again you can spice it, add fruit, play with sweetness, ABV etc. Experimenting is the fun part of home brewing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

I've my first two attempts fermenting away at the minute, a straight mead and a forest fruit melomel. unfortunately didn't start them ages ago in order to have them for xmas, but should be nice sweet coolers for the summer! You can do a huge amount of tinkering/experimenting with mead/melomel/metheglin (mead with spices), using different yeasts etc for making it like ale or wine, still/sparkling etc. You can use apple juice with honey to make a cyser.
    Cider is worth a go as well. I've a lidl cloudy apple 'turbo' cider on the go too, again you can spice it, add fruit, play with sweetness, ABV etc. Experimenting is the fun part of home brewing!

I'll definitely try mead. Sounds good.
    Would you need a lot of apples to make cider or do you just use apple juice?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

I'll definitely try mead. Sounds good.
    Would you need a lot of apples to make cider or do you just use apple juice?

I'm only making my first batch so can't confirm yet but I've heard good things online about lidl/aldi cloudy apple juice. Its pretty cheap too. Now if u had access to a lot of apples for free/cheap and a way of pressing them I'm sure it'd be great!

I'm only making my first batch so can't confirm yet but I've heard good things online about lidl/aldi cloudy apple juice. Its pretty cheap too. Now if u had access to a lot of apples for free/cheap and a way of pressing them I'm sure it'd be great!

Apples, yes. Apple press, no. Those boys are expensive.

• Advertisement

Apples, yes. Apple press, no. Those boys are expensive.

I know they seem to be mad money

I know they seem to be mad money

Friends of mine who live in a small village in Wales have got together with their neighbours and bought one they all share. Good plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lars

Friends of mine who live in a small village in Wales have got together with their neighbours and bought one they all share. Good plan.
    You can make an apple press with some muslin cloths, untreated timber and a car jack. Check online for plans

Advertisement