Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sitting in the cave

Options
  • 20-12-2014 1:14am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Plato espoused an analogy of people sitting in a cave with their backs to fire in front of which various objects were passed. They were then asked to define the objects based on their shadows. Herein we shall ask the question of what would happen if you had people of different scientific disciplines in a similar situation with words being cast up on a screen before them. What definition would a computer scientist give for "virus", and how would it compare to the definition provided by a biologist? Hopefully we can realize that everyone is perceiving the same things albeit from different angles and help each other find new ways to approach problems and find solutions. Post your questions now. First up is "tree". I define that as a non-motile life form that provides shade on a sunny day. How do you define it?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

First up is "tree". I define that as a non-motile life form that provides shade on a sunny day. How do you define it?
    Tree is the individual unit of analysis, while the forest is the population.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Got a query for me Swannie?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Got a query for me Swannie?
    The scientific method does not prove, it only suggests. Can you think of one or more disciplines where something is proven?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Black Swan wrote: »
    The scientific method does not prove, it only suggests. Can you think of one or more disciplines where something is proven?

Mathematics is the only discipline I can think of where something can be conclusively proven

• Advertisement

Mathematics is the only discipline I can think of where something can be conclusively proven
    Legal proof, and burden of proof in philosophy are two more.

Advertisement