Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuji X - Series Owners. Help needed.

• 20-12-2014 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

I just bought a fuji xe-1 body only and got the xc50-230mm lens free with it. I need to get an everyday lens for the camera and I am not sure if I should get the 18mm F2.0, the 27mm F2.8 or the 35mm F1.4. I already own a nikon d7000 and have every focal length covered (almost) from 10mm to 300mm. I am leaning towards the 18mm but would like the f1.4 abilities of the 35mm. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

The 27mm f2.8 is tiny and will mean the camera and lens will fit into your (big) coat pocket. The others will require a bag.

The 27mm is made of plastic so its light. Its a surprising good lens. I was out on a boat cruise yesterday via work and looking at the pics today I'm really happy with the (snapshot) results. Being so small you loose the ability to manually adjust aperture on the barrel.

The 35mm 1.4 is good/great lens. The AF isn't the best but it has that *something*. I had one on loan for a couple weeks but didn't buy it cos it wasn't different enough from the 23mm and 27mm lens I already have. I've also seen on fujis roadmap that there will be a mark 2 coming in the next year or so. Supposedly weather sealed (only good if your camera is also - which the xe-1 aint)

However, the 23mm 1.4 is a fantastic lens. It more expensive than the 35mm but oh so worth it. The build quality is easily as good or if not better than a lot of canon 'L' Something I love - The 23mm lens its normally in AF. But if you pull back a 'clutch' at the front its jumps to MF. Twist the barrel and on my XT-1 you can set the EVF to magnify to 100% with focus peaking. Genius.

Ive never used the 18mm. Ive the 10-24mm to cover that range.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

The 27mm f2.8 is tiny and will mean the camera and lens will fit into your (big) coat pocket. The others will require a bag.

The 27mm is made of plastic so its light. Its a surprising good lens. I was out on a boat cruise yesterday via work and looking at the pics today I'm really happy with the (snapshot) results. Being so small you loose the ability to manually adjust aperture on the barrel.

The 35mm 1.4 is good/great lens. The AF isn't the best but it has that *something*. I had one on loan for a couple weeks but didn't buy it cos it wasn't different enough from the 23mm and 27mm lens I already have. I've also seen on fujis roadmap that there will be a mark 2 coming in the next year or so. Supposedly weather sealed (only good if your camera is also - which the xe-1 aint)

However, the 23mm 1.4 is a fantastic lens. It more expensive than the 35mm but oh so worth it. The build quality is easily as good or if not better than a lot of canon 'L' Something I love - The 23mm lens its normally in AF. But if you pull back a 'clutch' at the front its jumps to MF. Twist the barrel and on my XT-1 you can set the EVF to magnify to 100% with focus peaking. Genius.

Ive never used the 18mm. Ive the 10-24mm to cover that range.

I love that 23mm but it is simply too expensive, I'm just worried that the 35mm will restrict me with its longer focal lenght, with the 18mm I can zoom with my feet and any distortion is very easily correctable.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Got the 18mm, delighted with it

15935786499_07a40c6c46_c.jpgChristmas 2014 by Aindriu MacEoghain, on Flickr

15525055894_9d28c845c0_c.jpgMillview by Aindriu MacEoghain, on Flickr

16121580496_f5be21e928_c.jpgPippin by Aindriu MacEoghain, on Flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Good stuff.
    I also just seen the following review. That 18mm gets high praise
    http://dedpxl.com/fuji-x-buyers-guide-part-2-lenses/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

ps3man wrote: »
    Got the 18mm, delighted with it

I have an XE1 and 35mm was thinking of getting the 18mm. I was a bit hesitant but after reading that review i think I will make the jump.

The 35mm lens is nice and sharp but it's slow to focus

• Advertisement
Advertisement