Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi refusing a fare

• 20-12-2014 5:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

I got into a cab with my girlfriend and 2 of her friends tonight. Everyone relatively sober and told the driver raheen, raheen then adare to which he replied no. It's outside his boundaries.

Pardon me if my sympathy is particularly low for a profession that has protested more than once in recent times regarding licensed/unlicensed drivers stealing their livelihood. How can someone refuse a fare and when the point was put forward that if it was a quiet night would he take the fare to which he replied he would but it wasn't a quiet night so it's not relevant.

My issue is where do I go from here. I have the drivers name, unfortunately not the license number but I want to make a formal complaint. I don't understand how any taxi driver thinks this is an acceptable way to do business but this one guy feels it was.

Has anyone any similar experiences or advice I can take?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Iang87 wrote: »
    I got into a cab with my girlfriend and 2 of her friends tonight. Everyone relatively sober and told the driver raheen, raheen then adare to which he replied no. It's outside his boundaries.

Pardon me if my sympathy is particularly low for a profession that has protested more than once in recent times regarding licensed/unlicensed drivers stealing their livelihood. How can someone refuse a fare and when the point was put forward that if it was a quiet night would he take the fare to which he replied he would but it wasn't a quiet night so it's not relevant.

My issue is where do I go from here. I have the drivers name, unfortunately not the license number but I want to make a formal complaint. I don't understand how any taxi driver thinks this is an acceptable way to do business but this one guy feels it was.

I'm going to assume you were going from Limerick City. A taxi driver cannot refuse a fare that is going 30 kms or less (which is within the boundaries of Limerick and Adare). Therefore you are more than within your rights to make a complaint. Hope that helps

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It may be dificult to identify him without his number, but definitely complain him to the taxi regulator. http://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/taxi-compliments-complaints/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

He probably didn't want to take it as he probably wouldn't have picked up any fares on the way back to town and wanted to stay close to the action and short quick fares. Not an acceptable reason however!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I had the opposite problem a few months ago. Wanted a spin from Sarsfield bridge out the Ennis Road because it was too cold to walk, and the prick refused because it was too short a fare!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

The local PSV office is in henry street Garda Station, i'd make a complaint to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

There's a taxi going around with all these pro-life posters up on the windows. Surprise, surprise its an old man driving the car. I refuse to get into that taxi ever! Has anyone else seen it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    The local PSV office is in henry street Garda Station, i'd make a complaint to them.
    Don't be an eejit wasting the Gardai's time with a non-criminal matter.

OP, report it to the taxi regulator. This is the only option you have.
    By the way, they won't do anything about it. I've reported plenty of terrible taxis over the last 5 years or so, and while the seat warmers / paper pushers will always follow up and send you a letter, nothing will actually be done as they have no power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

panda100 wrote: »
    There's a taxi going around with all these pro-life posters up on the windows. Surprise, surprise its an old man driving the car. I refuse to get into that taxi ever! Has anyone else seen it?

What's the problem? if he had pro-choice posters, someone else would have a problem. Or a Glasgow Rangers sticker etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The fact that he's pushing an agenda when he's only supposed to be providing a service, I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

How sober is relatively sober ? I'm asking this because a driver is well entitled to refuse anyone who he/she reckons will soil the car or be troublesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I 100% disagree with his support of youth defense, but he seems like a nice enough lad, he lives nearby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

seachto7 wrote: »
    What's the problem? if he had pro-choice posters, someone else would have a problem. Or a Glasgow Rangers sticker etc.

Well I'm pro choice but would never even mention this to this my clients at work let alone display pro choice posters in my office. It shows a complete unprofessionalism on his part and he is driving away business (literally!). It is also not nice to see anti choice posters of foetuses in youy face when your out and about in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,121 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

seachto7 wrote: »

Time and a place. If you run a business you should try and be politically neutral with it. It just makes business sense. Otherwise some people will refuse your services.

In this instance I would too.wouldn't want to be seen like I endorse that crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I had the misfortune of getting stuck behind it in traffic one day. Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Iang87 wrote: »

Why did you first tell him Raheen and then when there tell him Adare. Maybe when you got to Adare you might have wanted to go to Croagh/Rathkeale. Why not tell him up front?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Why did you first tell him Raheen and then when there tell him Adare. Maybe when you got to Adare you might have wanted to go to Croagh/Rathkeale. Why not tell him up front?

Read it again. It's pretty obvious he did tell him up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Read it again. It's pretty obvious he did tell him up front.

Yes sorry read it incorrectly. Apologies!! :0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Unfortunately OP without the Reg no., or Licence no., or his I.D. (Badge) no. there is nothing you can do.
    TBH he was an idiot. Adare, with a drop or two in Raheen, is only 20 odd minutes away at night. Meter would have easily got to €30 or so (especially with a small detour or two in Raheen).
    He wouldn't have made that much in town in the time it would have taken him to get out and back.
    There seems to be a minority of Drivers who are convinced that if they they leave the City Streetlights behind them then they are losing money. They just can't seem to grasp that 'a bird in the hand....' etc.

All you can do is get the roof-sign number if it happens again. And complain to the Regulator....the PSV section in Henry Street won't want to know, assuming you can even get through to them.

Advertisement