Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancellation & Travel Insurance

Options
  • 20-12-2014 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

So I was meant to be flying to Boston on Tuesday but my doctor has deemed me unfit to fly (28weeks pregnant) only found out late yesterday.

Rang Aer Lingus there and they said call my insurance first so I did and that person said it will be Monday before I can speak to anyone.

Just worried about whether it is ok to leave it that late?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

When did you buy your ticket ? I hope that it was more than 28 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

depends on the terms and conditions of your insurance policy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,444 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, most travel policies exclude cover for cancellation arising from a 'medical condition' or illness which you knew about 'or should have known about' at the time of booking the trip.

As advised above, you need to read the terms of your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭baby_pebble

They cover pregnancy as I spoke to them before buying it and said if my pregnancy was normal no problems which they will see from my medical records it was up until the last few days!

They cover pregnancy as I spoke to them before buying it and said if my pregnancy was normal no problems which they will see from my medical records it was up until the last few days!

They won't cover you right up to the due date as they certainly do not want you flying to the US with a couple of weeks to go and ending up giving birth prematurely in a New York maternity hospital where the bill will probably be in five figures.

Check your policy to see the limitations regarding pregnancy. If you're seven months pregnant I suspect you will not be covered. Most policies exclude cover within two months of the due date.

This is one of the entries in the exclusions list of my AIG policy.....

expenses which would normally be incurred as a result of pregnancy within 2 months of expected date of birth or childbirth;

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

kinda a catch 22 as the airlines will allow travel between 28->32 weeks with a doctors note.

Hope it works out for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭baby_pebble

Oh yes they cover til 32weeks they told me that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

braddun wrote: »

The OP is not asking us for medical advice.

OP, you will need a letter from your doctor stating that he/she examined you on a specified date and stating the medical reason why you cannot fly. You will then need to cancel the flight and clam the difference between the fare and the refund from the insurance company. The timing of the submission of the insurance claim isn't going to make a difference, just inform Aer Lingus ASAP that you can't travel and see what refund you can get.
    Rang Aer Lingus there and they said call my insurance first so I did and that person said it will be Monday before I can speak to anyone.

That sounds like a call agent kicking to touch and frankly being pretty dumb, the main thing you need to do with Aer Lingus is to simply cancel the booking and asking for a refund. They don't need to know (and normally don't care) why you are cancelling the flight.

Advertisement