Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange One re TV

Options
  • 20-12-2014 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Hi boardsies....
    Just wonder if anyone could help..
    Have an LG smart tv, which was switching off/on by itself. We brought it to be repaired and the power board was replaced.

Brought it home and the same problem happened. Now, the weird thing is - it works perfectly in the shop, but when we bring it home, it keeps shutting down.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.....thinking of throwing shoe at it!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

sugarman wrote: »
    Might be a stupid question, but have you tried it plugged into a different socket? And/or in another room? Could very well be your wiring and not the TV.

Thanks a mil....should have said that! Tried it in other sockets (and other rooms) and it just shuts down. We've an old Hitachi working in the socket where the Lg should be, with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭xxboylarzxx

weird question but could your neighbor have the same type of remote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Hi Missy,

I fix TVs, just came on here to post about a bulb when I saw your post..

The power on / power off thing, or slow power on, or not power on at all faults are associated with a failure of the electrolytic capacitors on the power board. Which is why they would have replaced the power board.. In defence of the shop, from what you have described with regard to the failure I would have thought replacing the PSU would have a 90% chance of fixing the issue.
    Brought it home and the same problem happened. Now, the weird thing is - it works perfectly in the shop, but when we bring it home, it keeps shutting down.

I have had this happen as well.. Where you get paranoid and think ... "God does not want me to have a TV :( ".... But there are usually logical reasons why it will work in the shop but not at home.... The main reasons would be 1. You have it on for longer periods of time at home and 2. Your home is probably a lot warmer than the shop, and this exacerbates the problems.. (a lot of issues with TV are made worse by adding heat). In short, replacing the power board did NOT fix the problem.

Can you post the model number of the TV? If you have had this problem with the TV, other people have probably had the same issue and may be able to guide you towards a permanent fix..

weird question but could your neighbor have the same type of remote?

Hi xxboylarzxx, thanks for your reply. It can't be the neighbour as we're too far away.

Could the TV be super sensitive to the electrical current? (While the older TV isn't?) - probably nothing at all to do with it......grasping at straws here!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

I reckon your haunted

• Advertisement

I reckon your haunted

If I don't sort this out, I will be -by a 17 year old PS4 player! :D:D:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

that's why I don't buy lg they still make crap after 30 years

was it repared under warranty

bring it back,they did not fix it right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz8U3abVxcU

braddun wrote: »
    that's why I don't buy lg they still make crap after 30 years

was it repared under warranty

bring it back,they did not fix it right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz8U3abVxcU

Hi there braddun,
    That's my problem - it works perfectly fine in the shop. When I get it home, that's when the fun starts!!!
    I really can't get to the nub of the issue, but having ruled out everything else, think it must be something to do with the electrical feed, that's shorting the TV (if that makes any sense at all!)

Hi there braddun,
    That's my problem - it works perfectly fine in the shop. When I get it home, that's when the fun starts!!! I really can't get to the nub of the issue, but having ruled out everything else, think it must be something to do with the electrical feed, that's shorting the TV (if that makes any sense at all!)

Did you read my post above? I might be able to help...

Hi Missy,

I fix TVs, just came on here to post about a bulb when I saw your post..

The power on / power off thing, or slow power on, or not power on at all faults are associated with a failure of the electrolytic capacitors on the power board. Which is why they would have replaced the power board.. In defence of the shop, from what you have described with regard to the failure I would have thought replacing the PSU would have a 90% chance of fixing the issue.

I have had this happen as well.. Where you get paranoid and think ... "God does not want me to have a TV :( ".... But there are usually logical reasons why it will work in the shop but not at home.... The main reasons would be 1. You have it on for longer periods of time at home and 2. Your home is probably a lot warmer than the shop, and this exacerbates the problems.. (a lot of issues with TV are made worse by adding heat). In short, replacing the power board did NOT fix the problem.

Can you post the model number of the TV? If you have had this problem with the TV, other people have probably had the same issue and may be able to guide you towards a permanent fix..

So sorry CountyHurler - I actually missed your first post. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. The TV was running in the shop for all of yesterday, with no problems at all. Yet as soon as we took it home, and tried to switch it on, it shut down. (We tried it in a socket in our Baltic :o hallway, so the heat wasn't an issue)

It's an LG- model number 55LM760T-ZB

Thanks again!

• Advertisement

Firstly, can I just say that I agree with the above that it is under warranty, and they should fix it for you. But I find with these guys, if you can help "guide" them towards the problem, it might help you get it fixed quicker instead of having to go back to the store a million times... Anyway...

Read the comments on the youtube page.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l7Y9j49nDM

Some guy has uploaded a video of the same problem with that model of TV.. A lot of people appear to be having the same issue... A few people are suggesting to remove the Ethernet connection and then try it...

I'm guessing that they did not connect the Ethernet in the shop, but you have the Ethernet connected at home?

Firstly, can I just say that I agree with the above that it is under warranty, and they should fix it for you. But I find with these guys, if you can help "guide" them towards the problem, it might help you get it fixed quicker instead of having to go back to the store a million times... Anyway...

Read the comments on the youtube page.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l7Y9j49nDM

Some guy has uploaded a video of the same problem with that model of TV.. A lot of people appear to be having the same issue... A few people are suggesting to remove the Ethernet connection and then try it...

I'm guessing that they did not connect the Ethernet in the shop, but you have the Ethernet connected at home?

Hello again - no Ethernet connected at home. When it worked, it worked wirelessly and connected to our wifi. The TV in the video you posted, could be ours...

Can you try shutting off the wireless temporarily?

There seems to be a lot of problems like this with various different brands of LG TVs.. Some people have got a new TV only for the same thing to start happening with the new one... So be aware of this if they want to give you the same TV again....

I've seen one guy online who has a fix where he fixes a fan to one of the chips on the main (audio/video) board and this cures his problem, and this may be the same issue as yours but it's not a realistic cure for the average punter.

There seems to be a lot of problems like this with various different brands of LG TVs.. Some people have got a new TV only for the same thing to start happening with the new one... So be aware of this if they want to give you the same TV again....

I've seen one guy online who has a fix where he fixes a fan to one of the chips on the main (audio/video) board and this cures his problem, and this may be the same issue as yours but it's not a realistic cure for the average punter.
    Hi there........there is a fix online-will try to post ....

Hi County Hurler,
    Will try with the wifi switched off....only problem is, the tv is used for the PS4, so wifi is needed.
    From the link you posted, it seems there's a lot of issues with the LG brand.
    I don't know where to go from here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭greasepalm

think outside the box any remotes stuffed behind cushions sending a signal out,and other wireless products like phones,microwaves in use?is the same power lead used at home and in shop?

i refused a good offer on lg tv as local shop would sell 10 and maybe 4 would come back faulty after 1 or 2 years.i bought panasonic tv and get 10+years out of them .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Hi County Hurler,
    Will try with the wifi switched off....only problem is, the tv is used for the PS4, so wifi is needed.
    From the link you posted, it seems there's a lot of issues with the LG brand.
    I don't know where to go from here

Why does the tv need wifi? The playstation sure, I understand that, but turning wifi off on your TV will just prevent you using the smart TV features, shouldn't affect playstation Internet

RedXIV wrote: »
    Why does the tv need wifi? The playstation sure, I understand that, but turning wifi off on your TV will just prevent you using the smart TV features, shouldn't affect playstation Internet

Oh...my mistake- I'm really not pushed about the smart TV.....just would like tv!!! Will try it now and see how it goes.

Hi there........there is a fix online-will try to post ....

The fix that I've seen online is to do with fixing a fan to one of the chips on the main board. That's something I would probably do on my own TV but not on somebody else's .... I've seen other people upgrading the firmware on the TV and had some success with that.. But if I was you I would not do either as you could risk voiding the warranty...

The reasons I'm saying to try without wifi is for two reasons:
    1. So you can point to the people in the store to the cause of the fault, and hopefully demonstrate it IN the shop...
    2. So that if you get stuck with the damned thing, that you will at least be able to use it as a TV, if not a smart TV....

It's a horrible position that you're in, well that the LG have put you in to be frank, but I've seen it quite a few times before... The one thing I would suggest is that you have to play hardball with them while it is in warranty. Cos the warranty period for TVs is short, and when it runs out they will not want to know you, if it there is a recurrence of the fault that they "fixed"..

The fix that I've seen online is to do with fixing a fan to one of the chips on the main board. That's something I would probably do on my own TV but not on somebody else's .... I've seen other people upgrading the firmware on the TV and had some success with that.. But if I was you I would not do either as you could risk voiding the warranty...

The reasons I'm saying to try without wifi is for two reasons:
    1. So you can point to the people in the store to the cause of the fault, and hopefully demonstrate it IN the shop...
    2. So that if you get stuck with the damned thing, that you will at least be able to use it as a TV, if not a smart TV....

It's a horrible position that you're in, well that the LG have put you in to be frank, but I've seen it quite a few times before... The one thing I would suggest is that you have to play hardball with them while it is in warranty. Cos the warranty period for TVs is short, and when it runs out they will not want to know you, if it there is a recurrence of the fault that they "fixed"..

It worked!! When I disconnected the wifi -it's still on!!
    Thanks so much CountyHurler - you've been so helpful. The TV is out of warranty as it was bought in November 2013, so I'm really grateful to you taking the time to help.

I won't ever buy another LG product;)

• Advertisement

It worked!! When I disconnected the wifi -it's still on!! Thanks so much CountyHurler - you've been so helpful. The TV is out of warranty as it was bought in November 2013, so I'm really grateful to you taking the time to help. I won't ever buy another LG product;)

That's great Missy, I hope it keeps working for you... With regard to not buying an LG ever again, unfortunately that wont avoid trouble...

I bought a lovely 46inch Sony Bravia (that wouldnt power on) to fix on Adverts for 100 quid, got it up and running and was delighted with it... About a week later, I noticed a small dark patch on the screen... Googled it and got that sinking feeling when I got a million responses to my search.. Went on to a page on a forum where there were thousands of people with the same fault, and the message that "it gets progressively worse over time".....

The only thing I would suggest in buying laptops / PCs / anything electronic would be to google the product before buying... It's better that you find the thread with a thousand disgruntled owners BEFORE you buy the product...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It worked!! When I disconnected the wifi -it's still on!!
    Thanks so much CountyHurler - you've been so helpful. The TV is out of warranty as it was bought in November 2013, so I'm really grateful to you taking the time to help.

I won't ever buy another LG product;)

As far as I know, there is a 2 year period of manafacturer warrantee under European law. Get onto lg directly about it.

Bruthal wrote: »
    As far as I know, there is a 2 year period of manafacturer warrantee under European law. Get onto lg directly about it.

Really? I didn't know that- will check it out and let you know....might come in handy for somebody else. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

I once had a TV and the Fluorescent light (CFL) caused strange effects on TV(changing channel randomly).

Just a thought if some interference is a cause?

That's great Missy, I hope it keeps working for you... With regard to not buying an LG ever again, unfortunately that wont avoid trouble...

I bought a lovely 46inch Sony Bravia (that wouldnt power on) to fix on Adverts for 100 quid, got it up and running and was delighted with it... About a week later, I noticed a small dark patch on the screen... Googled it and got that sinking feeling when I got a million responses to my search.. Went on to a page on a forum where there were thousands of people with the same fault, and the message that "it gets progressively worse over time".....

The only thing I would suggest in buying laptops / PCs / anything electronic would be to google the product before buying... It's better that you find the thread with a thousand disgruntled owners BEFORE you buy the product...

And to think, Sony would have been my next choice....I should stay well away from technology!!!;)
    Thanks for everything!

adrian92 wrote: »
    I once had a TV and the Fluorescent light (CFL) caused strange effects on TV(changing channel randomly).

Just a thought if some interference is a cause?

The switching off the wifi as suggested in the link posted by CountyHurler, worked....zero idea how or why, but it did.

Life was so much easier when we had a push button 'Ferguson' back in the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Have you UPC for your broadband, I had an issue with a UPC Horizon box and a LG Tv.

dingding wrote: »
    Have you UPC for your broadband, I had an issue with a UPC Horizon box and a LG Tv.

Actually....we do have UPC fro broadband....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Unfortunately it's a directive, and hence not law. Directives need to be writing in to law and Ireland hasn't made a law to enforce the directive

Advertisement