Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activating WH Visa by driving/train into Canada

Options
  • 20-12-2014 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi, sorry if its been asked before but I can't see it anywhere...

I was wondering if anyone has experience activating their working holiday visa crossing into Canada by car or train from the USA?

My plan was to drive or train it from Seattle into Vancouver, but I was wondering are they able to process me the same way as at an airport?

If anyone has any idea or tips it would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yes it will be fine. It can take some time though, so if you can drive, I'd recommend doing that. A train (is there a train that goes across the border?) or bus may very well leave without you and you'll be stuck at the border and you'll have to walk to the nearest town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Faith wrote: »
    Yes it will be fine. It can take some time though, so if you can drive, I'd recommend doing that. A train (is there a train that goes across the border?) or bus may very well leave without you and you'll be stuck at the border and you'll have to walk to the nearest town.

Yes there is a train that goes between Seattle and Vancouver. From looking at the schedules it looks like immigration is actually done in Vancouver station (there are no stops between the border and Vancouver as far as I can see). So that should not be an issue.

If you get a bus, you won't get left behind as the bus waits for all passengers to be processed. It could actually be quicker than an airport as there is only one bus load of passengers processed at a time, and it's unlikely many people will be activating work permits etc..

However, if you are not already in the USA then you may have an issue at the border when trying to get into the USA without a return ticket.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/WebHelp/ESTA_Screen-Level_Online_Help_1.htm#vwp3
    You are eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) if you:

Travel may not terminate in contiguous territory or adjacent islands unless the traveler is a resident of one of those areas

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Karlos_Macca

Yes there is a train that goes between Seattle and Vancouver. From looking at the schedules it looks like immigration is actually done in Vancouver station (there are no stops between the border and Vancouver as far as I can see). So that should not be an issue.

If you get a bus, you won't get left behind as the bus waits for all passengers to be processed. It could actually be quicker than an airport as there is only one bus load of passengers processed at a time, and it's unlikely many people will be activating work permits etc..

However, if you are not already in the USA then you may have an issue at the border when trying to get into the USA without a return ticket.

Brilliant informtation. Thanks a lot. I never thought about the issues of having a one way ticket into the US. I'll definitely have to reconsider my idea now! Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I have taken the train from Seattle to Vancouver and you definitely go through Canadian immigration at Pacific Central station in Vancouver. It's like arriving at the airport, not much different except you're stepping off a train instead of a plane.

Advertisement