Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiling the Ham in Coke.

Options
  • 20-12-2014 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've to bring a cooked ham to my sisters tomorrow for a cold buffet and i was thinking of trying this recipe - http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/ham-in-coca-cola-171

Has anyone done this? Is it not incredibly sweet??

Normally I just boil it and then glaze in honey and brown sugar and finish in the oven.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks a million

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've done it, it's been a few years since, so I don't recall the exact taste. I would definitely do it again, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

It is nice cooked in coke.
    I have cooked ham in coke before.
    It is not to sweat people commented on how nice it tasted and were surprised when i told them it was cooked in coke.

I say give it a try :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

highly1111 wrote: »
    Boiling the Ham in Coke.

It could only be a Nigella recipe.
    what's the street value of the ham afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

highly1111 wrote: »
    Has anyone done this? Is it not incredibly sweet??
    People overstate the sugar content of coke. Coke here is about 10.5% sugar, most apple juice is about 11% (which is also used to cook ham in).

But since people have it in for major mulitnational companies you will hear stuff like how coke contains 463 spoons of sugar, but they neglect to compare it to other common drinks, as it would ruin the rant.

Your usual honey & sugar glaze might well be imparting more sweetness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

It's also lovely cooked in ginger ale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Got a tip to steep the ham in cider for 24 hours before boiling it. Also to put while oranges in the pot when boiling. Any thoughts on this?

Suppose it can't do any harm

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've done it in coke the last two years, and it's very good actually. It makes the scum that floats to the top look absolutely disgusting though :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 527 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

I did one in Orange juice and water in the slow cooker and just threw a few cloves in aswell then glazed it in honey and mustard and baked it for 30 mins. Turned out sublime

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Got a tip to steep the ham in cider for 24 hours before boiling it. Also to put while oranges in the pot when boiling. Any thoughts on this?

Suppose it can't do any harm

Add a paper umbrella and serve it as a cocktail.

I'd say i wouldn't have much luck convincing the mammy to cook the ham in coke for christmas:/ Really want to try it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

The ham in coke is lovely. I have done it many times. I do add a onion, carrot, orange cut in half and cloves to the liquid. When it is cooked, let the ham cook in the liquid before glazing.

I save and freeze the liquid to use in stews at a later date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

It's the only way I will eat ham is when it's cooked in coke.

Really is fab

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The mother does it every year

Tastes excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

We cook it in Bulmers...nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The Cooking Club Pulled Pork recipe uses coke as the cooking liquor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Deenie123 wrote: »
    It's also lovely cooked in ginger ale.

+1 for this. And glazed with ginger preserve (or marmalade with dried ginger powder).

It really removes a lot of the saltiness of the ham and tenderises it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Do people not like the taste of ham??

Were lucky to have ham from our own pigs but even regular ship bought ham on it's own, boiled and them baked in the oven as is, it tastes wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

_Brian wrote: »
    Do people not like the taste of ham??

Were lucky to have ham from our own pigs but even regular ship bought ham on it's own, boiled and them baked in the oven as is, it tastes wonderful.

I like ham done normally. It's just even better boiled in ginger ale (or coke, it would seem). It still tastes like ham, but just better. It's like putting a little bit of salt on a tomato. Still tastes of tomato but the flavour is just enhanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Water, Cider, Veg and herbs.... lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

I'm in Canada now and first time i'm doing a christmas dinner by myself,

Just wondering how big a pot do you need to boil the ham?

Do you completely cover the ham in coke or half way up?

How long do you leave it in for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Cooking mine in Fanta this year for a change after doing in coke the last few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

allanb49 wrote: »
    I'm in Canada now and first time i'm doing a christmas dinner by myself,

Just wondering how big a pot do you need to boil the ham?

Do you completely cover the ham in coke or half way up?

How long do you leave it in for?
    http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/ham-in-coca-cola-171

1 2l bottle will do for a 2.5kg ham. Obviously more for a bigger ham. You want to cover it, but if it's only a matter of a few cm's below the top of the ham I usually just top it up with water as neither of us drink coke so any left over would just go to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Grand so,

I got a 10lb/4.5kg ham (I was told this would be big enough for 4 people) they may have given me a bigger one than i needed,

Going to cut it in half and put it in the slow cooker,

Would the time need to be increased on low setting?

I've been looking into some variations of Nigellas and it seems to be you do the baste with at the start and add the coke to it too.

Cheers for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

We do it in seven up, find it tastier than coke.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I do mine is cider every year, have it soaking at the moment for tomorrow cook, I roughly follow this recipe http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/bakedhamwithciderand_8922

If you are going to do the Ham in coke make sure it's proper coke, not diet coke, my sister in law did it in diet coke 1 year and it did not end up well at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

allanb49 wrote: »
    Grand so,

I got a 10lb/4.5kg ham (I was told this would be big enough for 4 people) they may have given me a bigger one than i needed,

Cheers for the help

4.5 Kg is huge!!! My family of 4 will struggle to eat a 3kg of ham over 2 dinners. But you have the meat afterwards for sandwiches,etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I slow cook my ham in gingerale after covering it in a honey, mustard, cinnamon and ginger rub. It's delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

just finished boiling my 3kg ham there and its resting up until the morning. Its boned and rolled, and Im wondering how to I go about glazing it and getting a decent bit of crispiness to the fat? or is it to late now that its been boiled…
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

I'm gonna be mad and do it in Pepsi! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'm guessing not but does this wreck your pot, I'm imaging a sticky mess that's impossible to clean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I cooked one in ginger ale yesterday, threw a few star anise in too. Lovely.

Advertisement