Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ruger single six.

Options
  • 20-12-2014 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

hi any advise welcome.

ive settle on a ruger single six for my pistol application.

i know ill have to have one cylinder blocked.

last week i got in a monatered alarm for this reason, 700 euro plus 35 per month. in anuary im joining the range in gory, i have a friend whos a member.

so what are my chances ? also does anyone know wher i can buy one, or is it an import job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

Have you shot one first to settle on it??

id say the best a shop/club will do is get you a serial number to put on the application. Cant see one being physically bought in for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

Have you shot one first to settle on it??

id say the best a shop/club will do is get you a serial number to put on the application. Cant see one being physically bought in for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭jaysblades

even if i paid up front ? no ive only held the modern style pistols with the magazines, i didnt like them. so i research 22 revolvers and i like the rugers styleing best. i know that might sound shallow, picking a gun on looks, but at least im honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

The best thing you can do is apply because there will be people here who will say no etc.. but no one will know bar the person who is going to grant the application. That is the truth of it.
    Have you thought about the fact you have to cock the hammer each time to fire etc...? I love them myself single action revolvers are lovely. However it depends what kind of shooting you would like to do.
    Best of luck in your application, I was told the same about something i applied for and there was no problem everyone i met said i was in dream land.

thanks for the reply man. i have though about the hammer cocking and to be honest, i love it. i think it add character. plus i just like old style guns better. im working on my paln of action, getting in the alarm was the first step. its good to have anyway i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

My first pistol was a Single Six, it was perfect to learn with, and teach others basic handgun skills with. I liked it very much, and wish I had it back now. What barrel length are you getting? Mine was 6-1/2 which was very well balanced and great out to 50 yards.

i dont know yet, ill have to find a dealer with one, or who would import one.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

For what its worth, Ruger lists Gowan & Bradshaw in Oranmore, Galway as a dealer. Maybe they could help you.

jaysblades wrote: »
    i dont know yet, ill have to find a dealer with one, or who would import one.

Yes they are a great gun. You might be better off getting it in yourself. From francoina in germany for instance. cheaper i would imagine. I am living in germany i will have a look around for one going cheap if you want as they are popular here.

for now anyway they have this instock. i am sure if you as for one they already have one in one of the shops of which there are many. the only thing is the super wont like this one as you can get another cylinder etc...:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    http://www.frankonia.de/Revolver+NR5L%2C%2C+.22+WMR-.22+lfb./Ruger/Ansicht.html?Artikelnummer=168583&lastSelected=f_s_marke&f_s_marke=Ruger&navCategoryId=63352

thanks man. im fairly sure a dealer has to import it tho. thanks for the price point.

• Advertisement

jaysblades wrote: »
    thanks man. im fairly sure a dealer has to import it tho. thanks for the price point.

No you can import it yourself it is very easy it is only one form it's on the doj website, i have done it myself. All the best in the new venture anyway, happy shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Try Northern Ireland, Cowboy Action shooting is gaining popularity there so some dealers are taking them in. I know a lad got one from there I will try and find out the specifics

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

http://gundeal.co.uk/ruger-single-six-.22-lr-.pistol-hand-guns-for-sale-502

right there's the revolver sorted lol, next thing is this your first firearm or have you more ? the reason Im asking is you don't need a monitored alarm for 1 firearm or even 2 or 3, there's def no harm in having it if you can afford it.I have recently been granted a pistol licence it will be my 2nd firearm, . I contacted the super's office before I did anything and was told I'd need to put in a non monitored alarm and a secure transit case for my car ie a metal box that can be locked and secured to somewhere in the boot, for transportation,I wielded a lockable bolt onto a metal ammo box that's the 2 things he wanted before he would consider a pistol application, I did both and last week my application was approved.

so the best bit of advice I can give you is ring the Firearms Office and see what the supers view is, and mention the revolver your thinking of buying, you will need to be a member of a Target shooting range prior to applying for a pistol or revolver.

thanks lads, i appreciate the help. this will be my 4th gun, 5th over all. i currently have a unique x51, a aya .410 and a howa .223. i previously had a 12g but i swaped it out for the .410.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

You don't need a monitored alarm for four guns, just a standard bell alarm.

The super could insist upon a monitored alarm though, you'll need one then.

You're above the standard needed though so that will work in your favour.

Advertisement