Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas jumpers and young guys acting a bit gay

• 20-12-2014 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Ok, this is not particularly intended to be a rant so apologies if it comes across as such (probably will), just a few observations more than anything.

Is it just me or has the whole Christmas jumper thing just exploded this year to the point where they are begining to wreck my head a bit. I think at one stage a few years back when only the odd person was wearing them they were kinda cool to wear in a sense one may look like an eidget wearing them but didn't give a toss...I suppose in a roundabout sort of way you were sending out the message I'm so confident in myself and my appearance I don't really give a toss if this Christmas jumper makes me look a small bit goofy.... Now so many eidgets are wearing them that they have lost their appeal. I was in a pub last night and it got to the stage where it was refreshing to see someone who was not wearing one of them. Maybe its all just me though and I'm not particularly getting into the festive spirit due to the slave driver of a company I work for insisting I work right through Christmas:(

Also, something else that really struck me last night. Many young guys, in particular in the 17 to 23 age group seem to have a very gay manner about them now. Don't get me wrong I've nothing against gay people or in anyway homophobic but I think we'll nearly all agree that its quite often very obvious and easy to spot, traditionally that is. The thing is now it would seem more and more apparently straight young guys have a very gay demeanor about them. Last night at one stage the amount of young guys hugging other guys was a bit over the top. I seen many of them had girlfriends so that would lead me to believe that many of them if not all of them were not actually gay.

Now I'm not implying that there is anything wrong with a guy hugging another guy or it means they are gay per se. Being straight I very much might hug a good friend myself if he was going out to Oz for example and I knew I would not see him for some time...say to him take care of yourself out there man or something like that. However, guys hugging their friends, being guys also every 10 minutes would to me imply gay....especially if they were wearing christmas jumpers, scarfs and one direction style haircuts as so many of them were...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Wow, closeted much. It's perfectly acceptable if you want to come out.

Unless they were hugging naked I think you're way over the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

When Irish males are drunk it's one of the few times they can hug their male friends. I'd just guess they are getting it out of their system until the next time they get locked :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

C'mere and give us a kiss OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Its seems to be the thing do do at this time of year, personally i dont see the problem. And the whole acting gay thing, what does that even mean?????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Ride me sideways was another one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Bromance is the best romance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Also, something else that really struck me last night. Many young guys, in particular in the 17 to 23 age group seem to have a very gay manner about them now. Don't get me wrong I've nothing against gay people or in anyway homophobic but I think we'll nearly all agree that its quite often very obvious and easy to spot, traditionally that is. The thing is now it would seem more and more apparently straight young guys have a very gay demeanor about them. Last night at one stage the amount of young guys hugging other guys was a bit over the top. I seen many of them had girlfriends so that would lead me to believe that many of them if not all of them were not actually gay.

Now I'm not implying that there is anything wrong with a guy hugging another guy or it means they are gay per se. Being straight I very much might hug a good friends myself if he was going out to Oz for example and I knew I would not see him for some time...say to him take care of yourself out there man or something like that. However, guys hugging their friends, being guys also every 10 minutes would to me imply gay....especially if they were wearing christmas jumpers, scarfs and one direction style haircuts...

Are you implying that only women can hug their friends?

Kitty6277 wrote: »

Jaysus, that sounds a bit lesbian to me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The only outing I'm concerned with as regards Christmas jumper-wearers is fcuking getting them out of any pub I'm drinking in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Am I the only one who noticed this about 3 years ago??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ok, this is not particularly intended to be a rant so apologies if it comes across as such (probably will), just a few observations more than anything.

Now I'm not implying that there is anything wrong with a guy hugging another guy or it means they are gay per se. Being straight I very much might hug a good friend myself if he was going out to Oz for example and I knew I would not see him for some time...say to him take care of yourself out there man or something like that. However, guys hugging their friends, being guys also every 10 minutes would to me imply gay....especially if they were wearing christmas jumpers, scarfs and one direction style haircuts as so many of them were...

Well that about seals it. I thought you were talking sh1te but then you rescued it right at the end. All those traits obviously point to loving men romantically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Maybe its not them,

Maybe you are just having a misery rant

Maybe you have latent homosexual urges and it upsets you.

Maybe.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Christmas jumpers? Meh.....

This is how you do Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Jaysus, that sounds a bit lesbian to me..

Not sure how you're getting that impression.

anncoates wrote: »
    The only outing I'm concerned with as regards Christmas jumper-wearers is fcuking getting them out of any pub I'm drinking in.
    My local only sells proper drink like Smithwicks and Jameson, no problems with the jumper brigade with their jagerbombs and flavoured cider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The French kiss each other I believe,imagine.....mmmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Only if they're naked ... and in the shower.

My local only sells proper drink like Smithwicks and Jameson, no problems with the jumper brigade with their jagerbombs and flavoured cider.

With their fancy vodka and dash and fruit based drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Just home from town after buying my few presents and that and I have to say I was disgusted at the conduct of huge groups of jumper wearing moronic knackers who I assume are doing "12 pubs of Christmas". They are of the opinion they hilarious in their festive jumpers and shouting and roaring foul language on the street. Before 6pm. Very intimidating to oaps and young kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

What's an eidget?

• Advertisement

Not sure how you're getting that impression.

star-trek-joke-gif.gif

Turtyturd wrote: »
    What's an eidget?
    A cross between an egit and an eejit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Was actually in a quite old school local pub last Saturday and these poor young lads came in wearing Santa outfits and the barman instantly points at the door and shouts YOU TWO. OU' !!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

OP I'm sending you a virtual hug. Here it comes .... Squeeeeeezzzzzzzzz,
    Think you didn't get enough as a young fella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

obezyana wrote: »
    And the whole acting gay thing, what does that even mean?????????

Seen as you asked a few things in particular as I would see as acting a bit gay;

Being particularly eager to hug your male friends every time the pass you;
    To me a guys voice, his conversation topics he tends to choose to speak about, his interests and often even his profession would tend to hint or even sometimes apparently give the game away that he is most likely gay;
    His general body language and clothing quite often would seem to indicate gay.

All or any combination of the above...seen as you asked are what would traditionally act as a good indicator to me.

Having said that its becoming apparent that is getting harder to tell and appearances are sometimes quite obviously sometimes deceptive.

By the way I don't particularly see anything wrong with it either. Its just when I'm not a dinasour either but when I was that age I did my male bonding by looking at and discussing girls with my friends, playing a bit of soccer or pool; fastest to floor a pint competitions (not that thats right)...them sort of things. Anyway each to their own I suppose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I am in the age group you mentioned. Firstly, Christmas Jumpers is just a thing that has caught on. If there's a college class night out at this time of year it's gonna be Christmas themed, so of course you go out and buy the cheapest Christmas jumper you can get from Dunnes or Pennies or wherever.

As for the gay thing, I don't see how men hugging each other on a night out when they are probably tipsy can be considered gay, and it's certainly not a new thing. I don't see too many "One Direction" haircuts, perhaps you are referring to haircuts that are longer than a number 2.

No Kittykat, you are taking my post out of context....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

What's a gay profession then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Slot Machine

What's this "gay manner"? No one ever told me I was supposed to act a certain way!

Turtyturd wrote: »
    What's an eidget?

Fuk it, maybe I am outta touch!
    A cross between an egit and an eejit.

Phew thats better....hope that answers your question...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Sounds like the observations of a chronic mucksavage that made it to the big city (probably the nearest town in reality) and is uncomfortable in the presence of anything other than a herd of cows or sheep.

Think they made a movie about it once OP you should check it out. It's called Midnight Cowboy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Seen as you asked a few things in particular as I would see as acting a bit gay;

Being particularly eager to hug your male friends every time the pass you;
    To me a guys voice, his conversation topics he tends to choose to speak about, his interests and often even his profession would tend to hint or even sometimes apparently give the game away that he is most likely gay;
    His general body language and clothing quite often would seem to indicate gay.

All or any combination of the above...seen as you asked are what would traditionally act as a good indicator to me.

Having said that its becoming apparent that is getting harder to tell and appearances are sometimes quite obviously sometimes deceptive.

By the way I don't particularly see anything wrong with it either. Its just when I'm not a dinasour either but when I was that age I did my male bonding by looking at and discussing girls with my friends, playing a bit of soccer or pool; fastest to floor a pint competitions (not that thats right)...them sort of things. Anyway each to their own I suppose...

If you really meant 'each to their own' you wouldn't have started the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

I suspect the OP got drunk last night and didn't realise he was in The George.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Thank god they were only acting gay. I can't imagine how long your post would have been if they were actually gay.

But in fairness, well done on wearing Christmas jumpers before they were cool. Your parents must be proud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

By the way I don't particularly see anything wrong with it either. Its just when I'm not a dinasour either but when I was that age I did my male bonding by looking at and discussing girls with my friends, playing a bit of soccer or pool; fastest to floor a pint competitions (not that thats right)...them sort of things.

I'm 35, straight and I never needed to prove my masculinity to anyone by doing any of those things. Yes, the 17-23 year old guys might act a bit gay to you but they aren't. The % of people who are gay has remained constant over thousand of years and it's not going to change anytime soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Hugging a man isnt gay. Penetrating his anus with your erect pens is gay.

Willfarman wrote: »
    Just home from town after buying my few presents and that and I have to say I was disgusted at the conduct of huge groups of jumper wearing moronic knackers who I assume are doing "12 pubs of Christmas". They are of the opinion they hilarious in their festive jumpers and shouting and roaring foul language on the street. Before 6pm. Very intimidating to oaps and young kids.

Gawd. What a disgrace. Young hoodlums running around having fun

CFlat wrote: »
    I suspect the OP got drunk last night and didn't realise he was in The George.

Or that George was in him.

What's this "gay manner"? No one ever told me I was supposed to act a certain way!

If you are a man and;

wear really tight clothes, scarfs and Christmas jumpers;
    are a hairdresser or interior design;
    talk with a voice considerably more high pitched than most fellas;
    drive a Mazda MX5 or new model mini or Fiat 500;
    hug your male friends every few minutes and are very touchy feely with them;
    are really into your soft furnishings;
    big into programs like xfactor, american idol, or that ballet dancing one;
    well up on the chick flicks.

All of the above in any combination would among other clues often indicate a high level of gayness to me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

anncoates wrote: »
    Was actually in a quite old school local pub last Saturday and these poor young lads came in wearing Santa outfits and the barman instantly points at the door and shouts YOU TWO. OU' !!

:)

Fair play to the chap. I'd say there was a loud cheer of approval from the patrons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Beaner1 wrote: »
    Hugging a man isnt gay. Penetrating his anus with your erect pens is gay.

No that's BDSM or the CIA doing an "interview". Which pen did you have in mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

If you are a man and;

All of the above in any combination would among other clues often indicate a high level of gayness to me...
    Oh my god I haven't laughed so much in years:pac:

If you are a man and;

You seem to know a lot about the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

gOPshyte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

If you are a man and;

Ownership of an MX-5 is to be commended, tbh. They're an excellent car.

I'm just learning that there are different levels of gayness. Who knew!

If you are a man and;

this ignorance is gay

Birneybau wrote: »
    If you really meant 'each to their own' you wouldn't have started the thread.

I think now Its only fair I am allowed start a thread and highlight my observations just as much as the next person is entitled to as long as my posts are not breaching the charter, rules and guidelines. Hey, I dont wish to change any of these people wearing Christmas jumpers or guys hugging each other. Just highlighting how things have changed since I was a guy their age really....even though I'm only 10 years older....that was the intent of my post.

I think it would be considered fair enough to start a thread over in the accommodation forum on house prices even though I had no intention of buying or selling a house?.....

this ignorance is gay

That just a pointless response really to be fair....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement