Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop keeps recommending installing security updates...

Options
  • 20-12-2014 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭

Over the last few days, the laptop has downloaded about 200 security updates.
    As I go to turn it off again, another 14 updates are being advised to be downloaded.
    My security is good and up-to-date and all the updates are from Microsoft but what is going on?

Laptop speed has been a bit slow lately, so I ran a full system check for viruses and got the all clear. A few drivers may need updating but can anyone offer an explanation why so many updates are 'required'?

Thanking you in advance,

L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Are they definately windows updates or is it a piece of malware warning you that you need updates / drivers etc. Can you post a screenshot.

If windows updates were disabled for a long time and have only recently been enabled that would explain the high number but I've never seen 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

Have you been off-line for an extended amount of time?
    Or has your updates been switched off?
    I recommend installing all updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Laptop is used daily and all recommendations are legit but there's just so many. A few days ago, I had to wait for 124 updates to be configured.
    I can't post a screenshot but they are newer versions of the same 'product'; eg, Security update for Win 7 4.5.1, then version 4.5.2, 4.5.3 yadda yadda.

'Tis more a nuisance than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 25,450 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There's usually a big bundle needing to be installed once a month, I think it's the day after the second Tuesday or something similar - Wed Dec 10th was the last such one. Otherwise all I typically see is the update for MS Security Essentials which is almost a daily update.

Advertisement