Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&VG to close

Options
  • 20-12-2014 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

Don't know if it has been posted here or not but computerandvideogames.com is turning off its servers early next year. As somebody who grew up with gaming in the 80s this is definitely a sad day. I loved this publication back in the day, the cheat sections, the game programmes they provided and the infamous Yob!!!

I still have a couple of copies of this magazine from the late 80s and indeed my much coveted copies of the Ultimate guide to videogames Volumes 1 and 3.

While some would argue that ceasation of the publication marked its closure its continued online presence, for me, maintained its existence. It's not a website I would visit daily, more weekly, but one that maintained its place amongst my "favourites" on my chosed web browser.

Whilst not wanting to be overly nostaglic, for me it marks the end of an era; the end of an era of bedroom coders, of high scores, of cheat sections, of smoke filled arcades, and of the emergence of gaming as a viable and "grown up" entertainement medium.

C&VG you will be missed but not forgotten:(

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/483033/features/messages-from-the-editors/

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pretty sure it's the oldest dedicated gaming publication in the UK if not Europe. Sad day indeed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I used to read it back in the 80's but, by the 90's I no longer enjoyed the magazine at all.
    I never time back into the publication, or website, at all.
    Ah well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

Have fond memories of it when growing up but never visited that often online.

Having said that I miss the gaming mags..something about having to read about up coming games etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I used to read the magazine back in the early 90s. Loved it at the time. I don't think I've ever visited the website though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I built up quite a collection of these around the ps1 era. It was substantially cheaper and better than all other games mags at the time. CVG was a major reason behind my unbearable anticipation of the Dreamcast release. I lost interest when they changed the art style and tried to look like a serious publication, it just didn't feel right. Anyway, I would say I visited the site about 20 times ever. T'is a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Really sad to hear it's closing, when I was a very young kid I sent a game idea in to them and they printed it in an issue, it was pretty much the first encouragement I ever got to become a game developer

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Aw man what a SICKNER! Grew up on their magazine and visit their website every day. I see some of their stuff will be migrated to Gamesradar, absolutely hate that site. Some good stories but I hate having to click 20 different links to read a story so they can increase page views instead of putting the content on one page.

Great cover
    image_327519_320.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Aw man what a SICKNER! Grew up on their magazine and visit their website every day. I see some of their stuff will be migrated to Gamesradar, absolutely hate that site. Some good stories but I hate having to click 20 different links to read a story so they can increase page views instead of putting the content on one page.

Great cover
    image_327519_320.jpg

It was the first magazine I got into in the 80s, I loved it, even had that one above, have a good few of them in my mothers I must dig them out sometime....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Never bothered with the site either. Became aware of the magazine in the late 90's, it was so cheap compared to the other games publications around at the time, so was great for a kid with very little disposable income. Pretty sure it was CVG who alerted me to the release of Metal Gear Solid in early '99 in Europe. They banged on about in incessantly in the months leading up to it and they were bang on about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Always felt it was a magazine that never grew up with it's audience. It always seemed to be aimed at children and young teens which was fine in the 80s and 90s but then lost it's audience after that as younger gamers didn't read magazines and the people that grew up with it moved on to other publications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Sadly the written word is vanishing, it is part natural progression to video content, but mainly it is simply becoming harder and harder for sites to keep going without making financially led decisions to compromise their content.

Clickbait sites continue to pull traditional advertisers away by showing they have huge numbers of "views". It is sad but you will get more views for a crap articles about "20 reasons why you hate women and are a terrible person but you didn't know it because you are so privileged" than you would for a well researched, well written industry piece.

Add in that when the readers do come a huge portion use adblock which demolishes the conflict free revenue stream.

More sites have closed or downsized this year than in any year I can remember, it really is coming to the stage that unless you are under the umbrella of a huge media company that can fund you, you are going to go under. Soon all we will be left with are agenda driven publications with little or no interest in the industry outside of promoting the agenda/company they are attached to.

Advertisement