Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas Day Traditions?

• 20-12-2014 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what traditions peoples have here for Christmas Day or indeed what new ones are you creating if you've broken away to start your own new family ? Swim in the sea, champagne breakfast, midnight mass, presents opened throughout the day, fish instead of turkey?

I've developed the tradition of Christmas morning breakfast- French toast, bacon and maple syrup with sparkling wine:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

6 cans of cider for breakfast, a few benzos in the afternoon and then topped off at dinner with a couple of bottles of cough syrup.

Steak for brekkie!

This year I've a doggie so a big long walk in the woods will be a new tradition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

Steak for brekkie!

This year I've a doggie so a big long walk in the woods will be a new tradition.

That actually sounds quite sinister for your dog.:confused:

paulbok wrote: »
    That actually sounds quite sinister for your dog.:confused:

>.>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

I don't get up to 12

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Big family fight after the dinner. It wouldn't be Christmas without it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Strawberry ice cream in a pint glass of fizzy orange, a tradition started about 20 odd years ago by my mother and carried on every Christmas eve night since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Steak for brekkie!

Ah that's cool:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

We always have Viennetta after dinner. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Go down the neighbour's house for a feed of brandy Christmas morning, home and make a balls of making the dinner, collapse in front of the fire and watch shite on telly.

• Advertisement

6 cans of cider for breakfast, a few benzos in the afternoon and then topped off at dinner with a couple of bottles of cough syrup.

You have dinner? :eek:

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Eat, drink, Sleep, rinse, repeat:D

Oh yeh and the obligatory family row thown in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Ruu wrote: »
    We always have Viennetta after dinner. :)
    I buy a sherry trifle from SuperValu and fcuk half a bottle of Brostol Cream in it.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Xanax. Lots and lots of Xanax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Eat a big feed and spend the day arsing around online and/or watching films. So a regular weekday essentially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Avoid the annual family fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Mass. Walk. Buffet tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

We always have loads of desserts. We have a flan with the base soaked in A winters tale sherry and filled with loads of fruit and fresh cream, trifle with loads of A winters tale sherry and profiteroles and fresh cream and chocolate log:)

Up at 8am for present then I fast till Dinner then more time for present

then 6pm - 10pm Soaps (Coronation Street, Emmerdale, Eastenders & Fair City)

then Mrs Brown Christmas Special then off to bed

Avoid the annual family fight

Its not Christmas without the family Row

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Its not Christmas without the family Row

Yes it is! :mad::mad:

Ruu wrote: »
    Yes it is! :mad::mad:

Oh no it's not:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

On a serious note .. .

Avoid the mother when she is prepping the Christmas dinner. Lovely lady for the whole year, but you go near the kitchen on Christmas before it's time and she turns into a right battleaxe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Do any of you go to pubs? a few friends of mine do every year after dinner, in the side door of the local pub. I personally don't as I prefer to spend the day with family (well I probably would go but my mother and father wouldn't be very impressed)

I always wonder why the owner does it, like Jesus it's one of the only two days in the year they have off. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i don't **** on xmas day

too holy a day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Wake up at some time around 10-11am. Eat the breakfast left out for me and then wait for everyone else to come back from mass. Then its just the usual dinner, do nothing for ages and eventually open presents.

Do any of you go to pubs? a few friends of mine do every year after dinner, in the side door of the local pub. I personally don't as I prefer to spend the day with family (well I probably would go but my mother and father wouldn't be very impressed)

I always wonder why the owner does it, like Jesus it's one of the only two days in the year they have off. :pac:

It certainly used to happen years ago for regulars in country pubs; tradition and all that. Haven't experienced it in recent years though, I wonder does it happen at all these days. It was harmless even back in the day, just friends meeting up Christmas morning for a drink, nothing major; in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

eat everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Get up and lick the smoken salmon, fapping, followed by drinking emetic and castor oil, then a tray of zimmos. Get up when all the fighting is over, going straight for the trifle and lumping it on top of my turkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Wake up at 10, go to the fridge in my boxers for a can, go back to bed to drink the can, have a shower, visit granny's, drink some more, go home, drink more, eat dinner, drink more, sleep off the drunkness, watch Eastenders, watch Australian cricket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Macavity. wrote: »
    Big family fight after the dinner. It wouldn't be Christmas without it.

Dreading Christmas. My sister has already started the fighting. Blamed me for a broken Christmas tree. I wasn't taking her moods, so I stopped talking to her. Screw that. That was last week.

So, according to my sister, to get revenge on my sister for giving out to me I stole her bank card. It fell out of her purse and apparently I didnt leave it back properly. She accused me that I had intentions of clearing out her account.

I have to laugh. Karma is a bitch. Her bank card has been skimmed. And I didn't have to do anything.

This year, I'm sitting quietly over the dinner table, reverting back to the bedroom. Not giving the crow a reason to bite my head off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Fall asleep in front of the fire, wake up with a cats ass in my face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Steak for brekkie!

Umm... be careful walking in the woods. There are carrot and tree people living there that can pop into your existence and frighten you. You should especially watch out for the carrot people, they can trap your feet and drag you deep under-soil and devour you if you're not observant.

Be careful in those woods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

cloud493 wrote: »
    Mass. Walk. Buffet tea.

What is buffet tea??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Annual swim in Salthill at 11am. The atmosphere is fantastic and it's a really good start to the day. I always feel on a high afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

LorMal wrote: »
    What is buffet tea??

Its where your tea (the meal) is made exclusively of bad buffet food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

A family royal rumble at about half 5 when everyone is getting tipsy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We've got Christmas day for ourselves this year so it'll be sleeping late, opening presents, smoked salmon on thickly buttered soda bread for breakfast and shed loads of food for dinner, followed by a walk to stop ourselves falling asleep after the heart attack inducing amount of food that gets consumed. Then it'll be a marathon of Christmas specials on tv, starting with Dr Who. Of course there'll be Christmas pudding and probably manage to tuck into some Thorntons chocolates even though I'll be feeling nauseous from all the food I'd already eaten.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Lightweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

One thing I remember more than the presents was my mother's offer to all her children that each could decide what they wanted for Christmas day breakfast and she would buy it. I ordered Sugar Puffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

On a serious note .. .

Avoid the mother when she is prepping the Christmas dinner. Lovely lady for the whole year, but you go near the kitchen on Christmas before it's time and she turns into a right battleaxe.

I was helping the mother last year in the kitchen,it resulted in a massive fight and me leaving the house for 3 days!i didnt get a crimbo dinner last year:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

We must be the only family in the history of Ireland that don't buy a whole rake of drink for Christmas! There's usually none in the house. Maybe a bottle of wine for a half glass each with dinner. Couldn't imagine Christmas pissed!

Don't have any traditions really. Just wake up, open presents and chill out all day :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

We never really used to have traditions but in recent years we've made some.

We get up at around 8am, have a glass of champagne, put on a fry (well, a grill; I can't really stomach anything fried), have that, and then wash up.
    Then we'll sit down and I'll hand my other half his presents, he'll hand me mine, then we take it in turns to open one each.

After all the "ooh"-ing and "aah"-ing and messing around with our gifts, we'll start preparing the turkey.
    There'll be a kids' film on in the background; sit down for dinner at around 5pm.

Flop on the sofa afterwards, stuffed, but at around 8 or 9pm, we'll have room for a turkey sandwich and then the booze will come out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Go for a long "Christmas walk" before dinner. This is a chance for me to have my (probably) only cigarette of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Go to visit the dead people in the grave yards. My buddy is in one, my gran in another. A few uncles and aunts scattered around. its nice to remember them and its gets me out in the fresh air.

Frogeye wrote: »
    Go to visit the dead people in the grave yards. My buddy is in one, my gran in another. A few uncles and aunts scattered around. its nice to remember them and its gets me out in the fresh air.

It's been part of the run up to Christmas for me for many years too; I'm an expert on where to buy a resilient Christmas plants that will survive sub zero temperatures well:D

Advertisement