Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No HOT WATER downstairs? Air lock?

• 20-12-2014 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

HI all, Earlier this evening I put in a new kitchen sink and mixer tap. Before hand, I turned off the mains cold water and the hot water feed from the cylinder.

After installing the taps, I re-opened the mains cold and the hot water feed, but unfortunately I now have no hot water downstairs in the house, either in the kitchen or the downstairs bathroom.

Upstairs bathroom and en-suite are fine hot and cold.

Is this an air-lock? Any ideas how to fix?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭burly

Spoke to a plumber yesterday, who told me what to do, so thought I would share the solution for future reference.

This worked for me, where I was getting nothing from the downstairs hot water taps, but had hot water upstaairs. Cold water was fin everywhere. I used the kitchen mixer tap to perform this solution.

1. Open the hot water tap fully. (nothing came out)
    2. Place hand over the spout tightly, trying to seal it with your hand as best as possible.
    3. Open the cold water tap about halfway. (keep hand firmly agsint spout, you should feel the pressure against your hand.)
    4. You should hear a rattling sound as the air lock is pushed back up into the cistern in the antic. This could take from 5 seconds to 20 seconds in my case. When the rattling stops, the air-lock should be gone.
    5. Release yoir hand, Turn off the cold tap, and you should see hot ater coming from the tap now.

Worked for me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

burly wrote: »
    Spoke to a plumber yesterday, who told me what to do, so thought I would share the solution for future reference.

This worked for me, where I was getting nothing from the downstairs hot water taps, but had hot water upstaairs. Cold water was fin everywhere. I used the kitchen mixer tap to perform this solution.

1. Open the hot water tap fully. (nothing came out)
    2. Place hand over the spout tightly, trying to seal it with your hand as best as possible.
    3. Open the cold water tap about halfway. (keep hand firmly agsint spout, you should feel the pressure against your hand.)
    4. You should hear a rattling sound as the air lock is pushed back up into the cistern in the antic. This could take from 5 seconds to 20 seconds in my case. When the rattling stops, the air-lock should be gone.
    5. Release yoir hand, Turn off the cold tap, and you should see hot ater coming from the tap now.

Worked for me!!

Had a similar problem upstairs.... Turn tap on. Place garden hose up to spout, 20 secs later job done

Advertisement