Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I receive a contract every year?

Options
  • 21-12-2014 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi

Just a quick one, I am living in my apartment four years now, first two years the contracts were posted to me I signed them and posted them back, third year they never sent me a new contract so nothing was signed last year at all, I actually just forgot about it. I am due to sign for this year now.

But my question is should I not have received a contract for the last year?
    Should you not have to sign one every year or how does it work?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I assume you're talking about a lease.
    Well, when I first moved into my rented apartment, I signed a lease.

That was the only lease I signed even though I was there nine years.
    Now, myself and the Landlord had a good relationship and we parted on good terms but looking back, it was silly that our lease was never renewed as we had no protection, really.

Make it your business to have another lease drawn up and signed, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

You just default to a Part IV tenancy - plenty of info here and on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 peaceandlove

So does that mean that I actually don't need to sign a contract this year?
    Sorry I am a bit confused by it all! I don't know why I wasn't sent one last year but need one this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Generally the rights of a Part IV are better than a fixed term. I don't know enough about it to give you an error free walk through so have a google or I'm sure someone else will be kind enough to give you a steer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

fussyonion wrote: »
    it was silly that our lease was never renewed as we had no protection, really.

Sorry, but that is almost totally untrue. In fact you had all the same protections due to being on a Part IV tenancy, without being tied into a 12 month agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Generally the rights of a Part IV are better than a fixed term. I don't know enough about it to give you an error free walk through so have a google or I'm sure someone else will be kind enough to give you a steer.

Just to clarify- your rights a tenant under a Part IV tenancy- are in addition to any rights granted to you in your lease. No terms in a lease can take from any rights under a Part IV tenancy- or contradict any terms of the 2004 Residential Tenancies Act. A formal lease may grant rights additional to those specified under the Act- but it cannot supercede or replace them- unless the terms granted in the formal lease exceed those of the Act.

Advertisement