Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Mad /Stupid hings you routinely did as a youngster on a bike but wouldn't dream of no

• 21-12-2014 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Here's two for a start
    Riding without a visor by night in the rain and using the taillights if a car in front to know where you are going.
    Three on a bike (CG125) if somebody was stuck for a lift home. Yes we were small.
    I'm sure there are better (worse?) stories.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I know a lad that did 100mph down oconnell street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Do 100mph down O'Connell st............................:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Went through a phase of backfiring the bike when driving past people to scare the life out of them.

But of a dick thing to do now in hindsight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Cienciano wrote: »
    I know a lad that did 100mph down oconnell street

Was his name Harry Spoof 😃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Driving after a few drinks, I'm afraid to say. In the 80s attitudes to this were very different, but that doesn't make it any less incredibly stupid and irresponsible. Popping wheelies or speeding come way lower down the list, really... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Flying through the toll while "Forgetting" to pay......:o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

The thread is about stupid things. Nothing stupid about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Cienciano wrote: »
    The thread is about stupid things. Nothing stupid about that

... Also, things you wouldn't dream of doing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...taking a bike out to meet a Girl........and coming back from her house at night with no lights working at all......like the first post, followed a car all the way in to Galway in the dark.....

..hooning around Eyre Square and down Shop Street at night when it was quiet.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Dexter Bip wrote: »
    Here's two for a start
    Riding without a visor by night in the rain and using the taillights if a car in front to know where you are going.
    Three on a bike (CG125) if somebody was stuck for a lift home. Yes we were small.
    I'm sure there are better (worse?) stories.

When I was really young, I was too stupid to own a bike. I copped on when I was 26.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭DoomZ

Doing about 80mph on a beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

i sold my DNA gilera 50 for a 125 marauder and tried to figure out gears and a clutch on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

DoomZ wrote: »
    Doing about 80mph on a beach.
    That is just fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭sean61

Using a kx250 as my primary means of transport when i was 16. I live n the country so there wasn't many places i needed to go that couldn't be accessed by riding through back roads, bogs, unused railways or quarries. Didn't even own a helmet and the bike was a wreck. There was a few of us doing it and how we didn't get hurt baffles me now

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭naulpolan

Riding flat out everywhere 😄 I try not to go any more than 80% now😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Wheelies, everywhere, every set of lights etc, insanity, I'm trying to cut down ;)

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

through town and 4 miles out the country to count cattle on the back of a ke100 with school uniform on and no lid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

Tzardine wrote: »
    Went through a phase of backfiring the bike when driving past people to scare the life out of them.

But of a dick thing to do now in hindsight.
    Bet it was fun at the time though!

Here's another.
    Bloke I knew had a Honda 50 and had a practice of overtaking on blind bends when the traffic was slow enough for him to get past. This was the N22 west of Macroom where most of the road is continuous White line.
    And another.
    Towing a bike with another. No brakes on th towed bike. Stopped by overtaking towing bike and taking slack on rope. Even with brakes towing a bike is not a good idea.
    Keep 'em coming.

Do 100mph down O'Connell st............................:P

Was there last week in the car and managed 0.1 mph. Must have been off peak time? Can't do smilies yet but imagine a puzzled face. Maybe you mowed the lot down? I certainly considered it

• Advertisement
Advertisement