Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd Year project

Options
  • 21-12-2014 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Right so im in third year in college computer science and iv decided to build a website now iv built a few before html and css, a couple of joomla wordpress and basic html so i know the basics and maybe a little more than the basics.

So iv decided for my third year project to build a website for my project and here is my idea anything from opinions on development languages places to find good tuts etc anything and everything welcome.so here is my idea.

The website is going to be a sports league style website where you can login and create posts about events and results of matches etc

so what im assuming from what i have looked into here and there in different tuts and books etc is what i will need to build it.
    - Html 5 and CSS3 Design
    - PHP - to generate the pages and the membership functionality
    - Mysql database to hold the members info
    - local server setup WAMP Server setup on my local machine to be able to test and run the site locally easily

If this is not clearly outlined i apologise and if anyone here has built one like this before all replies and comments are welcome :)

Thanks,
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

If you're building a web site, then of course you're going to use HTML5 and CSS3, but you have to degrade gracefully if the browser being used doesn't support all the features you want to use. You seem to have forgotten about JavaScript on the client side - was that deliberate? Most modern sites use JS extensively, simply calling REST services on the server side - maybe you should consider that? Your use of WAMP & MySQL should be abstracted so that you simply have a server and a database - you should be ably to architect your solution so that the specifics for any particular server are held in one place, and all the other code is completely generic. For example, if your data layer is abstracted enough, you should be able to swap in & out any RDBMS and even any NoSQL DB.

One important point: get a design person to do the UI/UX - engineers are crap at that kind of thing. Even someone who is studying art rather than design would be good.

Advertisement