Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duolingo

• 21-12-2014 7:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Just discovered the free Duolingo app. So far, I've run through a couple of lessons and am very impressed. It's an addictive way to learn, and is set to while away a few hours over Christmas.
    I'd be interested to know if others have had a go.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

I'm using it to relearn french. Have you heard of memrise? It's not an app, it's only on computers afaik.
    It uses mnemonic devices(eg avoir = to have: "I 'av") and scheduled repetition to help you remember words. It covers the areas duolingo deems to be lacking.
    It seems strange, but it's a really good way to help remember stuff, for example, even after 10 years of not doing french, I could still remember the french for green: vert/verte, because it sounds like pervert :confused: It's weird but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EhBenDisDonc

I have played around a little with the Memrise Android app. I haven't quite made my mind up. It seems to involve a lot of repetition, but could be a useful tool for building vocabulary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

Glad I opened this thread. Have been using Duolingo to learn French for a while now, will have to take a look at Memrise to assist in learning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Just discovered the free Duolingo app. So far, I've run through a couple of lessons and am very impressed. It's an addictive way to learn, and is set to while away a few hours over Christmas.
    I'd be interested to know if others have had a go.

No but thanks for the tip. I'm studying French in college so this could be a great help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

I have played around a little with the Memrise Android app. I haven't quite made my mind up. It seems to involve a lot of repetition, but could be a useful tool for building vocabulary.

I'm still at an early enough stage of learning so I find it useful for learning the lists of verbs, duolingo doesn't really teach you them well or revise them often enough and when it does revise them, it revises the same ones most of the time. It also doesn't quiz you on the root of the verbs.
    There is an unoficial duolingo specific memrise course. The best thing to do is set everything to ignore and just unignore whatever you are learning at the minute

• Advertisement
Advertisement