Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Macbook won't start

• 21-12-2014 8:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Was hoping someone could help me here before I ask Apple for help.

I've a MacBook (13-inch Aluminum Late 2008) that won't start up. Not even in safemode. It gets to the apple logo, spins for awhile and then shuts down.

I've tried clearing the PRAM but that didn't help either.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Sounds very like the issue I had with my 2009 model. It turned out to be a ribbon cable from internal HDD to guts of mac had given up. Common issue... approx $70 online for cable. easy to change, if you that way inclined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Interesting.

I booted it into Single User Mode and got a 'disk0s2 i/o error invalid node structure'.

Same issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

I was getting kernel errors I think on start up. what you've posted I don't recognise ..

I ran /sbin/fsck -fy and got

disk0s2: I/O error .
    Invalid Node Structure
    (4, 45048)
    ** Volume check failed

Doesn't look good. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

Looks like it might be an issue with a storage file directory being corrupt, do you have a latest backup of your machine ? And what OS are you running ?
    You could try some of suggestions here http://www.megaleecher.net/Fix_Invalid_Node_Structure#axzz3MWN2FmTw

• Advertisement

Looks like it might be an issue with a storage file directory being corrupt, do you have a latest backup of your machine ? And what OS are you running ?
    You could try some of suggestions here http://www.megaleecher.net/Fix_Invalid_Node_Structure#axzz3MWN2FmTw

No latest backup and no idea what OS - I gave the Macbook to my sister a few years ago and not sure what OS was on it when I gave it to her :(

Tried that and i got a bit further. Got far enough that I could get my pictures off it but its sporadic on how I can get it up and running.

I think its time to sell for parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

Tried that and i got a bit further. Got far enough that I could get my pictures off it but its sporadic on how I can get it up and running.

I think its time to sell for parts.

Or just and get a new HDD for it :cool:
    Have you tried putting the old HDD in one of those external HDD enclosure and then plug it into another mac to see if the disks would spin ?

Tbh, I already have had 3 new macbooks since getting this one (This was my first - aw memories) so fixing it really isn't a huge priority for me.

I spent too many years in a job taking macbooks apart and its soul destroying.

Advertisement