Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin Connect

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

cython wrote: »
    I get both Crossmaglen and Kilkeel on mine, the former when I leave from home (Dublin 15) and the latter when I leave from work (Dublin 2).

Snap - Crossmaglen from Leixlip area and Kilkeel from Beggars Bush area

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TommyGrealy

cython wrote: »
    When you have 10x as many posts as you currently have :)

Thanks Cython - now I'm another post nearer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

I get Kilkeel aswell in Dublin 13 on an 810. Thought it was just my account that I couldnt have been bothered changing the location on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭martin.mcevoy

According to my Garmin I am cycling around Garrison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'm going to a wedding in Warrenpoint, in a few week's time.
    I'll bring my Garmin home for a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

My problem with my Garmin Edge 500 is that the auto-pause functionality doesn't seem to work. I've tried setting auto-pause to 'when stopped' mode' and 'less than x kmph' and it still records (average speed drops) when I am stopped say for a coffee or lunch. I get a readout on Garmin Connect afterwards showing 'average speed' and 'average moving speed.' This didn't happen on my Edge 200, i.e. auto-pause feature worked correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

Pdoghue wrote: »
    My problem with my Garmin Edge 500 is that the auto-pause functionality doesn't seem to work. I've tried setting auto-pause to 'when stopped' mode' and 'less than x kmph' and it still records (average speed drops) when I am stopped say for a coffee or lunch. I get a readout on Garmin Connect afterwards showing 'average speed' and 'average moving speed.' This didn't happen on my Edge 200, i.e. auto-pause feature worked correctly.

Do you have a speed/cadence sensor by any chance? I've heard of it messing up auto-pause before. Might be worth a quick test disabling to see if that helps, disregard if you're GPS only.

Maybe I should just do all my running in Crossmaglen

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

gambeta_fc wrote: »
    Do you have a speed/cadence sensor by any chance? I've heard of it messing up auto-pause before. Might be worth a quick test disabling to see if that helps, disregard if you're GPS only.

Nope. GPS only for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Reported the issue to Garmin, just in case they were oblivious to it....

"We are aware of this issue and it is being addressed. We do not currently have a timeframe for when this will be fixed"

just fyi...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I have had tons of problems with garmin connect. For ages it stopped recognizing my android phone and just started working again. The heart rate monitor is now useless and doesn't work anymore... very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Just uploaded today's ride and mine is back to 'untitled'. Phew just when I thought da interwebs was broken...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ogre357

very hit an miss uploading at the end of a cycle. Mostly upload failed. Good connection. Deleted app and then repaired phone and 810. bit better but frustrating

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Getting frustrated with Garmin now tbh. Between Garmin Connect and its problems, watches that crash/hang and crap bloody charging clips (my wife's replacement 110w charging clip just broke, it was to replace the original which broke) I don't think I'd buy Garmin ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭devonp

ogre357 wrote: »
    very hit an miss uploading at the end of a cycle. Mostly upload failed. Good connection. Deleted app and then repaired phone and 810. bit better but frustrating

i use the wire thru' mac and GConnect, never fails, a bit more cumbersome
    my issue is i'm back in Crossmaglen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Anyone having problems using nativgation on an 810? Tried using routes Ive uploaded onto mine twice now in the last month and both times it freezes. Also if your on the route and didnt use the route planner from the very start it tells you to go back to the start of the route. Try navigating to a point on the map that you put in yourself it freezes. Put a pin on sally gap earlier to navigate from Powerscourt and the garmin wanted me to take the 1st left at the top of Djouce which was a rutted sheep track into a field then at Ballinastoe it wanted me to go into the forest. As for Connect im still in Kilkeel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

PauloMN wrote: »
    Getting frustrated with Garmin now tbh. Between Garmin Connect and its problems, watches that crash/hang and crap bloody charging clips (my wife's replacement 110w charging clip just broke, it was to replace the original which broke) I don't think I'd buy Garmin ever again.

Never have any problems uploading or see data. Haven't see any crashes.

Could be just you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Wont upload todays ride for me, uploaded 2 days ago and it uploaded a test I did on it an hour ago. Now it's not connecting with the device at all. Pretty pissed off with it tbh.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

tunney wrote: »
    Never have any problems uploading or see data. Haven't see any crashes.

Could be just you?

Good for you.

Read the thread, it's far from just me experiencing problems. Garmin should be the premium marque for GPS consumer products, but their poor quality would suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I went back to 'untitled' last weekend but my two spins from this weekend have reverted to Kilkeel. It doesn't really bother me as I always edit them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Hi all,

Anyone find a fix for the kilkeel or Crossmaglen Cycling on connect? Driving me mental trying to sort it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hi all,

Anyone find a fix for the kilkeel or Crossmaglen Cycling on connect? Driving me mental trying to sort it.

Dont think there is a fix. Its garmin not following through on the role out of locations like strava or what ever

godtabh wrote: »
    Dont think there is a fix. Its garmin not following through on the role out of locations like strava or what ever

Yes, this is still not fixed. I think the reason it's annoying is that its kind of disrespectful. As if to say "yea, Republic of Ireland? we could map that but lets not bother"... even though they sell watches here - at a higher price than some of the places where this works.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Yes, this is still not fixed. I think the reason it's annoying is that its kind of disrespectful. As if to say "yea, Republic of Ireland? we could map that but lets not bother"... even though they sell watches here - at a higher price than some of the places where this works.

Yep, and it doesn't give you much faith in a satnav company when you arrive in after a long spin through Kildare and Wicklow only to be informed you've spent your day in Crossmaglen :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

there was an error message to say it wasn't working with a browser? i just had to delete the existing one and re-installed the newer version this week but now working again with no issues. syncs as it should do immediately.

It looks like Garmin have addressed this.

Yesterday I left home for a spin and when I got home and uploaded it I got the usual Kilkeel Cycling.

This morning when I uploaded my spin I got Dublin 6W Cycling. In reality, I'll still edit it but at least it reflects the correct location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, someone (Tunney) started a thread the other week in the Tri forum posting in glee that they're no longer training in Kilkee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd actually forgotten about this issue - I started using Ant2net on my phone to upload, and it doesn't try to place you if you upload that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

No change for me. I'm still in Warrenpoint, according to Garmin.

It's a bit odd.... mine have all been Crossmaglen for months, but then one single run I did last Monday (9th of Nov) went in correctly as Trim. My runs since are all back to Crossmaglen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

PauloMN wrote: »
    It's a bit odd.... mine have all been Crossmaglen for months, but then one single run I did last Monday (9th of Nov) went in correctly as Trim. My runs since are all back to Crossmaglen.

Yeah, mine had a day of being correct (around the same time that the site was down for a day,) but now it's back to Crossmaglen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I recorded 3 different spins yesterday, the first two as usual were kilkeel but the 3rd was d17, where I finished up

My spin home from work is listed as Kilkeel Cycling.

Easy come, easy go.......

I posted earlier in the Athletics forum, but 2 activities that I uploaded today were tagged Kilteel. The runs were from a few months ago but runs prior to those, uploaded at the same time, were tagged reasonably correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

I've found of late that if I upload via the Garmin Connect website and thus a browser plugin, the location gets stamped correctly, but if I use Garmin Express I'm in either Kilkeel or Crossmaglen. Not sure if anyone else who observed temporary "fixes" happens to use varying upload mechanisms?

I uploaded a bunch in one go using Garmin Express, but there's no pattern as to how they were tagged. Some were given reasonable enough locations, some were given Kilkeel, and some were given Crossmaglen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Does it matter? Isn't the map of the cycle still correct so what difference does it actually make?

And before anybody comes back with 'if we never brought it up it will never change etc' I'm not saying its wrong to highlight it but merely asking the question as to the impact.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Does it matter?

It plays havoc with my OCD.

I'm starting to see a pattern emerge (which may be pure coincidence) but when I upload the spin from my Edge 200 via Garmin Express on the work laptop running Windows, the location is accurate. When I upload a spin at home (also using Garmin Express) on my iMac, I get Kilkeel Cycling.

I'm struggling to understand how the OS is responsible but that's what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It plays havoc with my OCD.

I moved to Kilkeel.

crosstownk wrote: »
    I'm starting to see a pattern emerge (which may be pure coincidence) but when I upload the spin from my Edge 200 via Garmin Express on the work laptop running Windows, the location is accurate. When I upload a spin at home (also using Garmin Express) on my iMac, I get Kilkeel Cycling.

When I uploaded my spin home from work today, I got 'Swords Cycling' for the first time which is correct so it looks like this is being resolved........slowly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

I normally get Aberdaron in Wales as a start point. I'm down near Arklow so it's probably the closest point in the Uk to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Is it possible to send a Workout from Garmin Connect on an Android Phone to an Edge 810?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

if you go you your profile in Garmin Connect, and choose 'settings' and then 'display preferences' you can select the Activity Names dropdown...
    - Untitled
    - Location and Type

...so if you choose the 'untitled' option, then every spin will be named the way we used to have it originally before they introduced the whole location-based naming feature.
    Only found it by chance myself - just thought I'd share it ;)

So every spin will just be "Untitled" though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

mathie wrote: »
    Is it possible to send a Workout from Garmin Connect on an Android Phone to an Edge 810?
    Thanks
    I'm not familiar with the 810, but this is what I do with my 310XT watch (if I'm allowed to have one on 410!) and my Nexus 5 phone...
    • I have an app called Ant2Net (available free, but I have the paid for version).
    • An OTG cable with my garmin Ant+ stick, which lets you plug in USB devices into the micro usb socket.
    • When you start off, the Ant2Net will tell you what other Ant+ apps you need to download (can't remember the sequence, whether it's with your Ant+ stick plugged in or before).
    • That'll let you download - first time takes ages as it downloads the complete history from the device.

I find it works well for me. You can set it up to sync with Connect, Strava, get data emailed to you (that's the options I use). I think it'll send it to other software like Training Peaks, but I don't have them.

The OTG cable was a couple of euro on ebay iirc. The paid version of Ant2Net wasn't much. I had read that if you upgrade later, you have to go through the initial download from scratch, so I just bit the bullet.

It doesn't even try to place my activities though - as seems to be the case, that must be part of the Garmin Connect sync. I find it far handier than computer upload, but then I have ancient PC's at home!

Advertisement