Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Dog!

• 21-12-2014 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I've never seen such a cold dog in all my life. She's a small terrier and is forever shivering. My question is, she sits so close to the stove that it seems way too close almost dangerous, surely it can't be good to be so close to that heat?

Also during the day I make her a hot water bottle and wrap it in a blanket and she lies on that till I light the fire. Then for the night she sleeps in the bed under the blankets and doesn't move all night.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Is she actually cold, as in shivering, of does she just love heat? Rani, for example, likes to lie against the radiator but she isn't actually cold. If your dog is shivering and really can't get warm a trip to the vet might be in order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Doesn't sound good. A dog who's indoors all the time shouldn't be that cold. A trip to the vet and maybe a doggie coat in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I've never seen such a cold dog in all my life. She's a small terrier and is forever shivering. My question is, she sits so close to the stove that it seems way too close almost dangerous, surely it can't be good to be so close to that heat?

Also during the day I make her a hot water bottle and wrap it in a blanket and she lies on that till I light the fire. Then for the night she sleeps in the bed under the blankets and doesn't move all night.

My eldest terrier would be like this... even during the summer she will shiver if it gets a bit chilly, she generally goes around during the winter with a burnt tip on her tail where she has been sitting to close to the fire and swung her tail over the coals. It does seem to be a breed trait, most terriers I know spend most of the winter in at least one coat and as close to a heat source as they can get. My girls favourite spots in the world are (in no particular order)
    * behind my knees under the quilt
    * in her "terrier tunnel"
    * on her fleecey raised bed right beside the fire
    * on my lap under a fleecy blanket
    * lying in the sun
    she does not cope well in the cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Nor does mine. He doesn't do cold, and he doesn't do wet! On cold mornings, His Highness will lay on the bed theatrically shivering (and watching me out of the corner of his eye to make sure I see him) until I go downstairs to put the heating on. Once it's warm enough, he'll venture downstairs to wait for the postie!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

more exercise,if she is near the fire all the time,she will find it hard to get warm away from the fire

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

braddun wrote: »
    more exercise,if she is near the fire all the time,she will find it hard to get warm away from the fire

I don't think that makes any difference, my girl is walked for 45 minutes every morning and evening and is a very very successful agility competitor she is pure muscle, but she just loves her comfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

All my terriers shiver when they get excited. 2 out of the 3 have the typical Border Terrier wire top coat with thick undercoat. They don't notice the cold and water runs off them.

Are you definitely sure it is from the cold?

Advertisement