Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh Carp - is there a Christmas demand

Options
  • 21-12-2014 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

Very surprised to see fresh Carp for sale in the English Market in Cork yesterday.

I know it's eaten in some European destinations and wondered if it's a Christmas delicacy for some, hence the display yesterday ? But couldn't find anything online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

I'm pretty sure its the go to christmas food in eastern europe (open to correction though). Carp would take the place of our turkey and ham/goose

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

chocksaway wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure its the go to christmas food in eastern europe (open to correction though). Carp would take the place of our turkey and ham/goose
    Yes, except the main Christmas meal in many European countries is eaten on Christmas Eve rather than Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Carp is very popular in Poland and Austria for Christmas. Here, it is very popular among the Polish population. In one of the Polish shops here in Dublin, you have to put your name down to order one and put a deposit down as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Poles have it Xmas eve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Parchment wrote: »
    Poles have it Xmas eve.

Yes and I think their Xmas Eve is bigger than their Xmas Day.

Advertisement