Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi

Options
  • 21-12-2014 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

I was banned from Bargain Alerts for attempting 'personal gain'.

The background to this is all week argos have be running Jean Paul Gautier aftershave at around €19. I was unable to get a reservation code via argos site due to the popularity of the offer,mainly from on here I presume.

Basically if you look at the thread there is fellas in Kerry and other far flung places reserving codes for Dublin shops etc and attempting to trade with other boardsies around the country, they have no intention of ever using the codes but are attempting to barter for places close to them. Its ridiculous.

I asked on a few occasions in the thread and couldn't get a code.

I put up a pisstake post of like something you'd see around All Ireland ticket time;

Originally Posted by keano25 View Post
    I've got 5 codes for Letterkenny(no intention of ever picking them up) will trade for a Killarney or Tralee code, or sell each code for €10 or all 5 for €40.

All jokes aside, it's harder to get a JPG reservation code then an All Ireland ticket.

I presumed most would see it was obviously be a joke.

I've had a PM with Davy, the lad that banned me. He sent me here.

Dear keano25,

You have been banned from Bargain Alerts for one week for a breach of the forum charter.

Every forum on Boards.ie has a charter which lists any specific rules that forum may have and it is really important that you read this as it'll help you familiarise yourself with how that forum works. You should also understand that every forum is different and that charters are how you learn the differences.

Please see the Boards.ie FAQ for more details.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

Davy

Moderator Note

All jokes aside this forum is not for personal gain, it is also not for personal sales of any kind. Another mention or hinting of selling codes will be permanent ban to any posters involved

Your post:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by keano25 View Post
    I've got 5 codes for Letterkenny(no intention of ever picking them up) will trade for a Killarney or Tralee code, or sell each code for €10 or all 5 for €40.

All jokes aside, it's harder to get a JPG reservation code then an All Ireland ticket.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by keano25
    Hey, I said all jokes aside in my post as I was taking the piss, as if the codes are all ireland tickets there so hard to come by.

Did you not see my next reply I said ah come on as in he hardly believed it and also said I don't even have letterkenny codes. The joke was letterkenny and Killarney are at complete opposite ends of the country.

I'd never sell codes end off.
    Hi,

Maybe you were joking but it is a very serious thing to be joking about in this forum. People have done things like this before, letting people know they have them to sell but pretend to be joking to get away from a ban.

The post was reported by a lot of people so many obviously think you were joking about it.

I don't have much more to say about it. The links are there to appeal the ban if you so wish.

Regards

I don't think I'll bother appealing. It was a pure pisstake. I was getting frustrated just trying to get a code.

Thanks anyway

Happy Christmas.

I've changed my mind and wish to appeal now.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hi,

As the mod that banned you(Davy) is one of the Biz CMods, I will be reviewing your ban.

I do recollect seeing many reported posts come through as a result of your post. I'll take a look at the thread in question and will come back shortly.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

dudara wrote: »
    Hi,

As the mod that banned you(Davy) is one of the Biz CMods, I will be reviewing your ban.

I do recollect seeing many reported posts come through as a result of your post. I'll take a look at the thread in question and will come back shortly.

dudara

No problem thanks.

Hi keano25,

I've looked at the posts in question, the reported posts and I have discussed with Davy.

What do I think? If you were joking, as you claim, I found it hard to interpret it that way. It was way too oblique. In fact, there were several reported posts, so other posters clearly didn't see the humour in there either.

The Bargain Alerts forum works because posters are willing to share information and tips with each other. It is closely moderated as a result. Personal gain is something that has been against the Boards ethos for a long time and your post went against that, even if it was in jest. It was poorly judged, especially given the length of the thread and level of interest in it.

In this case, I support the ban of one week. I hope I have explained why, but if you wish to appeal this further, we can ask an Admin to review.

dudara

Look ye guys are the bosses around here and I can't argue with ye, what's the point?

I genuinely was taking the piss.

You make a point of people reporting the post, I also noted that a member on here commented under my post saying that he noticed I was taking the piss.

But in light of this pisstake perhaps a rule against people offering codes should also be introduced? This would crack down on boardsies block booking items on argos they have no intention of buying.

Maybe then I would of been able to acquire a code via the argos website as intended by argos.

Thank you and have a happy christmas

Hi keano25,

I acknowledge your feedback, but this is not the forum for that discussion. You could create a thread for it in Feedback and we can see what comes about.

If you are OK with the result, we can mark this thread as resolved. Please let me know.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Hi keano25,

I acknowledge your feedback, but this is not the forum for that discussion. You could create a thread for it in Feedback and we can see what comes about.

If you are OK with the result, we can mark this thread as resolved. Please let me know.

Mark away my friend.

Thank you and a Happy and Peaceful Christmas to you too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement