Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT sales rep

• 21-12-2014 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am in sales for years, and love IT but have no experience in IT sales, looking to do a course that would give me knowledge to help me gain entry to this market, employers would not consider me right now as me experience does not match, I can use IT, but do not understand behind the scenes, thinking maybe cloud sales, but not sure, all views I would be thankful for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

bump

bump bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Probably better asked in Jobs forum... looking at the threads most are about Cloud storage :/

I'd be interested in the replies you get - i recon most IT sales people have started from the bottom and worked their way up a long path to solutions selling.
    edit: snip. please dont post images that large. thanks.

yankinlk wrote: »
    Probably better asked in Jobs forum... looking at the threads most are about Cloud storage :/

I'd be interested in the replies you get - i recon most IT sales people have started from the bottom and worked their way up a long path to solutions selling.
    Thanks

edit: removed quoted oversized image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

How did you get on with this leinsterdude?

fwiw, you don't need a deep understanding of all technical aspects to be a good IT sales rep. It's not about the technology, it about what the customer needs and how the technology can deliver the solutions for the customers business.

I think you might be better off trying to help some friends (possibly for free) with their businesses, identify with them some business process that might be solved with better IT, set a budget, and then engage with some IT solutions firms to deliver that project. You'll learn on the way, and it would be a lot more enjoyable/productive than a course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement