Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

large indoor plant

• 21-12-2014 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Down through the years I have various indoor plants for sitting room ... all eventually died. I just want to have a good sized plant for a corner I have. Any recommendations?
    Adjacent to a radiator room wouldnt be overly warm ...the corner I want to fill in would be away from windows

Thks

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

Down through the years I have various indoor plants for sitting room ... all eventually died. I just want to have a good sized plant for a corner I have. Any recommendations?
    Adjacent to a radiator room wouldnt be overly warm ...the corner I want to fill in would be away from windows

Thks

I have a 7 foot tall Scindapsus growing in a similar corner to what you describe,it is thriving, and has grown lovely new glossy green and yellow foliage.A decent watering now and again does no harm at all,but let the soil dry out in between waterings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

I have a 7 foot tall Scindapsus growing in a similar corner to what you describe,it is thriving, and has grown lovely new glossy green and yellow foliage.A decent watering now and again does no harm at all,but let the soil dry out in between waterings.

Exactly what I'm looking for me thinks where would I get one at a decent height ta

You will get one of about 4 feet tall in the likes of a good garden centre or Homebase,Woodies,BnQ and Ikea.They put on good growth and you will need to add another pole and buy more climbing pins for it to climb up and to give an impressive feature.When you have it at your desired height,just trip back any excess top growth and it will send up new growth from the base.You will end up with a lovey full evergreen indoor plant.A tip here is to turn the plant half way round every 2-3 weeks so that the growth and leaves in the back of the corner gets lights and continues to grow.You want an evenly growing plant on all sides.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

rubber plant

is it a south facing room

Exactly what I'm looking for me thinks where would I get one at a decent height ta

• Advertisement

see post 4 above for details.

got a large 5 foot kentia palm b&q loved the look if it. I bought a pot twice the size of the plant pot came in. filled In with fertilizer recommended. I put a bit of water into it today. .. wondering tbe plant pot has no holes to let out water ...will this not rot the plant roots.
    I bought a sprayer too - should I spray leaves often. ... any general advice re indoor plants appreciated

got a large 5 foot kentia palm b&q loved the look if it. I bought a pot twice the size of the plant pot came in. filled In with fertilizer recommended. I put a bit of water into it today. .. wondering tbe plant pot has no holes to let out water ...will this not rot the plant roots.
    I bought a sprayer too - should I spray leaves often. ... any general advice re indoor plants appreciated

You will rot the plant,so you need to put some holes into the base of the pot.I would also suggest you get a plant pot tray or dish to catch the water as it slowly seeps out.Kentia Palms can be tricky to keep and to grow.
    If you google for how to take care of your Kentia Palm and also do a search of this forum too,theres some threads on Kentia Palms and other indoor plants.Just type Kentia Palm into the search this forum funtion and up pops a whole heap of threads.

www .boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=1059&query=kentia+palm

www .boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79435352

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Rather than put holes in the pot, remove it into a large plastic pot that will just fit inside the pot you have. That will stop water going everywhere when you water it.

looksee wrote: »
    Rather than put holes in the pot, remove it into a large plastic pot that will just fit inside the pot you have. That will stop water going everywhere when you water it.

That's a fantastic idea- I put the holes in last week so its too late. That would have looked a lot neater.
    I didn't really wet roots that much just a bit.
    I put a small bit of tomato concentrate feed into a sprayer I bought with plant.
    I intend to spray leaves every few weeks as I understand plant feeds that way.

• Advertisement

That's a fantastic idea- I put the holes in last week so its too late. That would have looked a lot neater.
    I didn't really wet roots that much just a bit.
    I put a small bit of tomato concentrate feed into a sprayer I bought with plant.
    I intend to spray leaves every few weeks as I understand plant feeds that way.

You can search this gardening forum for how to look after your Kentia Palms.The water that drains out into the drip trays will actually evaporate with the heat of the house and room the plants are in.The Kentia Palms will absorb this moisture as it rises,and the roots will also suck the water back up as they need it.So its a win win situation allround.You can also use some 10-20mm stone in the base of the pots to aid with drainage and also install capillary matting to aid with this watering process.The plant roots will draw the water from the capillary matting when they need it,thats what the capillary matting is there for.

www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=1059&query=kentia+palm

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79435352

Advertisement