Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best eats in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Id say The Bison Bar. The standard imo is far far superior to Pitt Bros. The difference in their respective briskets was insane.

Ate in Pitt Bros last week and their side of burned end bits and beans was very so poor. Wont be heading back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I wasn't mad about the chicken. That the one in breadcrumb? Did really like the carbonate though, forgot about that.

In there at least once a week, most weeks we get a steak burger. Can't believe they've gotten rid of the sweet potato wedges!

Yeh the buttermilk fried chicken I LOVE it! They changed the carbonara from chicken & bacon to just bacon it just wasn't the same still lovely though but now I just stick to fried chicken & calamari with a pint of gentlemens wit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

jimmii wrote: »
    Yeh the buttermilk fried chicken I LOVE it! They changed the carbonara from chicken & bacon to just bacon it just wasn't the same still lovely though but now I just stick to fried chicken & calamari with a pint of gentlemens wit.

:eek: they took away the chicken? But I only had it a few weeks ago and it still had it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

+1 for Bison, slow cook all their meat overnight, and once it's gone, it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

My Meat Wagon is the dog's and only a tenner for lunch.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There are 3 main spots - Bison BBQ, My Meat Wagon & Pitt Bros (in order of my preference), although I have seen a new spot, Smokin Bones, on Dame Street. Pitt Bros is probably a good one to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Hootanany wrote: »
    My Meat Wagon is the dog's and only a tenner for lunch.;)

yeah i think the 3 BBQ places ive been to in town go in this order:

1. My Meath Wagon (try the chorizo bbq sausage as a side)
    2. Bison bar
    3. Pitt Bros

Also, tried that smokin bones at the BBQ festival in herbert park earlier in the year, they were really nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Lunch at Patrick Guilbaud. €50 per head (mon- sat). You can get out of there for €140 for two people with a glass of wine each. Its outrageously good value for 3 courses, amuse bouche, tea/coffee and petit fours.

People always think its too expensive but lunch is great value (all things considered).

Its a lunchtime alternative to going to say a Dax, Pichet etc at night. Same price but whole different ballgame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

any thoughts on sushi and japanese in general in the city? best i have had in dublin so far is yamamori sushi in d1 i’d say...some interesting burger and steak places mentioned in this thread that i’ll have to check out...

In town Musashi is probably the best value. michie sushi in ranelagh is still (since 2006!) the best sushi in dublin imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

In town Musashi is probably the best value. michie sushi in ranelagh is still (since 2006!) the best sushi in dublin imho

michie sushi rings a bell, think i have been there, about time i check them out again…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Zakuri on Wexford Street or Mussahi on Capel St.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Have yet to try Bunsen despite hearing so many great things about it. Sat evening I hope to get in and give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

chris85 wrote: »
    Have yet to try Bunsen despite hearing so many great things about it. Sat evening I hope to get in and give it a try.

Don't get your hopes up too high.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Don't get your hopes up too high.

harsh!

to be fair, the burgers are fantastic, the chips (some of the very best around- i prefer the handcut fries) and the milkshakes are brilliant.

Ive been there a few times and the mistakes people make are they order sweet potato fries (listen, its a burger joint, forget about your carb intake for just 45 minutes), they want plain burgers (as in they dont like tomato or try to have something different).

I think its the best burger place in Dublin and probably by some distance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I actually prefer sweet potato fries to normal ones, there's a lot more flavour to them.

I'm moving to Toronto on Tuesday so finally got around to trying out Bison Bar the other day when I was picking up some woolly socks, thermal vests and such, and meeting a few friends who won't be around on the weekend. Absolutely gorgeous, great value too - up to 5pm on weekdays you can get sandwiches (really burgers by shape) with a good sized side for €8, got the beef brisket one which was easily the best I've ever had in Dublin. Dead friendly staff too and because it's a whiskey bar and is laid out more like a pub, it's a great spot to go for food and stick around for drinks for a good while. Just disappointed I didn't get around to it earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Brother Hubbards Moroccan Special Breakfast.

One of the best breakfasts in Ireland, let alone Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

Sushi - Musashi
    Burger joint - Bobos
    Good value grub - The Green Hen - 20 euro for 3 course lunch/early bird. Food is always great and it's a gorgeous setting

Corfu for greek food. They also do a good 3 course menu for under 20
    Queen of Tarts for tea and cake :D
    Brunch - The Winding Stair
    Pizza/Italian - Paulies pizza

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭Dr. Lollington

Pho - Pho Viet on parnell street
    Chicken wings - Elephant & castle
    Traditional 'irish' food - The Boxty House in Temple Bar
    brunch - The Green hen, gorgeous eggs benny!

I'm starving ;(

Izakaya Bar on Georges St does amazingly nice duck pancakes.

Think they're called Slow Cooked Duck Pancakes on the menu. Cool bar as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

7 Wonders for Salads all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

In Bison what should you get a plate with 2 sides or a sandwich and which is nicer the brisket or the pulled pork? Cheers just wondering is there bread or something with the plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭maccydoodies

I've ate in about 70% of the places mentioned on this thread and my worst was bison BBQ and my best was brother Hubbard .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Pho - Pho Viet on parnell street
    Where abouts is this? Is the food good besides the pho?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

yellow hen wrote: »

If you are standing at the Parnell Monument looking up the hill of Parnell Square, it's about 6 doors down on the left hand side of the street to your right (Parnell Street).

If you like Pho - Saigon City under the bridge on Amiens Street is good too.

Warper wrote: »
    In Bison what should you get a plate with 2 sides or a sandwich and which is nicer the brisket or the pulled pork? Cheers just wondering is there bread or something with the plate?

The brisket I had in Pitt Bros wasn't brisket as I know it. It resembled slow cooked beef whereas Bison's was lovely. Haven't had their pulled pork as yet...

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭Dr. Lollington

yellow hen wrote: »

Yeah the pancake you get for starter is lecker and all the food there is pretty dope. It's not fine dining but grate value and you can BYO lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Great input folks. I'm going to try test at least two of these places a week now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Warper wrote: »

Sandwich if you're having lunch, the plate always leaves me incredibly stuffed and if i eat it to early I'm useless for about an hour afterwards.

As for brisket or pulled pork, you'll just have to go twice.

Anyone tried smokin' bones yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

I went to smokin bones last night. Very disappointed.

I'm a big fan of bison, and pitt bros lesser so.

I got a tasting platter.
    The brisket was just dry roast beef smothered in bbq sauce.
    The wings had no sauce on them, and they have a variety of flavours, I wasn't asked which one I wanted so maybe it was my fault for not speaking up.
    The ribs were just overpowered with bbq sauce, I couldn't finished them.
    The burnt end beans were nice and the pork sliders were very good.
    The chips seemed like frozen chips and the onion rings were soggy.
    The place was practically empty so it's not as if they didn't have time to put some love into it.

I noticed there was no smell of smoke or anything in the restaurant like you get in the other places.
    Also, we could see the hellmans bbq sauce bottles in the fridge - I do hope they were just to fill the bottles on the table and not for all the meats.

I think they just jumped on the bbq wagon as they saw how well the other two places were doing and to be honest, it kind of put me off bbq joints now. I can still taste the bbq sauce in my mouth.

They did have a mustard bottle on the table - thats stuff was the best thing I tasted in there whatever it was!!

You'd seriously want to like bbq sauce to enjoy the place.

Advertisement