Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

UK Sim free iphone

• 21-12-2014 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Sorry guys, maybe been asked a million times but..... Looking to buy an Argos Refurbished sim free iphone5 16gb. Out of stock in all my local ROI stores, available in Strabane and Derry. Any issuses with using with ROI networks if it's sim free? Ta.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sorry guys, maybe been asked a million times but..... Looking to buy an Argos Refurbished sim free iphone5 16gb. Out of stock in all my local ROI stores, available in Strabane and Derry. Any issuses with using with ROI networks if it's sim free? Ta.

Nope. It will work perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭zeromedic

Will work just fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

it might have orange screen that says

LOVE ULSTER

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭supersonic64

The guy doing the checkout in Strabane told my wife that the info that they have is that the phone will lock to the network of the first sim inserted. I assume this is an apple thing??? rather than a uk bought thing???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

The guy doing the checkout in Strabane told my wife that the info that they have is that the phone will lock to the network of the first sim inserted. I assume this is an apple thing??? rather than a uk bought thing???

Same as iPhones bought from Carphone Warehouse. Doesn't apply to handsets purchased directly from Apple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

Does it actually lock to one network. I'm in the middle of choosing between iPhone 5 refurbished 16 gb in argos for 375 or 5c 8gb in Apple Store for 399. Any advice ?

Does it actually lock to one network. I'm in the middle of choosing between iPhone 5 refurbished 16 gb in argos for 375 or 5c 8gb in Apple Store for 399. Any advice ?

It does lock. Ones from Apple will not. I would go for the 5 over 5C unless being unlocked is a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

What if I want to change providers in a few months. And why does it lock on the first one ?

Because they are not unlocked handsets - they are sim free. It's a different thing. iPhones come in unlocked, locked, and Retail sim free. Most retailers sell sim free models and true unlocked ones come from Apple. Are you PAYG or bill pay? I'm Vodafone bill pay and can unlock up to 3 phones a year from the voda network. Enquire with your network about getting a handset unlocked if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

Well I have seen it happen, probably not 100% but the devices can lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭zeromedic

Never heard of this happening. A phone purchased from a network is subsidised therefore locked to them until you pay that money back plus+++++++ I don't under why one bought in Argos would lock to a network?!

I don't know why either, but they can. I worked for AppleCare and saw it happen countless times. They are not unlocked.

Some info here: http://kenstechtips.com/index.php/apple-iphone-when-sim-free-doesnt-mean-unlocked

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If they are not unlocked you are screwed if you put a Three or eMobile sim in first, because they won't unlock it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭supersonic64

Sorry guys, been outa action for a few days. Got the 32gb version in the end but i can't give an answer on the locking to first network. I thought the 5 would take the same sim as the 4 but one is micro and the other is nano. Son has ordered the nano from 48, his current network so he should get it on Monday.

Advertisement