Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So I have lost all interest in Pro Wrestling

• 21-12-2014 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭

As the title says I have lost all interest in pro wrestling, it's mean over a year since I last tuned into Raw or Smackdown it just doesn't do interest me any longer.

Why you may ask ?
    Is it because I am into my late thirties now ? maybe but I don't think so, I have been watching wrestling since the days of Challenge and Main Event, I loved the Monday Night Wars and attitude era , when WCW folded I really got into TNA brand and guys like Punk, Danielson, Jericho kept my interest alive in WWE, Even Nexus was fantastic but of late nothing

Why I no longer tune in
    1) John F'n Cena, yes he is my generations Hulk Hogan who I loved as a kid but at least Hogan repackaged himself at some stage, but not Cena its still his boring 3 or 4 moves same promo crap basically everything about him I hate

2) No competition anymore , in the days when I was losing interest in WWE at least I used to have WCW, ECW or even TNA but now I don't even know if TNA is still in business , last time I viewed TNA it looked cheap with no atmosphere with guys phoning in performances.

3) PG era , this is a big no no it is not like I want CZW style but this PG stuff is ****e

4) UFC, I really got into UFC about 4 or 5 years ago it has everything I love about wrestling it has storyline, promos, big shows but it has the added edge that you really don't know who will win a match up

5) Predictable, this is my final point it seems all match up's now just about anyone could call, if a PPV has 10 match up's then most people can already tell who will win in at least 8 of them

Now this is now a pro wrestling bashing thread as believe me folks I loved it I mean I was really into it so my question to ye good folk is their any reason why I should give it another chance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

So have you lost interest in pro wrestling or wwe? Wwe aren't the be all and end all. Plenty of viable options for wrestling fans who are jaded with wwe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭campo

Andy_rse wrote: »
    So have you lost interest in pro wrestling or wwe? Wwe aren't the be all and end all. Plenty of viable options for wrestling fans who are jaded with wwe.

See that's it I don't think their is any other viable option, TNA is rubbish I am not in the Japannese stuff and Indy stuff unless you want to trawl the net is hard to come by

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

WWE will get "magically" good in 3 weeks or so.

Also the holy trinity of New Japan, PWG and NXT gives me life.

rovert wrote: »
    WWE will get "magically" good in 3 weeks or so.

Also the holy trinity of New Japan, PWG and NXT gives me life.

Rovert you were Mr.TNA for a while what happened to them are they still even about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Echo what rovert says, save for Japan if you aren't into that.

Watch NXT R Evoulution and see what that does for you. Maybe one or two shows before it to get the background of what's going on though they do a good job of that during the show.

• Advertisement

campo wrote: »
    Rovert you were Mr.TNA for a while what happened to them are they still even about ?

Me Mr. TNA? The legal writ will be in the post tomorrow. :P

Hoping TNA pulls some rabbits out of the hat when they relaunch next month. But I don't know who and what they can afford at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I think it's a pretty good time to be a wrestling fan. Between PWG, TNA, NXT, WWE, ROH, WWN Live, Lucha Underground, New Japan and more there's something out there for everybody. Plus with NJPW World and the WWE Network there's more easily accessible content out there than you could ever know what to do with.

I think it's a pretty good time to be a wrestling fan. Between PWG, TNA, NXT, WWE, ROH, WWN Live, Lucha Underground, New Japan and more there's something out there for everybody. Plus with NJPW World and the WWE Network there's more easily accessible content out there than you could ever know what to do with.

Compared to 2004 it is a pretty rarefied time for sure.

WWE these days is quite spurious and sanitised. I understand the frustration with them completely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Genuinely more interested in NXT and the shows WWE make for or old ones now on the network than what they have on tv now.

As Rovert says think will pick up after xmas.

Over the year things were not that bad, the rise of Rollins, Ambrose and (yes i mean this) Reigns. Survivor Series gave a real pay off.

Stuff like Cena being the one who can bring back the authority, having a team named team Cena, Cena getting a title shot and a match with Rollins after losing to Ambrose, repeated ****ty dq endings, build up then kill off or forget a wrestler makes me see why threads like this exist.

I know New Japan and a few other promotions will be mentioned but WWE is not like them and to many when they think of wrestling they think of WWE's style. Right now if your not into what WWE are booking its unlikely anyone else will hold much interest to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Creatively WWE can be infuriating.

However the match quality and talent pool is far superior then it's been in many years imo.

And 2014 has given us great moments. Daniel Bryan finally getting his big moment. Something every true PW fan loved. The streak ending.

We had a good WM, Summerslam and Survivor Series. The rise of NXT is something that gives me hope for the future of WWE.

Op, check out the most recent nxt special. You won't regret it.

• Advertisement

WWE is in the unusual position of being loaded to brim with talent but having less stars than they've had in recent memory. Years and years of terrible booking, cutting the legs out from under young guys, insisting certain guys don't fit their mold and over reliance on part time names from the past (without using them to elevate todays generation) have their effects.

It's incredibly easy to become extremely frustrated with modern WWE, but for me that's even more incentive to look further afield to find good stuff. Pro Wrestling is awesome, don't let WWE ruin that for you. I always find just going back and watching some of my favourite matches and branching out from there helps me when I become down on wrestling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I was thinking of trying to get into NXT now myself to keep my interest in PW, WWE is so seasonal it just leaves you frustrated for half of the year

Things seemed REALLY optimistic Wrestlemania and the Raw after it. But they made several mistakes with Cesaro and they got unlucky with Daniel Bryan getting hurt. The Rollins-Ambrose fell well below my expectations. Was expecting a brother vs brother type feud that would pull at fan's emotions with all these impactful interviews and promos about their closeness and subsequent betrayal. Insteand we got a by the numbers WWE feud. On more minor note who knew a Paige-AJ Lee would be as tortuous as it was. Stardust were such a lively act in the Autumn of 2013 not they are really blah. Despite his faults poor old Dolph Zigger seems to break through every 2nd or 3rd month but is never admitted into the main scene proper.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Paige and Aj is a good example of how annoying they are. The talents/abilities they have were Ignored and it just became another stupid Divas storyline.

Cesaro is another great example, he is getting popular but he should be heel (he is foreign for goodness sake), strip all the things people like away, stick him with Heyman for no real reason, take Heyman away for no real reason and so on. His team with Kidd probably won't last long as it actually looks like they could be really good as a combo.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Paige and Aj is a good example of how annoying they are. The talents/abilities they have were Ignored and it just became another stupid Divas storyline.

Cesaro is another great example, he is getting popular but he should be heel (he is foreign for goodness sake), strip all the things people like away, stick him with Heyman for no real reason, take Heyman away for no real reason and so on. His team with Kidd probably won't last long as it actually looks like they could be really good as a combo.

Sasha Banks wrestled on a WWE Live Event last night. Tagged with the eminently talented Cameron to face Emma and Naomi. Cameron worked pretty much the entire match. I think Sasha is the BEST but sadly there's defined mechanistic structure that awaits her.

I will say this isn't an absolute indication of where Banks will be slotted AND I heard from a very, very reliable source that Sasha hurt her back very badly on the dive she did on Charlotte at R Evolution so maybe her having a limited role in the match was by design. However it is an illustration that largely you have to change to fit into the WWE way of doing things rather than things changing for you. In even realising that the idea that Banks will be JUST bitchy heel #5 makes me sad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Campo your absence has been noted on PW boards and I hope you and your brand return to the draft (which in itself can reignite peoples interest) but with regards your current feelings towards Wrestling I'd say you obviously want to get back into it otherwise this thread wouldn't have been made so...

Watch NXT

If you haven't been doing so recently I guess go back to devitts / Baylor's debut and watch from there

Watch Wreslekingdom

JR is calling it thanks to jarrets group this year so that help you if you don't usually watch the Japanese stuff.

The road to wrestlemania starts in a few weeks and they usually up there game for at least a short while then so you will maybe be able to use that time to get intothe jaJapanese stuff / NXT more and ween yourself off just RAW as that can beterrible at times esp at 3hrs. Get into the other stuff then the highlights or PPVs can perhaps be enough from the main WWE roster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Sounds a lot like myself campo - you're burnt out on current WWE but still love wrestling. Indie shows have disgraceful production values leagues below WWE and focus on no-selling/flippy sh*t, no TV deal and best of luck continuing to care about a Japanese show with Japanese promos and Japanese announcers. You'll have to resort to piracy if u wanna watch Lucha Underground, which is only a few weeks old. NXT is the only option with a weekly wrestling show in English that is on TV over here. It might get overblown as they tape weeks in advance and half the roster show up each week (so sometimes it's filler, it's still a training ground after all) but their roster is STACKED, simple, effective storylines, with a hot crowd, in general I think it's the most viable 2014 option for you.

Otherwise I'd urge you to do what I do - keep abreast of current wrestling via sites/dirtsheets/podcasts and with the WWE network, watch old PPVs. Yesterday I watched No Way Out 2000 and also some Money In the bank 2011. Great stuff.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Sounds a lot like myself campo - you're burnt out on current WWE but still love wrestling. Indie shows have disgraceful production values leagues below WWE and focus on no-selling/flippy sh*t, no TV deal and best of luck continuing to care about a Japanese show with Japanese promos and Japanese announcers.

I didn't know selling in WWE was at such a high standard, Jay. Don't remember the last time I saw a match where they worked a limb and it played into the finish. WWE has eliminated that aspect of their presentation for you hit me with your then I'll stand up and hit you with mine. Been that way for years.

The disgraceful production values thing is something I don't buy unless you are excessively anal. Production equipment has gotten cheaper and most promotions shoot in HD.

I am aghast at the Japanese comments. It sounds like you've never watched it. It is the easiest thing to watch and I never feel lost. Like ever. It is an in ring based product with huge and obvious body language. They aren't cutting 25 minute show open promos.

Japanese wrestling is easier and more logical to follow than North American wrestling, even without speaking the language.

Seems like NXT is the place for me as the only wrestling fix I get nowadays is watching Wrestling docs ( watched the Nigel McGuninnes one recently, and it made me really sad for him after all the years wrestling he couldn't even afford his plane ticket home)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Nxt is great! Go back a few weeks tho maybe 5/6 weeks too get upto speed before watching the revolution special

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

For me I started to lose interest once Punk left and Daniel Bryan got his serious neck injury , known we didn't get the Brock Lesnar match which would have been a classic match. It's great to see Rollins get a push and NXT with all the amazing talent down there (Devitt will be a main eventer, he just has it) along with Neville, Zayn and Owens plus Kenta. The main roster will have classic matches coming out of the ying yang for years to come. Known WWE they will misuse those guys and push the muscled up bodybuilders instead.

Just the same old crap with Orton and Cena (both who I like) but how many more times do we need to see those guys in the title picture. For me Cena is above it now. Plus the fact seen a guy clearly not ready yet been pushed to the main event (Reigns) is going to be tough. Plus talented guys been misused like Cesaro Ambrose and Wyatt. Just doesn't give me much fate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

rovert wrote: »
    Things seemed REALLY optimistic Wrestlemania and the Raw after it. But they made several mistakes with Cesaro and they got unlucky with Daniel Bryan getting hurt. The Rollins-Ambrose fell well below my expectations. Was expecting a brother vs brother type feud that would pull at fan's emotions with all these impactful interviews and promos about their closeness and subsequent betrayal. Insteand we got a by the numbers WWE feud. On more minor note who knew a Paige-AJ Lee would be as tortuous as it was. Stardust were such a lively act in the Autumn of 2013 not they are really blah. Despite his faults poor old Dolph Zigger seems to break through every 2nd or 3rd month but is never admitted into the main scene proper.

Cesaro should have been turned babyface after Wrestlemania and then start to build him from there, give him a run with IC title. Then once they got to Royal Rumble have him pushed to the main event. I don't understand Vince's thinking in Cesaro not having Charisma while he thinks Reigns has it in spades. Plus putting him with Heyman was a huge mistake. Now he's a jobber and I could see him been let go somewhere in the future.

I have been disappointed with WWE in their usage of Ambrose (has he even won a PPV match), a heel turn in the future might bring out the best in him. Rollin's is doing somewhat better but for me he screams babyface all day long.

They should have left the AJ-Paige feud to 2015 probably WM31. let Paige find her feet cause she was a nervous wreck for her first few months. I wasn't that shocked, I think AJ is hugely overrated by wrestling fans for her in ring work.

Ziggler deserves a push to the main event for his in ring work alone but they don't seem to trust him enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Indie shows have disgraceful production values leagues below WWE and focus on no-selling/flippy sh*t

I've seen better selling in certain indie matches then almost everything the WWE has put out this year this match as an example

In fact anything involving Thatcher,Busick or Drew Gulak their matches are all nearly built around selling a body part.

And no offence Jay and I know you're not the only person who does it but you really seem to nip pick things like production and gear like the comment on Steen's from the recent NXT show when to be honest I really can't understand people who let that destroy their enjoyment of a show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭The White Feather

This is an interesting thread as like you my older brothers used to watch WWE all the time and never do now. They don't like the smaller guys such as CM Punk or Bryan being in the main event so they use Vince logic!! They remind me of vince and WWE top brass as they dont give any new guy a chance until they are amazingly over.

I agree with a lot of what Looper and Rovert said.

I think the strands of greatness are actually there. Everything just needs to be tightened up. A lot of misteps and bad luck have contributed to the way things are now.

Daniel Bryan and Roman Reigns getting injured was very unfortunate.

Cesaro was taking off and then they put him with Heyman and he stopped doing the swing. I thought it was going to be him continually trying to do the swing but Heyman says no (as he sees him as a threat to Brock) and Cesaro eventually turns face with the crowd cheering him on.But no, the whole thing fizzles out and Cesaro gets the blame! missed opportunity but Cesaro is so good he should come back.

Ziggler is great but I don't see any gimmick. If you were describing him to someone you would say he takes a load of punishment and does great moves. But what about his personality? I wonder about his instincts as when he won the title he was falling about on the floor 'exhausted' Then Stone Cold said the same on his podcast which was exactly as I thought at the time so I was chuffed! :pac: He needs to stand tall 'breathing heavily' not wrecked lying on the floor.He seems to have zero personality but then its amazing when you hear he does stand up. Until Ziggler gets some sort of hook he will never be in the main event. How would you promote him for a mania main event at the mo? I mean to people who dont know him. Blonde guy who wrestles well? I think this is what Vince thinks anyway.

Ryback speaks like a guy with an Asthma problem but when you hear him on Jerichos podcast (Top of the pageeeeeeee :pac:) he speaks very well.The gimmick is a big guy but he could at least talk properly.

Wyatt is a success story but he needs to go fully face or fully heel.
    Big Show turns heel to face and back again too much that no one cares.Kane is just there every week.

PG isnt a problem at all once you have a bit of an edge for the older viewers.

John Cena should have been turned heel ages ago so now they seem to be thinking well we arent doing it cos you want it.

I do have a theory based on a fact but I don't know if its wishful thinking or not. Remember they said he is the only one that can bring back the Authority so this may be seeds for a heel turn eventually.

He shouldn't be near the title picture as he needs a break from it. If he was ordered by the Authority ages ago that he couldnt go for the title for a few months he could have teamed up with Cesaro and go for the tag team champs. Then giving Cesaro a boost and the tag team division a boost and now bring him back to the singles champs for Mania. This would have at least been an attempt to freshen him up. But no we have him back with Brock yet again

Ambrose has lost all his PPV matches this year (I think) so he looks weak even though his hoodie was the biggest seller at Thanksgiving.

Then he loses to a TV :confused:

Being predictable is OK once we want whats coming! We want Reigns to be a main eventer but I don't think he is ready and the crowd could turn on him. Then they will blame him! No one wants another Cena title reign (excuse the pun) but they would if it was a heel one. He could be a heel to adults but face to kids. They are so far down the road now thats its one way they could go.

Some Divas should be incorporated into some of the mens storylines like Tyson Kidd and Nataylia.This stops the whole bunch of divas in a match every week that is tiresome. Have a few 'on screen' relationships and then you can have a diva run-in or interference ending or a superstar helping his gf win a match. Then the inevitable cheating and break up, other superstar stealing his gf and you have something that everyone likes. A cheater getting his/her comeuppance. Imagine if Cena was doing everything he could to keep Nikki as champion? Kids would still like him but adults would hate him. Maybe a bit exagerrated but it needs stuff like that.

I started watching NXT to prepare for Finn Balors arrival (T-Shirt) (Yet another pun! :D) and now I watch it every week. Its a great show as it goes back to basics.

I saw Adam Rose having great potential but dancing around with guys in costumes wont be fun to the average guy. If they put him with nice looking women,PG dressed but like Lana it would be a winner.Do a few vignettes with him going to Spring break or whatever and every student who drinks would be singing his theme and he would be cool and over.But no we have him in a bus with guys and gals in costumes. Another missed opportunity.

So all WWE needs is a few tweaks here and there and things will take off.Whether they actually come though is another thing. Things like Bryan comes back,Balor debuts on Raw,Cesaro starts the swing again,Cena gets an edge,reigns not rushed too fast,Amrose wins a PPV match,BO Dallas going on another win streak when he comes back, Charlotte winning and not losing in a few secs on Raw (mystifying)...etc

If you love wrestling like I do then you will watch to be there for the great moments such as the Ziggler/Harper match and Finn Balors entrance and Match.If you cannot go through a full RAW or Smackdown then definitely look at NXT. Great matches with everyone striving to be better. I think we are on an upswing in wrestling terms but a few things need to go correctly to make it reallly take off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

DM_7 wrote: »

Its a good point, the WWE ladies for the most part are pretty decent, but I can't remember the last time I gave 2 ****s about a match between them, maybe an AJ Lee v Kaitlyn match from last year? I actually cared about the NXT diva matches as they had good build.

I do believe Sasha, Charlotte are all doomed once they get to the main roster, they don't have a clue how to book Women wrestling which is depressing as they have so many hours to fill.

I am probably the same as many, I have drifted out of Raw and WWE recently, will get back on the horse for the Mania build though. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Natalya vs AJ from Main Event in Feb was very good as was Natalya vs Charlotte from Takeover in May I think it was.

Sami Zayn vs Cesaro from NXT Arrival is a must-watch. Tyson Kidd's little comeback has been fun too. Same goes for seeing Becky Lynch and Finn Bálor get their start in WWE.

WWE has had some good matches this year amongst the rubbish. The Shield vs Wyatts; Daniel Bryan's matches with Bray Wyatt and Triple H; the "Hoss Division" with Sheamus, Cesaro and Barrett; Lesnar battering Cena at SummerSlam.

But yeah I agree overall WWE has been really uninspiring.

It's not that hard to find ROH & New Japan stuff. Here's a link to loads of stuff from the G1 tournament on Daily Motion http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/2d1mb7/get_caught_up_with_njpw_g1_climax_24_all_4_star/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I guess I am a Vince McMahon apologist, really. I can see the faults in WWE and their booking. Hell, I agreed with a lot of the stuff that was being said in the TLC thread, despite defending WWE in it. I always have faith that it will get better though. It ebs and it flows, and that isn't always necessarily at WrestleMania period. It can come at different times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I guess I am a Vince McMahon apologist, really. I can see the faults in WWE and their booking. Hell, I agreed with a lot of the stuff that was being said in the TLC thread, despite defending WWE in it. I always have faith that it will get better though. It ebs and it flows, and that isn't always necessarily at WrestleMania period. It can come at different times.

I'm like this too.we just want things to improve but keep watching even though interest goes up and down also

• Advertisement

Started to give Lucha Underground a watch and it is a really interesting concept, I think Stryker and Vampiro are great on comms and I like the production , it is like half a wrestling show half a TV Show plus the talent ain't bad either.

Only watched 2 episodes so far but I will continue with it to see can they carry on the early form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

+1 to Lucha Underground. Hopefully the viewing figures improve or it could be over before it's begun. Love the concept and the production. Would be great for something like this to take over from TNA entirely.

The sooner Vince McMahon croaks it the better.

Advertisement