Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underdogs of 2014

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sounds like you just don't understand Bayonetta and are playing it totally wrong.

I really don't know how you can say the combat isn't fluid.

Bayonetta and its ilk gives you basic moves and a combo system that is wide open and then let's the player fully experiment with it and go to town seeing how far they can take that combat system and the incredible depths. You don't unlock 'complicated' or more powerful moves, in fact you don't even need them to beat the game. What you are unlocking is another toy to add to the combat system, something you can throw into your combos and experiment more with. You aren't unlocking stronger moves, your unlocking more combat and combo options. Go play with them and see what craziness you the player can come up with.

If you are just going to use the same basic combo over and over again well then you just don't understand how Bayonetta should be played.

Batman in the other hand is mash buttons until you see a prompt and press the corresponding button combination to counter. Rinse, repeat and throw the odd batarang. And that's it for the entire game, all they do is add another enemy that is counter in a slightly different manner but all you are really doing is countering with a different button this time.

I really don't get your last comment either. Mordor and batman have not 'forwarded' the genre at all. They aren't even comparable, batman combat is its own thing compared to the highly technical combat of Bayonetta or metal gear revengeance. As for the genre being stale, well Bayonetta and metal gear revengeance prove totally otherwise and each have innovations that totally reinvent the genre and how they are played. Saying that they rely on control and upgrade systems just shows a complete misunderstanding of those type of games.

• I like the Batman games, but saying the combat is better in them than Bayonetta or DMC is IMO like saying a Big Mac is better than a filet mignon :pac:

If you're spamming buttons and getting hit by 'unavoidable' attacks in Bayonetta, incidentally, you're playing it wrong :)

Batman was inventive and enjoyable but its combat is also rather simplistic. Its a nice feeling when you take out twenty bad guys without getting hit.

But comparing it to bayonetta is a bit mad...
    Quite possibly on of the best action games I have played in years and once you begin to understand its combat system it really gives you a proper rush when your good enough to pull off massive combos against multiple enemies without getting hit....scary to watch some of the guys on YouTube who have mastered this game. Its all pure skill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Too much discussion of Batman when its in no way underrated!
    Perhaps you're looking for the overrated games thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Batman in the other hand is mash buttons until you see a prompt and press the corresponding button combination to counter. Rinse, repeat and throw the odd batarang. And that's it for the entire game.

You are playing it wrong.

Part of me thinks if the same game came from a Japanese indie and it wasn't called batman but "Iron Shin Guy Silver 3: Forthright Gliding" you would love it. :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I didn't see any other complexity to the system than what was there. It's the same rock paper scissors nonsense that ruined the end game of DMC. Use one type of dodge for normal attack, another for weapons, cape for guys with shields. It reminds me a lot of the crappy combat in Sands of Time although it's a hell of a lot less annoying in Batman and it's a lot less strict about it.

So what am I missing which is making me play it wrong since what I was doing wasn't exactly stopping me from racking up massive 'combos' without being hit.

There's plenty of Japanese games I hate as well you know and Western games I love. I do like the Batman games I just think the combat is the weakest part of the game. However something like Mordor which is just Batman combat just doesn't do it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Retr0gamer wrote:
    There's plenty of Japanese games I hate as well you know and Western games I love. I do like the Batman games I just think the combat is the weakest part of the game. However something like Mordor which is just Batman combat just doesn't do it for me.

the combat was a small facet of a really good game. nemesis system was great fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Think i mentioned in the thread on SoM that there was nothing wrong with the game itself as a whole, but the elements it "borrowed" from the others were tired if you had already played all the batman and AC games. It definitely had an impact on my enjoyment of it the whole time |I had a feeling of having done it before .... 10 times :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Jazzpunk - Can't count the amount of times I burst out laughing during this game. Probably the funniest video game I've ever played.

I need to go back and try this game. It never quite grabbed me....but I only played it for an hour or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Underdogs of 2014? Wii U and everything that goes with it.

I got one last week and have fallen back in love with gaming. My PS3 is now the media player. PS4 or Xbone can wait another year or two at least.

Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D World have sucked me right in. HD gorgeousness. Simple, effective, gameplay joy. No broken 1st day patches required either.

This is a console most of my mates big into games still aren't fully sure exists (yes they think it is a Wii with a special joypad, nice one Nintendoh!).

It deserves so much more recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Bayonetta 2. It sold poorly, like every 3rd party Wii U game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Endless Legend ,felt like it came from nowhere and proves to be a far better game than other so called heavy weights in the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Lords Of The Fallen
    Tales Of Hearts R
    SMT: IV
    Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
    Akiba's Trip / Freedom Wars

• Registered Users Posts: 23 makehimanoffer

Hohokum

Towerfall Ascension - A number of seriously smart design choices - the need to constantly collect arrows, the hugely exploitable dodge function - make this one of the most nuanced yet accessible and exciting local multiplayer games I've ever played.

This is truly one of my favourite games. It's truly excellent fun, but I would definitely have liked some online multiplayer. I don't have my friends over often but we play online the whole time.

Came here to say Bayonetta 2 personally. I mean it's got the Highests Metacritic of a game that's not a remaster or so in 2014 but it's sales are just bad.
    It's so pretty too, and the combat is very tight. Please if you have a wii u get it (in Argos as that's where the best price is new besides Amazon).

But overall I think Nintendo had a very strong year with some excellent releases.

Have definitely heard great things about Shadow of Mordor too though

• Shadow warrior - Xbox 1

Didn't play the PC version but was madly overlooked this year when it was released on consoles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Banished. What a game!

Sayonara Umihara Kawase - 3DS

The third game in one of the greatest platformer series finally makes it out of Japan. It gets totally ignored by the mainstream press and initially being released as a full price title on the digital does it no favours either. Graphically it looks awful just as every game in the series has but the game isn't about looks it's about using the games crazy grappling physics to get around stages in silly times and find secret warp stages.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Is Thief on the PS4 underated or deserving of the criticism?
    I see it going for leas than 20 euro now in Bricks and Mortar shops.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is Thief on the PS4 underated or deserving of the criticism?
    I see it going for leas than 20 euro now in Bricks and Mortar shops.

It's a crime against the original series but taken on its own it's merits its ok.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's a crime against the original series but taken on its own it's merits its ok.

So, what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, what is it?

It is as he says. It's a terrible Thief game full stop. But if you never played a Thief game before it's ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Personally I think The Evil Within was a great game. It got mixed reviews, but I was hooked on it till the end (even if the story was a bit meh).

I played the original Thief title and the Xbox game too.
    This looks OK and the price is rock bottom.
    Of course, it'll probably go in my To be played someday shelf, along with Dishonoured and the mountain of other worthy neglected titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    I played the original Thief title and the Xbox game too. This looks OK and the price is rock bottom. Of course, it'll probably go in my To be played someday shelf, along with Dishonoured and the mountain of other worthy neglected titles.

dishonoured is a better thief game than than thief 14

edgecutter wrote: »
    Personally I think The Evil Within was a great game. It got mixed reviews, but I was hooked on it till the end (even if the story was a bit meh).

Could not get into it. When it would starting getting good it would then ruin it all with some crappy boss or a gameplay sequence broken because of the aspect ratio.
    sweetie wrote: »
    dishonoured is a better thief game than than thief 14

What he says. If you've not played Dishonored play that before even going near thief. It's a far, far better game.

Well, picked Thief up for 14.99 in GS brand new.
    It'll go in the to be played pile, along with Metro Redux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Sonic boom

Advertisement