Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban on offering of Argos codes in bargain alerts

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

OK, why don't I have a chat with the BA mods to see what's happening and see if we can figure this out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Maybe allow a seperate thread just for Argos [Codes] and delete it everywhere else on BA.

Then everyone else can avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Lads, I started this thread to try and stop this carry on but it was practically said to me that boards will do noting to stop it or ever will.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Probably just don't care so long as they get the footfall :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

keano25 wrote: »
    Lads, I started this thread to try and stop this carry on but it was practically said to me that boards will do noting to stop it or ever will.

You were looking to stop all Argos code offering. Even if limited to one specific thread. You think its unnatural or something.

Whereas I just don't want it in the bargain threads them selves. I don't want to get spammed by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Dav has said now he will chat with mods, I'm sure he will. I agree with some of your frustration though, and I'd be inclined to give Argos bargain alerts a miss if they get as messy and annoying as the seagate one is. I think people who said there was no issue with codes etc in this thread, might have a different opinion if they trawl through the seagate debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

This post has been deleted.

Not just the seagate drive but the macbook reservations were also a disaster. Pages upon pages of people looking for codes with accompanying sob stories with no likelihood of anyone giving them one as it was basically free money for anyone who could get a macbook. IMO the requests where akin to spam, even when it was confirmed that argos would no longer honour the codes people kept begging for them with unrealistic hopes.

The argos threads are a mess and it's impossible now to get bargains as people keep making reservations with no intention of honouring them. It must be a PITA for argos too.

At the very least the code request thread should be moved to the request sub forum where but this has not been actioned as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Dav has said now he will chat with mods, I'm sure he will. I agree with some of your frustration though, and I'd be inclined to give Argos bargain alerts a miss if they get as messy and annoying as the seagate one is. I think people who said there was no issue with codes etc in this thread, might have a different opinion if they trawl through the seagate debacle.

I think people had issue with the all or nothing suggestions in some of the original posts, also the posting style/background in this from the OP didnt help.

Had change been proposed in a less confrontational way it wouldn't have gotten the backs of people up and would have probably opened some decent dialogue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

While I'm all for people reserving and giving codes to other members that they won't be using, I'd definitely be all for banning people posting to swap codes they have for stores they're nowhere near for other members' codes for stores closer to them. That just means they're reserving them to use like trading cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

zarquon wrote: »
    At the very least the code request thread should be moved to the request sub forum where but this has not been actioned as of yet.
    This would be reasonable, proportionate and completely in line with how BA is supposed to work anyway.

While I'm all for people reserving and giving codes to other members that they won't be using, I'd definitely be all for banning people posting to swap codes they have for stores they're nowhere near for other members' codes for stores closer to them. That just means they're reserving them to use like trading cards.

Just to note while this is intended to be about Argos Codes. A lot bargain alerts contain some form of discount code. So a distinction has to be made between those and argos codes.

Also the original issue was with people sucking all the codes that other people then couldn't get one. That it became a boards only offer, in effect. Thats one thing. But the seagate and the macbook spamming for codes in one thread is a different problem.

TBH this is Argos problem of putting something on sale which has very limited stock. Its like those PC World, Lidl, Aldi threads, where theres about 5 items country wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

zarquon wrote: »
    Not just the seagate drive but the macbook reservations were also a disaster. Pages upon pages of people looking for codes with accompanying sob stories with no likelihood of anyone giving them one as it was basically free money for anyone who could get a macbook. IMO the requests where akin to spam, even when it was confirmed that argos would no longer honour the codes people kept begging for them with unrealistic hopes.

The argos threads are a mess and it's impossible now to get bargains as people keep making reservations with no intention of honouring them. It must be a PITA for argos too.

It's driving me flipping mental! It's really hard to resist back seat modding in these threads.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

This.

If you have a reservation you can't make use of and want to offer it up then that's just a sound thing to do, but holding a reservation to use as a commodity is a real dick move and flies in the face of community spirit, it's worse than the use of referral systems in my book.

The seagate thread is gas..

Quote: Ferball
    I've a code for Cork Queens Old Castle, will swap for Dublin city center or Wexford?

Quote: celtic-chick
    I have an Arklow & Castlebar code if anybody want's it.

I'm still looking for a code for Naas if anybody has one

Quote: Dalmighty
    i have a code for cork retail park and clonmel..who wants ?

Quote: celtic-chick
    I have a code for Drogheda if anybody wants it

Quote: stooge
    have one for kilkenny available. Still holidng out hope that someone has one for athlone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The swapping is ridiculous and unfair and now happening on both threads about these hard drives. Either use your reservation or, if one comes up closer to you then pass the original one on and share the wealth. Reserving in Dublin when you want Cork is a joke!

athtrasna wrote: »
    The swapping is ridiculous and unfair and now happening on both threads about these hard drives. Either use your reservation or, if one comes up closer to you then pass the original one on and share the wealth. Reserving in Dublin when you want Cork is a joke!

It's getting out of hand. It's also nonsense to suggest it's in keeping with the community spirit to swap and share. The swaps are only because codes are being held to ransom and most of those reservations do not get the required swap and therefore are just held and let lapse. Argos are getting hundreds or possibly thousands at this stage of reservations with no associated collections or sales because of those threads. If i was in argos upper management and became aware of the BA threads i would be looking into legal advice to stop the disruption to regular business and waste of company resources.

Argos would need to invest in their IT infrastructure to stop the abuse by limiting reservations to one location for a single phone number or email address.

Admin here are quite happy to brush it under the carpet because it's bringing traffic to the site and that's all that matters to them but i hope it bites them in the ass if they continue to ignore the problem and argos's soliciters come knocking on the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

Quote: stooge
    have one for kilkenny available. Still holidng out hope that someone has one for athlone :)

What exactly is the problem with my post above? Athlone would have been the most convenient for me, Kilkenny was my backup as I would be passing closeby with work. Either way the code would be used.

I don't get the whole bitching about swapping codes. If everyone who reserves a code posts in the (codes) thread then eventually the codes will get used up by boards members via pm. The advantage being that boards members will get the bargain ahead of non boards members (one of the main selling points of bargain alerts IMO).

The bargain alert itself would have been fine, the panini got got got need use of reservation codes is ridiculous. To say people are doing it for the greater good is as big a line as when we were told the Irish bail out was going to be the cheapest in history.

Maybe some were doing it because they could go via work etcetera, going to wager my overdraft most weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

The bargain alert itself would have been fine, the panini got got got need use of reservation codes is f*cking ridiculous. To say people are doing it for the greater good is as big a bullsh*t as when we were told the Irish bail out was going to be the cheapest in history.

Maybe some were doing it because they could go via work etcetera, going to wager my overdraft most weren't.

Id say my circumstances were unique alright but that doesn't mean that reserving codes all over the country is a bad thing. The advantage being as stated above, that the likelihood is that boards member get the bargains ahead of non boards members.

(Btw I absolutely agree the code swapping should be in a dedicated thread and not in the original BA)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

I guess one problem is people using codes as currency. I need a code for store X, swap for code Y sort of thing.
    Which means you'll probably have many codes held on to until they expire .

I'm of the of the opinion that once a bargain is posted, you are already ahead of the average Joe to grab a bargain.
    I don't think that there is a need for people to snap up reserve codes just to pass on.
    Just look at how many BA boardsies are online at any one time. Everyone is well able to reserve for themselves.

I don't mind where people change their mind or can't make it to a store who then share their codes but block reserving codes is frustrating when you see stock disappear and then reappear when the reservation expires & for the price to go back up.

I know many will disagree with me and I'm not saying they're wrong but that's just my opinion.

Either way its not a perfect situation.

Banning reservation codes = quickest boardsies will get them, slower boardsies will miss out.

Allowing reservation codes = boardsies will get them but not necessarily those who would have been in the natural queue and it excludes those who don't like begging for codes & those who gave up when it looked like it was out of stock .

(the above is not a dig at anyone, I've looked for codes myself)

TLDR: both situations have positives but both are also a bit broken depending on your point of view.

Clarity will be the outcome of this thread anyway (I'm fairly hopeful), so irritant or not, the recent argos bargain threads have been useful. Whatever imperfect solution is decided upon, at least we can go back to being friendly consumerists again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

The Seagate thread is a great example of sharing Argos reservation codes on the forum. There were small amounts of stock in most Argos shops around the country but possibly down to the normal operation of the reservations system, stock was showing in shops, disappearing and showing again later. What i saw on the thread was if someone saw a few units available in a shop they would either post it on the thread or reserve one and offer the code if they didn't want it themselves. Whenever stock appeared it was gone within a couple of minutes so it wasn't just posters here reserving them. I didn't count but plenty of people on the thread asked for and got reservation codes that they would not have got otherwise and got a great bargain.

There were a couple of posters on the thread who would only offer a code in a swap for their own local store but most posters passed on codes without asking for anything in return and if they were lucky got the code they were looking for from someone else. A few people missed out and it seems that they are the ones complaining about the sharing of codes.

The only guidelines on code sharing is that it is not allowed on the main Argos thread. Most BA threads have discussion around how to get the item, which shop has the best deal, which website to buy from, sharing discount codes, etc and I don't see Argos bargains as any different.

So long as we all keep spending our money on items we never realised we needed until we saw a bargain posted on here.

db wrote: »
    ...A few people missed out and it seems that they are the ones complaining about the sharing of codes....

I don't see why anyone would complain about it otherwise.

Unless its clogging up the thread. Which it did here.

You've got mail "Anyone have a code..." etc. gets old real fast.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Really don't like the code swapping BS, it encourages others to grab codes with a view to swap. With 40 stores to nab codes from the likelihood of a viable swap system being implemented is ever so slim, what's very likely is that a lot of people will get squat while the codes are all tied up and the offer expires.

Really don't like the code swapping BS, it encourages others to grab codes with a view to swap. With 40 stores to nab codes from the likelihood of a viable swap system being implemented is ever so slim, what's very likely is that a lot of people will get squat while the codes are all tied up and the offer expires.

Precisely, this nonsense is actually limiting the amount of boards members that can actually make a valid reservation and optain the bargain. In this so called "act of community spirit" the bargain availability is being reduced until the bargain expires. It needs to be stamped out immediately.

It's turned into a pure joke and worse its getting!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Folks this is currently being discussed by the Mods and Admins and we're hoping to come up with a solution soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Starting today, there will be no further code requests or requests for code swaps. Posters will be allowed to post if they have codes available (in a dedicated thread) but no pulling of the proverbial p*ss will be allowed.

We hope that this help help ease the current sentiment - please continue to provide feedback as the new system settles in.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Posters will be allowed to post if they have codes available (in a dedicated thread) but no pulling of the proverbial p*ss will be allowed.

Can you clarify the above?

Does this mean no more 'I have a code for Cork, will swap for one in Monaghan?'

Advertisement