Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up from Cork, day in town, continue to airport

Options
  • 21-12-2014 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I'm coming up to Dublin from Cork in the new year, and heading for the airport. But my flight is not until late in the evening, and I want to spend the day in the city beforehand, specifically Grafton St/Stephen's Green.

What's my best plan?

a. Drive to one of the Luas Park and Rides on the southside, take the Luas in, Luas back out and continue north. Red Cow would be the most convenient, but looks like the wrong line - I should be aiming for the Green line?

b. Drive into town, park up in a multi-storey and go wild.

c. Drive straight to the airport, park in long term parking (I'm away for 8 days, so an extra few hours won't make any difference), then take a bus back into town.

Option b is probably the easiest, bar actually driving in the city centre, something I've never done (I've got as close as the Grand Canal a few times) but probably the most expensive. Option c is probably a bit silly really, but I couldn't think of a decent third option.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Option c would be my choice tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Stheno wrote: »
    Option c would be my choice tbh

Really? I gave it more thought last night, and I just can't see it. I have to drive to the airport, find long term parking, take the shuttle to the terminal and then walk to find the airlink bus. Then I'm on the wrong side of the city from where I want to be, so I walk to Stephen's Green, and do my thing.

Then the whole trip in reverse before my evening flight.

Plus what do I with my luggage? If I leave it in the car, I've got to get the bus back out, shuttle to the carpark, collect the luggage and shuttle back to the terminal.

I actually came back on here to remove option C cos it's so horrible, so what am I missing? Are the other 2 options even worse?

BTW, this will be a Saturday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is a left luggage facility in the airport - in the short term car park.

Go to quickpark (or whichever car park you choose)
    Bring luggage on shuttle - leave in left luggage opposite entrance to Terminal One
    Go to town - get 16 bus to bring you over Dame St./George's St
    Party
    Bus back to airport
    Pick up luggage
    Away with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

"C" is completely out of the question as is "A", way too much time lost travelling back and forward.Continue your drive into town, Naas Rd, Long Mile Rd, Crumlin Rd, Cork St and left onto Patrick St.
    I would suggest parking in Jury's Christchurch carpark its only a 15 minute walk to Grafton St via Dame St from there. The others are more central, but on a Saturday the streets can be a nightmare with traffic and can get confusing if you are not used to them.
    Give yourself an hour from the city centre to the airport. From Jury's you will do it in much less, but allow an hour just in case of delays.
    Hope that helps you.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

K flyers suggestion of Jurys Christchurch is excellent
    And it is hardly 15 mins more like 10 to Grafton St. It is the perfect solution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If I were you I'd get the train up, leave my bags in the lockers in Heuston, spend the day in town, then back to Heuston to pick up the luggage and off to the Airport on the bus.

Advertisement