Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Screwed up my Tektro R312..

• 21-12-2014 10:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

In a botched attempt to fite mudguards last night I unscrewed my front caliper, and I am having awful trouble remounting it correctly.

The fork is deep and I thought maybe the front caliper was recess fit, but I couldnt get a grip on a bolt/hex in the recess so I removed the weel and unscrewed the entire caliper from the forks. Naturally this led to spring dismounting, washers rolling accross the floor and various choice swear words..

Now I am trying to remount the caliper but cannot get it right at all, its lose too, with lots of play or else so tight so that it wont release. I am usually resaonably mechnically capable but for some reason this has me flumoxed. Spent the morning dicking arund with it!

So the bike is a Giant Defy 5. Would that be recessed? I.E is the a nut or receive in the head of the fork that I am missing?

If not I cant see how one gets the mounting bolt to the right tension, and the caliper just tight enough to operate.
    Any link to R312 diagrams or fitting instructions?

Very frustrating. Need my bike operational over the holidays to offset the Turkey and cabin fever..

Bad time to be looking for a bike mech with time to fix it!!
    I am in D15 if anyone has a contact who take a quick look tomorrow or Tuesday, I can leave it in if need be.

Any tips or links much appreciated

P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

If your brakes are similar to other tektro brakes I have had, then there is a diagram on the tektro website that may help. It's not a r312 but it appears to be close enough. Can't link as I'm still to dumb to operate a Mac but.... Www.tektro.com. Look under support for the t750.

It may be best to remove the whole asssembly from the bike. On mine the was a cylindrical nut that took an Allen key. If you google r312 brakes you see it on the rear of the central bolt.

Have fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

size 5 allen key into the recessed hole directly behind the brake on the fork

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

size 5 allen key into the recessed hole directly behind the brake on the fork

This, though last time I changed my brakes there was a hell of a lot of crud in that hole that needed clearing out before I could get near it with an allen key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

smacl wrote: »
    This, though last time I changed my brakes there was a hell of a lot of crud in that hole that needed clearing out before I could get near it with an allen key.
    +1 - and prone to some corrosion too. A soaking in WD40 or something similar after cleaning out all the crap.

Advertisement