Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon - newark

Options
  • 22-12-2014 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm heading to New York on Saturday fights at 9am just wondering what time I should be in the airport at? Is the 3 hours a bit to early?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

TBH 2.5 hours is about right. Even in Shannon the 2 security checks and immigration can leave you feeling a bit rushed. 2.5 hours gives time for a some tea as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Yes. Shannon is so quiet at that time 2.5hrs is plenty.

Although they do a great breakfast upstairs in the cafe if you're early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Thanks staying in the hotel beside it at breakfast is at 6 am so was just wondering weather to skip it or not! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Thanks staying in the hotel beside it at breakfast is at 6 am so was just wondering weather to skip it or not! Thanks

assuming you mean the park inn?

2 hours for a us flight in shannon is leaving yourself loads of time. its a very small airport and extremely quiet and you will be looking for stuff to pass the time if you check in at 7am for a 9am flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

rossie1977 wrote: »
    assuming you mean the park inn?

2 hours for a us flight in shannon is leaving yourself loads of time. its a very small airport and extremely quiet and you will be looking for stuff to pass the time if you check in at 7am for a 9am flight.

Yes that's the one.
    Thanks I've never been to Shannon. I believe that I'll have to go through immigration in Shannon aswell is that true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

you have to go through immigration in shannon yes.

but immigration in shannon is a breeze compared to dublin or if you were doing it state-side. check in, security and immigration are all very close together in shannon.

in november 2010 thanks to a delay we turned up at 8.10am for the 9am newark flight out of shannon. we checked in, upstairs through security and down the hall then to immigration. we were through immigration before 8.25pm...obviously i wouldn't be advising others to turn up 50 minutes before a US flight :)

if you have any worries just do a quick walk around shannon airport the night before your flight noting how far check in is from security. park inn is just across the road so you can pop over quite easily for 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

rossie1977 wrote: »
    if you have any worries just do a quick walk around shannon airport the night before your flight noting how far check in is from security. park inn is just across the road so you can pop over quite easily for 10 minutes.

It really is easy. I took that flight about three weeks ago and I was looking at the departures board and there were six flights leaving that morning. That's all. The only people in the entire airport were passengers for the Newark flight.

Us immigration was simple too. No queue just walk right up. You do have to go through another xray machine though but only for shoes.

Advertisement