Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C Driver Problems

Options
  • 22-12-2014 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭

Hy,

Recently my computer seems to be going really slow and internet browsers freeze a lot. I had the Free AVG and no virus were found and I did the free trail of the full version and only one or two minors issues were found and removed.

A few times recently after starting up the computer had to check the C driver for problems and the fist time it completely restored the system.

Anything think they can help me solve the problem. Was not sure to put it here or in the virus section but need some programmer that can really check the C Driver and tell me the problem.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

Hi,
    how old is the pc? when was windows update last executed?
    i would recommend a fresh install of windows and update all the drivers!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

IrlMonk wrote: »
    Hi,
    how old is the pc? when was windows update last executed?
    i would recommend a fresh install of windows and update all the drivers!

2.5 ish years, it was never used until around a year ago after hard driver when in other computer.

It's windows 7 HP and according to computer it 2009 version. Besides the automatic updates I have done nothing.

Hoping not to have to take it to a shop. Can I update windows free?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If Windows is frequently running chkdsk before booting it could indicate a failing hard drive. I would certainly be backing up all data at this point. When the computer locks up do any errors appear?

Nick

Do you have the w7 recovery disc?
    or check to see if there is a partition that can restore it to factory settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

yoyo wrote: »
    If Windows is frequently running chkdsk before booting it could indicate a failing hard drive. I would certainly be backing up all data at this point. When the computer locks up do any errors appear?

Nick

No errors have come up.
    Do you have the w7 recovery disc?
    or check to see if there is a partition that can restore it to factory settings.

Will have a look and see.

Would downloading Windows 7 Upgrade Adviser be any good to see any issues?

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Would downloading Windows 7 Upgrade Adviser be any good to see any issues?
    No don't bother, in my opinion thats just a gimmick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

avg slows the computer

I would do complete factory restore

i never seem to have any issues with avg!
    you should check your Programs and Features in the Control Panel and make sure that only one AV is installed otherwise you can have a conflict which can cause instability issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

IrlMonk wrote: »
    i never seem to have any issues with avg!

There were serious issues with the LinkScanner part of AVG a few years back, and a lot of people moved to MSE at the time, including myself...

First thing I would probably do is hit CTRL-ALT-DEL, go to Task Manager and see what is using up the memory and processor time... Check through your Programs and make sure you dont have two AV installed... Maybe uninstall AVG and reinstall the latest version (or MSE) in case there ARE any issues with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭wylie

There could be a number of issues causing the computer to run slow. Bad hard drive, full hard drive, programs running in the backround constantly looking for updates and bad internet packet loss etc. If i were you i would just back up my data and do a fresh install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Uninstall avg ,go to avast.com ,download free version.
    http://www.avast.com/en-eu/index
    do a full scan with avast for virus,es .
    Look at control panel,security, settings, turn on firewall,
    turn on download security updates automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Seriously, spend a bit of cash, install malware bytes. It should catch a good few of the issues. I've found it pretty good!

Advertisement