Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Espresso - how?

• 22-12-2014 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi, I dont know anything about coffee / coffee machines etc. and dont like cappachino/lattes etc however I love espresso and would like to know how I can make these at home / which machine / coffees are best for this? I remembered from ages ago that there were coffee experts on boards so thats why I thought to ask you on here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I dont have anyone else to ask about this thank you x

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

it all depends on how much you're willing to spend! You can pay thousands for a good espresso machine or you could pay €100 for a Nespresso one that uses the pods. I have a Nespresso and find them very handy. I wouldn't say it's the nicest espresso I've tasted, but it comes very close and there's no cleaning involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭5littleangels

I just thought that espresso would be some type of plain coffee not come in a pod/ need one of those machines that make capachino etc? i never realised it was a 'flavour' if you know what i mean I thought it was just strong coffee granules?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What you need for espresso is an espresso machine, e.g Gaggia Classic or Rancillio Silvia would be considered good machines for home use.

You will also need a grinder capable of producing a consistent, fine grind and cpaable of making small adjustments to the grind in order to get the correct fineness for the beans you are using.

After that you need a lot of patience as there is a lot of trial and error involved.

If you wanted a cheaper alternative and an "Espresso-like" drink, you could get a hand grinder and a stove top moka pot, which will get you pretty good coffee(though not really espresso) at a fraction of the cost.

Personally I wouldn't bother with Nespresso or any other pod based system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Buy a Nespresso machine. It sounds like that's exactly what you're after.

You'll receive a €90 voucher for pods too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I'd avoid any pod machine. Very inferior espresso and a coffee cul-de-sac. Even a "bean to cup" machine would give a decent shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I'd avoid any pod machine. Very inferior espresso and a coffee cul-de-sac. Even a "bean to cup" machine would give a decent shot.

well i assumed that. But for a 10second non messy and tasty espresso in the morning its a godsend! I think based on the OP that will do the job for him nicely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Ever try a mokka pot? They're the poor mans expresso machine. I find them great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I'd avoid any pod machine.

I'd agree - they are the inkjet printers of the drinks world - cheap to buy the machine - pay a fortune in refills.

I still considered buying one for the convenience (and I can afford it) but the fact you can't recycle the pods ( a mix of aluminium and coffee grounds) put an end to that permanently.

I Moka Pot or Aeropress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Did.ie have a delonghi espresso machine for €70 which looks like gvfm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

get an aeropress and a fine mesh filter for it, learn how to use it inverted and off you go. :)

personally, I'd say to learn one thing at a time so you don't overwhelm yourself, start with pre-ground beans and experiment with different types of coffee to see what you like and go from there.

next thing you know you'll be roasting and grinding your own beans at home and have some mad expensive coffee machine to brew it all in. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement