Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun on Aer Lingus into DUB

Options
  • 22-12-2014 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I got my import permit and license, and am about to book my flights from Dub to SFO return to pick up my O/U Citori.

Reading through the Aer Lingus terms of carriage, among other restrictions the shotgun must be:

"Sport Guns, ammunition and cartridges must be packed separately from other baggage."

Forgive the obvious question, but does this mean that the gun must be completely on its own in its own separate suitcase?

Has anyone here flown in to Dublin with a firearm recently?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Short answer, yes.

Longer answer, yes, seperate case, securely lockable (most cases made with this in mind have a hole to thread a padlock through and it's an idea to tape over the latches so they don't pop open in loading/unloading the plane and get damaged) but don't lock it until you get to the airport because they'll want to inspect it. Baggage handlers come under "Act of God" in your insurance, so make sure the firearm's well wrapped if the case doesn't have a foam cutout. Don't store ammunition in the case, it needs a third, seperate container and they're sticklers for that. The ammunition case and firearm go through outsize luggage usually for x-ray.

When you get to the far end, the case isn't supposed to be on the main baggage carousel (though that's happened) but at the desk; look for the uncomfortable looking trainee airport guy who's not quite sure what's going on and the burly security guys who either look fantastically bored (which you want) or look like they're replaying the start of Die Hard 2 in their heads (which means it'll take an extra ten minutes).

Keep your paperwork about you at all times, not in the case; and try not to put a big "Firearms" sticker on the side if you can.

Have fun!

edit: Ah. SFO. Right. Can't use normal padlocks so, you have to use TSA-approved locks. You can buy those in SF easily enough. But if you don't use them, the TSA will just cut the locks off the case and may impound it (happened a few years back to some Canadian friends who'd been diverted from their original Canadian airport to a US one for an emergency landing. They never got off airside - the plane was refueled and turned round on the spot - but the TSA still boarded and inspected the luggage, cut open their locks and impounded the rifles for not having appropriate US paperwork - even though the lads were flying from Finland to Canada with no US leg planned).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Thanks for the info.

I have flown internally in the US with guns before - no problem, and I was able to use a normal lock. which I opened for TSA when they wanted me to. The firearms label always goes inside the case on internal flights (lee likely to be robbed).

For this trip I intend to use the case below, and put it inside a suitcase with nothing else, other than some foam padding.
    Do you see any issues with this?

2skb-3209b_open_left_xlarge.png

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I don't see any place on that case for a padlock to go through, so you'd need to be able to lock the suitcase; might not be an issue if it's one of those hardshell samsonite deals, but if it's just a fabric one they might not accept it. The padding looks okay, hard to tell from the photo how tough the case is though. But the locks might cause you some fun. Or might not, you might get a TSA agent who's fine with it. But myself, I wouldn't try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Lots of French and Italian hunters fly into Dublin every year for Snipe and Woodcock shooting. Should be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I'd get a peli case or storm case if I were you. US baggage handlers are not know for their delicate handling of suit cases either.Plus there are more antis over there in SFO than here so it wouldnt be unknown for one of them to"accidently on purpose" use your gun case as an emergency set of chocks for the plane if they can get away with it:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Pkiernan wrote: »
    "Sport Guns, ammunition and cartridges must be packed separately from other baggage."
    I have done the trans-Atlantic many a time. Although, not the airports you are using nor Aer Lingus. I have always put tons of stuff in with the 700 and 10/22. Never a problem either side.

Generally speaking, the TSA cares about the safety of the flight that you are on and American Laws. TSA is not there to enforce Aer Lingus' rules, that's what the agent is for.

With that said, Aer Lingus may do as they please. Never traveled AL with firearms, always an American based carrier.

If you had no receiver but: ammo, scopes, a barrel, triggers, and a stock. You wouldn't even have to talk to TSA. However, I would suggest that you do. When the scanner lights up like a Christmas tree, it is nice to have already talked to them.

Since you have a firearm, you will indeed talk to them.

You can probably use any locks you like. You'll be walked to the scanner and your case opened, at which time you can give them the locks. They'll take them and you can head to the pub, as that is [hopefully] the last time you'll see the case until the auld sod. That's my routine. However, is it worth it to forego the TSA approved locks and end up meeting "that" agent? I would take Spark's advice and get the locks. FWIW, my case has the combo dial lock!

Check to see how much ammo you can bring. Probably, 10lbs. Bring as much as you can. Get some stuff that is hard to come by in Ireland. The manufacturer's cardboard case is fine. If you want to be redundant, buy yourself a Zombie box and give it to someone at home.

Next, head to a outlet store and get a cheap, lockable ($50) hard suit case and put the smaller case shown inside. Pack some clothing around it and top off the rest with ammo.

In some states, your smaller case is considered a locked case as state laws vary on the definition of "locked." In a few states, a zippered case is considered locked. However, TSA does appear to want lock and key.

If you are bringing back a high end scope, print this page, and put both in your carry on.

Don't know what it is like for you lads in AZ when it comes to paperwork. However, if there is some, put it in the case. The security lads in Eire always like my ATF and FFL forms when I am returning to the States.

The only thing I disagree with Sparks' #2 part is labeling the baggage handlers as an act of God. Truly I tell thee, what they do to bags, has nothing to do with God. :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

have you talked to usa customs and irish customs yet

from the usa you need export licence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

If it's a permanent export from the US, as said, you will need a State Department export permit. However, you ARE NOT allowed to carry the firearm out of the US.
    It must be shipped out by a suitable (traceable) carrier.

This rule was brought in after 9/11.
    It may be different if you are/were a legal resident of the US but I would check.

As said, the airline will ask you to sign a declaration the firearm is unloaded & put that into the gun case. Then the TSA will ask you to open the case so they can swab the inside/check whatever & then relock it. They take it from there onwards.

In Ireland, you should declare it as an import/firearm to customs, show your import permit & domestic licence.

Advertisement