Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring an electric vehicle

Options
  • 22-12-2014 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any recent experience of insuring an EV - what is the best option out there?

123.ie wont quote and direct me to KennCo - who also wont quote and ask me to call
    Aviva.ie insists on having a valid engine capacity - even though its worked out my car from the reg number as an EV
    Chill.ie will quote with the cheapest being Aviva
    AIB.ie gave me an outrageous quote
    Liberty Insurance - almost as bad as AIB
    The AA would not quote online
    On an initial quote, Zurich offered a good quote on 3rd party, but expensive for compreshensive
    Allianz has a very competitive base price with lots of optinal extras
    OneDirect wont recognise an electric vehicle
    No Nonsence - Call needed
    Its4women.ie (AIG) came in very competitive fully comp with roadside assistance
    25plus.ie (AIG) was a few euro more than its4women (may have got some details different)
    AIG.ie recognises car as electric, but demands you specify a fuel type (which you cant)
    Britton Insurance were reasonably competitive but not as good as AIG
    insure4less.ie wont quote online

Who have I missed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

Aviva quoted me €280 fully comp. for new Leaf sve. Didn't think it was too bad and seems to be on a par with other quotes I have heard about.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Pathetic that so many of the insurers won't recognise an EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

You need to call in case of many insurers, as they have somehow problems with 0cc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

September1 wrote: »
    You need to call in case of many insurers, as they have somehow problems with 0cc

Never had a problem, used broker, T Oscar Rollins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

reboot wrote: »
    Never had a problem, used broker, T Oscar Rollins.

Northern Ireland only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 zerohero2015

broker will do the business for ya, try Aaran Insurance 01 478 2020,they do Nissan leaf with Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

homer911 wrote: »
    Northern Ireland only

Sorry, its all I know, can no one knock a few Insurance heads together?
    Quite a bit of vandalism at CPs in the North, Ballynahinch CP so badly damaged, that it has been removed altogether and never replaced,Co.Down.
    I have suffered some vandalism in Donard Pk, Newcastle and am told other EV had a similar attempt at removing the lead while charging.The result being a broken door, over the socket in the car.
    Am I right in saying as this is a private car park, insurance may not cover any damage.?

denismac wrote: »
    Aviva quoted me €280 fully comp. for new Leaf sve. Didn't think it was too bad and seems to be on a par with other quotes I have heard about.

Rang Aviva and got sorted

FYI, the minimum premium Aviva has is €280. If you get a quote of €280 from Aviva you should play around with the optional extras and you may get extra cover for the same price.

I asked for step back protection and the guy I spoke to told me this and swapped out the step back for full protection (2 claims in 3 years) and it was still €280.

I reported the problem with their website and they gave me the online discount

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭supaburger

so aviva is the best deal around

i just switched my 25plus ins from an avensis 1.8 02 to a leaf sv 151 i had to pay 92€ extra
    that kinda bother me since my ins was already quite high even if i have 9+ years bonus (480 €)

can you cancell the isnruance an get your money back before it finishes?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Leafo

You usually have a cooling off period, if you only switched in the last few days you might be able to cancel altogether with no penalty. But you can cancel your policy at any point during the year, if you paid the lot upfront you can get a refund pro data for the percentage of the year remaining. If you're on direct debit you might lose a bit compared to upfront payment as they usually front load the payments (higher initial payment and 9-10 monthly payments thereafter), but you should be able to cancel and any remaining DD payments are waived.

Do try Aviva, it seems almost everyone gets €280.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I traded in my 04 1.9 tdi Audi and transfered the insurance over to the Leaf.
    I got €40 refund, having in mind I have paid in full €280 last August.
    I do have 5 other policies with Aviva, so I guess that helps, but in general, over the years Aviva/former Hibernian/ have always beaten the competition...
    Do call them and once you get it, on your next year renewal, and complain that is ridiculously expensive and you wish to get it sorted... The trick has always worked for me.
    As a result - my first 1L car insurance was €1350 when a few years later a 1.9TDI was €280.

The customer is always right, they say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

peposhi wrote: »
    I traded in my 04 1.9 tdi Audi and transfered the insurance over to the Leaf.
    I got €40 refund, having in mind I have paid in full €280 last August.
    I do have 5 other policies with Aviva, so I guess that helps, but in general, over the years Aviva/former Hibernian/ have always beaten the competition...
    Do call them and once you get it, on your next year renewal, and complain that is ridiculously expensive and you wish to get it sorted... The trick has always worked for me.
    As a result - my first 1L car insurance was €1350 when a few years later a 1.9TDI was €280.

The customer is always right, they say :)

How is the Leaf treated for "young" drivers.
    Was at the SEAI show today and took a test drive and as they have a 4k scrappage deal to end of month I am thinking of buying one and trading in my son's 1999 Opel 1.2 corsa, he is 23 and I know a 2 litre is off the table for him insurance wise
    Thanks

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

How is the Leaf treated for "young" drivers.
    Was at the SEAI show today and took a test drive and as they have a 4k scrappage deal to end of month I am thinking of buying one and trading in my son's 1999 Opel 1.2 corsa, he is 23 and I know a 2 litre is off the table for him insurance wise
    Thanks

The Leaf is in one of the lowest categories. It's probable your insurance will not change significantly. All EVs get between a 7.5% and 20% discount on insurance in addition to the low category, depending on insurer.

I'm in my twenties and moved insurance from a €16k 2012 Avensis to a €55k BMW i3, added open driving and still got more than €100 back from AXA.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

cros13 wrote: »
    The Leaf is in one of the lowest categories. It's probable your insurance will not change significantly. All EVs get between a 7.5% and 20% discount on insurance in addition to the low category, depending on insurer.

I'm in my twenties and moved insurance from a €16k 2012 Avensis to a €55k BMW i3, added open driving and still got more than €100 back from AXA.

Mind me asking what your premium is ?

I was quoted €398 fully comp (with Stepback Protection) today for the BMW i3 by Aviva and I have 20 years on you :( Was hoping it'd be around the €280 mark as seems to be the case for a Leaf....

AA came in around about the same as Aviva.

caster wrote: »
    Mind me asking what your premium is ?

I was quoted €398 fully comp (with Stepback Protection) today for the BMW i3 by Aviva and I have 20 years on you :( Was hoping it'd be around the €280 mark as seems to be the case for a Leaf....

AA came in around about the same as Aviva.

I've quite a high premium as I didn't have a no-claims bonus moving to AXA (despite no accidents and more than 10 years driving experience, due to a combination of living abroad and only being a named driver on a policy here). My premium was around €900 and reduced to a little over €800 when I changed it from the Leaf to the i3.

I've quite a high premium as I didn't have a no-claims bonus moving to AXA (despite no accidents and more than 10 years driving experience, due to a combination of living abroad and only being a named driver on a policy here). My premium was around €900 and reduced to a little over €800 when I changed it from the Leaf to the i3.

The premium you pay is an absolute joke for a driver with 10 years experience! Shame on the insurer!!!
    The system needs a serious check up as I have been into arguments with the insurer nearly every year over increased /sometimes ridiculously/ premium. We eventually managed to get the 2 family cars insured for all together less than 600 bucks...

So they still penalise younger guys, its bringing back memories - I had an Alfa when i was late 20's and that was way worse! At least its big savings in all other areas.

Interesting that it reduced when you moved to the i3, I would have thought the higher value plus higher bhp would have pushed it up.

So they still penalise younger guys, its bringing back memories - I had an Alfa when i was late 20's and that was way worse! At least its big savings in all other areas.

Interesting that it reduced when you moved to the i3, I would have thought the higher value plus higher bhp would have pushed it up.

Well they can't penalise younger guys specifically. The reason for the low quote is that BMW quoted repair costs to the insurance companies for common accidents lower than a 1-series, pretty much any body panel can for example can be replaced for around €100 plus labor. The other reason is that they don't look at motor power for EVs yet, they're system still works on engine displacement for which the answer for every EV is zero.

The other reason is that they don't look at motor power for EVs yet, they're system still works on engine displacement for which the answer for every EV is zero.

Yeah, I enjoyed telling the agent in Aviva that it was 0 cc when asked about that ! I think it was his first time quoting for electric. All good, just so long as they don't start asking for the 0 to 100km/h time some day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Got my i3 Rex 6 weeks ago and transferred my insurance from my BMW 730Ld. I'm with FBD through a broker, Campions.

I was paying approx €500 for the 730 and FBD couldn't give me a price for cover as they had never insured an i3 but said I was covered and would let me know the rate asap.

Email today and FBD want €180 for the remaining 6 months on my policy!!! Thats nearly €900 a year, I'm 44 with a full no claims. I've told the broker that I'm going to cancel the policy and look for an alternative.

Rang Zurich and they quoted me €505 for the year - still a bit steep in my opinion, anyone got a recommendation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Received a fantastic deal with AA. Total protection on my no claim and 150 excess. €380.99

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Received a fantastic deal with AA. Total protection on my no claim and 150 excess. €380.99

Which insurance provider was it?

Which insurance provider was it?

My insurance is not up until 1/1/16. I've not had the paperwork yet but I'll keep you updated

Scottie99 wrote: »
    My insurance is not up until 1/1/16. I've not had the paperwork yet but I'll keep you updated

It was an AVIA policy. I note on the Schedule it says €432.14 but I received further discount

Renewal has come in again, one year on.

Premium was €280 last year, now coming in at €305.91 (Aviva), no change in cover

That's an increase of 9.3% which isn't bad considering the headline increases that have made the news

Probably not worth the effort to shop around..

Premium was €280 last year, now coming in at €305.91 (Aviva), no change in cover

That's an increase of 9.3% which isn't bad considering the headline increases that have made the news

I suppose you could ask them if it's their best offer? 😀😜

Not worth shopping around, definitely. I went through it and ended up with Aviva again.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭scudodave

Got my renewal quote from Aviva E616.38 on a 151 Leaf SV. Not quite sure what I paid last year as I changed mid term but I did get a refund of E230.
    Anyone getting any reasonable quotes?
    Full clean licence 30:years+ no claims or penalty points.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

scudodave wrote: »
    Got my renewal quote from Aviva E616.38 on a 151 Leaf SV. Not quite sure what I paid last year as I changed mid term but I did get a refund of E230.
    Anyone getting any reasonable quotes?
    Full clean licence 30:years+ no claims or penalty points.
    Thanks.

Try the AA, my missus just got cover yesterday for a 151 SV leaf for €505 - first time in her own name (5 years of named driver) including open drive, step back protection and me added as a named driver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

our insurance is going down on buying the Leaf, not much but lower

Advertisement