Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring an electric vehicle

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Just got my renewal quote.

Up from €500 to €910!

I have an outstanding claim which means they know I can't shop around. So they can just charge whatever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Just got my renewal quote.

Up from €500 to €910!

I have an outstanding claim which means they know I can't shop around. So they can just charge whatever they want.

Honestly, it is still reasonable... With a settled claim last year you will not get much better anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭scudodave

Original quote from Aviva 616, which they reduced to 590. Most quotes in that general ball park. Phoned Zurich as a last resort to my surprise they offer fully comp with bonus protection for under 460. If I bought today.
    Frustrating and time consuming but happy with the quote.
    Scudodave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Firblog

Dunno what I'm doing wrong, was quoted €492 by aviva (on phone as wouldn't quote online) and nearly €900 by 25plus :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Fastpud

Just got quotes of €602, €604 & €783 from AA, FBD and Aviva respectively, nothing near the €300 - €400 people are quoting above. I'm assuming that being a Dub has its drawbacks! Bit disappointed as I hoped to see a reduction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Fastpud wrote: »
    Just got quotes of €602, €604 & €783 from AA, FBD and Aviva respectively, nothing near the €300 - €400 people are quoting above. I'm assuming that being a Dub has its drawbacks! Bit disappointed as I hoped to see a reduction.

Try Zurich.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

Has anyone got any recent experience to add to this? Insurance on my Leaf is up at the end of the month and I've been quoted €374 by Aviva this time around (Two drivers, both over 50, Driver #2 has their own car)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Zurich were the cheapest for me for renewal this month. €349

Full comp, full bonus protection and 24hr rescue.

Got crazy figures from others: €600-€800

Two full license drivers with 2 cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

KCross wrote: »
    Zurich were the cheapest for me for renewal this month. €349

Full comp, full bonus protection and 24hr rescue.

That seems to be an excellent quote to me (in an irish context!).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

That seems to be an excellent quote to me (in an irish context!).

I was with AXA and paid €450, I think, last year and their renewal came in the post before xmas at €850!!!!!!!!! And I had been with them for the previous 3 years so they definitely don't understand loyalty. I didn't even call them to give them a chance to requote.

Zurich were by far the cheapest. I wonder are they giving good quotes for EV's or are they just cheaper in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

they definitely don't understand loyalty. I didn't even call them to give them a chance to requote.
    The days of loyalty in most business sectors are long gone. That's particularly the case when it comes to financial products - and most definitely when it comes to insurance.
    The only thing you will get for misplaced loyalty these days is punishment (by way of the renewal quotation).
    Zurich were by far the cheapest. I wonder are they giving good quotes for EV's or are they just cheaper in general.
    I know that my driving profile has changed completely as a result of switching to an EV. I used to drive pretty aggressively and now I'm the complete opposite. I can't help but be a safer insurable risk as a consequence. Whether that sort of stuff gets factored in remains to be seen. Someone made the point on here that EV figures are so low that it wouldn't really make much of a statistical difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Scottie99

My renewal was around €850 for two years with blue insurance. Two drivers max no claims

Advertisement