Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

come dine with me venison recipe

Options
  • 22-12-2014 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi,
    by any chance would somebody have a link to the venison stew recipe that I saw on come dine with me yesterday? It was a Christmas celebrity one. I can't seem to find it on the channel 4 website but I only have internet on my phone so it's tricky enough.
    The venison was marinated in stout and porter but I can't remember what she cooked it in. I think she only cooked it with onions and had mashed poppys and red cabbage to go with it. Sounds unreal.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Hi,
    by any chance would somebody have a link to the venison stew recipe that I saw on come dine with me yesterday? It was a Christmas celebrity one. I can't seem to find it on the channel 4 website but I only have internet on my phone so it's tricky enough.
    The venison was marinated in stout and porter but I can't remember what she cooked it in. I think she only cooked it with onions and had mashed poppys and red cabbage to go with it. Sounds unreal.
    Thanks

I don't have a link but any time I've checked a CDWM recipe on the Channel website it always seemed to be way off. Even though it's a cookery programme it's not really a cookery programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mrs.machine

Ok thanks. Would you have any suggestion about what liquid to stew it in? I a very similar recipe on Delia Smiths website and she said to cook it in the marinade. There's no water added so it would be cooked in stout and port...sounds a bit much to me is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭djerk

id haphazard a guess and say they were braising the meat and not making an all out stew. basically, you'd sear the meat in a heavy pan/crock pot first and then set the meat aside, add your chopped onions and veg and brown them nicely. Put the meat back in then add some liquid (as in port/stout/stock/water whatever you choose.. but just enough so you're not actually covering the meat and veg, bring to a simmer cover the pot and throw into an oven at about 180. If you'd like to add more veg, figure the cooking time for the meat and add the veg about 40 mins from the end of cooking time.

a good stew takes time to break down the tough meat until it's nice and tender so you might have to check it from time to time and add more stock/water/port to keep from drying out.. i'd imagine if you modified a decent beef stew recipe to the above you wont go far wrong. sry i just go by rule of thumb myself so cant help you more than that :)

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mrs.machine

Yep, that's what I remember she did now that you've jogged my memory but she had it marinating over night (I've managed to do that bit right ;) I think...). She cooked it in a casserole for 3 hours though! I don't think my meat needs that much time tbh. I'll chance adding stock if it needs it. Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

She didnt sear the venison and cooked it for 6 hours in irish stout;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ps its venison so if you cook it at 130 for 6 hours you be on right track, if you need coal for the fire cook it at 180 for 6 hours !!

Casserole should simmer low and long, not boil

Advertisement