Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-stick coating flaking off wok. Is it still usable?

Options
  • 22-12-2014 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭

Was heating up some oil in my wok last night and I got a little delayed organizing the ingredients (normally I have these ready to throw in as soon as the oil heats up) so the oil was sizzling away in the wok at high-temperature for 30-45 seconds.

As a result the black "non-stick" coating started coming off the bottom so I took it off the heat and threw the oil out. There was a large silver patch at the bottom of the pan. When I tried to re-heat some oil, it started to spit, which isn't normal for this pan.

I've learned my lesson to not leave a wok heating up like that, but is it a lost-cause and should I throw it out, or does it just need to be seasoned and the cooking surface is still ok despite the non-stick coating flaking off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

hard to say, the only way to tell is to try it out and see if it still works ok without too much stick.

What good is a wok that can't take high temps? woking is all about high heat!

if you end up throwing it out, I recommend getting a carbon steel one from an Asian shop. Season it well and it will serve you well for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

hard to say, the only way to tell is to try it out and see if it still works ok without too much stick.

What good is a wok that can't take high temps? woking is all about high heat!

if you end up throwing it out, I recommend getting a carbon steel one from an Asian shop. Season it well and it will serve you well for many years.

Yep spotted a 13" one in the local Asian shop for 8 euro, so I'll probably go for that.

What exactly is the seasoning process? Just coat it with oil, or does it need to be hot to coat it?

If I bought one today can I cook with it tonight, or does the seasoning process take a while?

Also I take it that you don't use soap to clean it... so just stick it in a plastic bag when storing it and leave it unwashed?

mrcheez wrote: »
    What exactly is the seasoning process? Just coat it with oil, or does it need to be hot to coat it?

Found a handy page with tips on how to season by Ken Hom

http://www.achica.com/ACHICALiving/2010/03/ken-hom-dishes-out-his-advice-on-wok-cooking/

so seems it only takes about 20 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i seasoned mine a few years ago so its all very vague but it took a couple of hours and a lot of smoke :) I remember repeatedly coating it in oil and burning it off. so I recommend you google a little deeper and check a few different procedures.

I simply rinse mine under a hot tap while giving it a quick scrub with a washing up brush.

Just curious, does this washing up method only apply to woks, or should all cookware be cleaned sans washing up liquid? (e.g. frying pan)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Caimchad93

I don't trust non-stick pan Or any other pot like that...
    I just heard its bad for health.

Advertisement