Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To freeze a pie cooked or uncooked

• 22-12-2014 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭

I'm making traditional french canadian Tourtiere today (basically a pork pie with shortcrust pastry).
    Is it better to freeze the pie before baking, or after...or is there any difference?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

I'd cook it first, freeze it. Then when you want to use it, defrost fully in the fridge and cook it for 20-25 minutes at 180c until piping hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd say cook it after freezing. What's the point in cooking it twice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

I'd say cook it after freezing. What's the point in cooking it twice?

I'm just going by any of the pies you can buy in the shop, they're already cooked. 20-25 minutes from chilled is what they recommend

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd also freeze uncooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I often freeze pies. I also freeze them uncooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,484 ✭✭✭✭Alun

+1 for uncooked. The contents can be pre-cooked, depending on what kind of pie it is, but let it cool first, then fill the pastry case and freeze with the pastry uncooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Caimchad93

It can freeze easily with proper way then good to freeze it.
    I freeze my dough with proper plastic bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll go with the majority and freeze them uncooked. 16 for dinner on the 27th so making pies ahead so I can be the hostess with the mostess!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Caimchad93

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll go with the majority and freeze them uncooked. 16 for dinner on the 27th so making pies ahead so I can be the hostess with the mostess!

Yeah, like ready made pratha, etc You can freeze pastry as Cool your baked pastries completely and layer them between sheets of wax paper in an air-tight container before putting them in the freezer where they'll keep for up to two weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

you could do both

I would say uncooked would taste better than cooked and reheated

• Advertisement
Advertisement