Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stonemad -two Days, two HMs

Options
  • 22-12-2014 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I am giving serious thoughts to entering Stonemad event in July and doing a Half Marathon on consecutive days. I am consistently running for almost a year now and have two HMs to date (2:11 & 1:59). Since the last half in November I have been following a Hal Higdon intermediate program which calls for running 5 times a week (so far so good) - this will see me do another Half end of Feb/start of March.

Is doing SM just that, mad - it is a lovely part of the country and the routes/setup appeal to me.

What sort of training do people do for such an event? Slowly build two long runs into my regime and then bring them close together??
    My overall aim is to get into more trail/mountainy stuff and enter the likes of Art O Neill challange, etc.

** Was not sure to put this in General or Events, please move if more appropriate.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Some people will do the ultras back-to-back, so running two HMs is neither particularly mad nor particularly tough.

Training should be more or less the same as for a single HM with maybe a few back-to-back runs to get used to running on tired legs. However, the real key ingredient is to run the first race slower than you would for a single HM.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I wouldn't stress it too much. I'm assuming the goal is survival, rather than racing the two HMs? If so, I'd continue with your HM training, and extend the long run to around 15/16 miles. Try to build up to an 8-10 mile run the day before your long run and that'll see you well prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭babalobioddy

Hi,
    I'm from that part of the world and did both half's last year, It was very enjoyable particularly the second day as the route takes you through St.Mullins and along the river up to Graignamanagh. Day 1 is a little more straight forward as its all along the bank of the river from Bagnelstown to Graignamanagh. Training wise i did some back to back longish runs for a couple of weekends before it. 11 miles Saturday and Sunday. I dont think it requires any major special training other than that. As im from the area if i can help with anything you can pm me. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I did the 2 x HMs the last two years and highly recommend it.

I tried to do decent back to back sessions for a couple of weeks beforehand but nothing special other than that.

eg

Sat -Tempo session
    Sun - LSR

or something along those lines. Whatever you decide just go for it, very friendly race and lovely routes, just don't go too hard on day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

Guys - thanks for the tips. I am going to go for it!

I should have at least 2 or 3 more HMs under the belt by July so will be a lot fitter - phyisiclaly and mentally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

Guys - thanks for the tips. I am going to go for it!

I should have at least 2 or 3 more HMs under the belt by July so will be a lot fitter - physically and mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Follow a marathon training plan, and get ready for DCM as well

Advertisement